Another fatal Viper crash , looks like a GTS ....

OP
OP
V

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony Burgi, a 36-year-old lawyer from Gilbert, was eastbound on Riggs Road near Recker Road about 5:20 a.m., when he went off the road and slammed into the back of an 18-wheeler dump truck bed, said Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office spokesman deputy Doug Matteson.

Burgi was ejected and suffered serious head and internal injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

Matteson said he didn’t know how fast the Viper was traveling, but said it struck the dump truck bed with such force that the dump truck bed was pushed 15 feet.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matteson said he didn’t know how fast the Viper was traveling, but said it struck the dump truck bed with such force that the dump truck bed was pushed 15 feet.

deleted.

No disrespect intended to the victim. RIP. It is just aggravating when the media sensationalizes, particularly an accident as horrific as this one.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, no sensationalism in this statement. Doug Matteson is one of the PIOs (Public Information Officer) for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office. The accident did in fact move the trailer 10 to 15 feet. The speed at impact has not yet been determined. I will say though that most of the "facts" reported on the news are incorrect. By the way, the car was a 2006.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad,

I still believe traction and skid control should be standard on a Viper. They should allow the driver to disable both for racing purposes.

There is just too much torque for the average driver. By making it standard would prevent many single car Viper accidents.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still believe traction and skid control should be standard on a Viper. They should allow the driver to disable both for racing purposes.

With the speed that this car hit, I don't think it would have helped him one bit, unfortunately.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this case, I'm afraid you're right, it wouldn't have helped. I'm a little torn on the subject of traction control, skid control (ABS), and anti-rollover computers such as Stabilitrack. I think they are great for the average driver and daily driver vehicles. I have all three on the Hummer and its fine for that vehicle but I don't want any of them on the Viper, mine at least. I kind of like the feeling the car has without them. I have however seen many accidents that were minimized by such devices though. The greatest control device ever placed in an automobile is sitting in the driver's seat of every car, some just work better than others.

FrViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, when you are ejected, that means the person was not wearing a seat belt. The system was designed to protect the occupants when they are properly restrained. It is truly unfortunate.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad,

There is just too much torque for the average driver....

irony this comes from a previous multi-vette owner :D

as for traction control, I have 3 words: Eddie, Griffin, and Enzo

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
irony this comes from a previous multi-vette owner :D

as for traction control, I have 3 words: Eddie, Griffin, and Enzo

In the Enzo video, one can clearly see that the front wheels are cranked over to the right and the car understeered (or was understeered) into the concrete barrier. A car with a mid or rear mounted engine will have a tendency to understeer, especially if the front wheels are further unweighted by being on the accelerator while entering a corner. Traction control had nothing to do with the Enzo crash.

DrDJ

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this crash, and to Counselor Burgi's defense, even in a Viper you just do not go off the road when going in a straight line at speed without some sort of failure or intervening force. How sad would be to have a tire or other failure involved, or how just plain horrible to have had another hit-and-run vehicle involved. That was not all him. No way.

The local paper has an obituary online:

You must be registered for see images attach

"Anthony "Tony" Burgi, 36, passed away on March 27, 2007 in an automobile accident in Gilbert, AZ. Tony was born June 16, 1970 in Schenectay, NY, one of six children. Tony was an attorney with a private practice in Gilbert. He was a loving husband to Camie (White) Burgi and an adoring father to Brady, Reagan and Reese. He is also survived by his mother, Bonita Fish; father, Bill Burgi; brothers, Gregory and Stephen Burgi; sisters, Terri (David) Bushman, April (Scott) VanWagenen, Jodeen (Eric) Lindstrom; and mother and father-in-law, Jerry and Elouise White. A funeral service will be held at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Higley Ward, 495 S. Greenfield Rd. in Gilbert, AZ. on Monday, April 2, at 10:00 a.m. Interment will be at Mt. View Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 7900 E. Apache Trail, Mesa, AZ. In lieu of flowers, the family requests contributions to The Burgi Children Trust Account @ Chase Acct. # 2735973592. Bunker's University Chapel handled the arrangements. 480-830-4105."

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, when you are ejected, that means the person was not wearing a seat belt. The system was designed to protect the occupants when they are properly restrained. It is truly unfortunate.

That is a safe assumption in 99.9% of the crashes, but I've seen a couple where someone has been ejected despite wearing a seatbelt.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And I hate to contradict the news reports, but this driver was not really ejected in the manner most would think.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And I hate to contradict the news reports, but this driver was not really ejected in the manner most would think.
It is quite obvious that FrViper did not actually look at the pictures of the car post-crash. When the seat-belt attachment points have been compromised (and I hate to say it but possibly Counselor Burgi was not "intact"), saying a fellow Viper brother was not belted in is very disrespectful.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456