Antifreeze / Oil leak?? What is wrong now? Not happy...

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well just installed a new split second box and datalogging system to my 2002 RT/10. Drove it the last few days without a problem. Just got done driving it and pulled it into the garage. Backed it out to wash it and saw a puddle of what looks to be oil. This is not engine oil as it is to clear. I jacked the car up and from under the car I see some green antifreeze on the frame under the oil filter. Then I see some oil along side the block right under the alternator. So... where the heck is this coming from?? :dunno: Sorry for the large pictures.

Not very happy as I just got this thing running... :mad:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like two different issues to me. Check radiator and hoses for leaks (spray everything off with engine cleaner and water then look). Post up your findings if you need more help. Good luck. Don't panic.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
One other note...Gen II OEM power steering fluid is clear...at least when it goes in. Check reservoir (including the cap...loose cap can start a fire), hoses, steering rack.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I checked the power steering fluid and it does look low. The cap was tight as could be. I just do not know why it would have a lot of fluid below the alternator...

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you put the car on jack stands and fill the resevoir, clean it good and see if you have leakage? Steve, why aren't you out putting some miles in the new race car?

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same scenario happened to me on what was a "mystery oil leak and where was it coming from". Start your engine and turn your steering wheel to the right or left all the way till you can't turn it any more and hold it for a second or two. Look underneath after you shut it down and see if there's a big puddle. My serpentine belt had worn a pin hole in my power steering hose. When I applied hard pressure the fluid started spraying like crazy.
Just a thought. :dunno:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a better note and plug for your business (since you are buying all these parts)
Yesterday I installed the new mower blades I bought thru your online store and gezzzzz, it was like a new mower !!!! And with only a one day wait...supper fast shipping. Thanks again.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a better note and plug for your business (since you are buying all these parts)
Yesterday I installed the new mower blades I bought thru your online store and gezzzzz, it was like a new mower !!!! And with only a one day wait...supper fast shipping. Thanks again.

haha Thanks Tony! :2tu:

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Phil, when I had it at the dyno right after I bought it they said it showed I was at 9psi.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I filled it back up and took it for a short drive. When I got back it was still leaking. There is a lot of oil under the alternator. I noticed that the pressure hose goes around that area. I am thinking that is where my problem is. What do you guys think? There is no oil on the drivers side under the car. It is coming from around the alternator.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok it now looks like it might be coming from the water pump gasket! Again not happy!

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like good news. My timing cover gasket was leaking but I found that the bolts were not tight! I tighten them down and so far no leaks! We will see if this stays this way.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like good news. My timing cover gasket was leaking but I found that the bolts were not tight! I tighten them down and so far no leaks! We will see if this stays this way.

As a newly ordained Viper tech, I expected more from you.........................

:D:D:D:D

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha Well I can tell you I'm learning a lot about working on Vipers! Maybe one day I will be like you and be rebuilding 20 vipers at one time!! :rolaugh:

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea if you are in that area you might as well check them. I found that 4 of the 9 TCC bolts were not tight. Drove the car for about 40 miles with no leaks. Looks like I got lucky on this one! I drove it around town with the hood off! I thought I got a lot of looks but damn with this hood off and this huge engine with a huge polished super charger I stopped traffic!! haha Kind of wish I could drive it all of the time like that. ha!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss