Any news on the Comp Coupe orders?

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone who put a deposit down on a Comp Coupe has been notified as of yet? Does everyone have their color schemes finalized? Good project to think about while you wait for the news.

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, I just read Skip's column in Viper Daze that Dodge has orders for 41 cars and they will all be filled in the first production phase. Then the price goes up.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard that when the price goes up - it will not be a huge increase.

OP
OP
V

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the column in Skip's newsletter and came away with the following but correct me if I am wrong. Dodge has recieved 41 orders and supposedly all will be filled but it never said that all would be filled in a first run. It has been siad that the first run consists of 25 cars. Does this mean there will be a second run of 16 cars? Who knows? There is just too much conflicting info to make any sense out of it. I hope they build all the cars at once (reletively speaking) and keep the CAAP workers busy.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think keeping the workers at CAAP
busy should be a problem (with the Gen 3 in full swing).
I would have thought that those of us who believe so strongly in Viper and the project that we put up 20k, without knowing many details of the car,would have been kept better informed of the status of the process at least????

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw CC #2 in the shop at PVO last week. Just the tub with roll cage, engine braces, fuel cell, and engine trial fit. Believe me you won't be disappointed. It looked great. Probably a bargain at $150K.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank think you are right about tne number 31.
Hope they are not only for Skips venue? I for
one want to open road race the Comp coupe along with Dave Golder!! I'm hoping for some news from Dodge soon? I just opened my fortune cookie that said "A messenger will soon bring good tidings". The fortune cookies are never wrong are they???????????????
You must be registered for see images

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly, I hope that they do consider Skip Thomas's series first in awarding the Comp Coupes. It's good to have a dedicated
venue where we can race with "our own" so to speak. In SCCA races you have to deal with every other type of car, many of them not of great value. Some of those drivers don't mind "rubbing up against you" just for grins. I ordered the CC with the specific intention of campaigning it in Skip's series. Like everyone else, I have not heard anything yet.

The red with silver stripes which the factory used look pretty good as far as schemes go.

Russ Oasis

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard they MAY have word this week on the 1st run. I have heard this a few time though in the past. Maybe this time will be the real thing.

I too have heard the number 41 from more than one place. Most of the messengers are people I would trust. I've also heard from people with more clout that there were just 31 or so. I'm not sure who to believe. I think the 41 number is more believable.

waiting patiently... kinda

OP
OP
V

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank wrote the same story, that I got, from the same person. I also heard 31. That is why the 41 number shocked me when I saw it in Skips newsletter.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not out of line here, but this is my understanding.

I don't know where Skip got the figure of 41. This is probably a typo. I spoke to John Fernandez and Herb Helbig when we were at the Chrysler proving grounds in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago. They are both incredibly enthusiastic about the Comp Coupe.

John told me that a total of 31 (not 41) legitimate orders from racers had been received on or prior to December 10, 2001. That was the cut-off date they used to determine 2003 production. Of these 31, 4 are going to professional race teams overseas, leaving a total of 27 destined for U.S. customers. He reiterated that they will resist any possibility of these cars going to collectors. To my knowledge, nobody has been informed of their selection or lack of selection.

John also said that these cars were being built specifically for Skip Thomas' Viper Days Racing League. He said the first cars would not be built until sometime in September because the priority is to launch the 2003 SRT-10 program first. The same drivetrain and chassis will be used in the Comp Coupe, so they can't scavenge the production line just for the Comp Coupe.

They are still making tweeks and decisions on final components of the Comp Coupe. A second-generation prototype is scheduled to appear at the Viper Days event at Mid-Ohio in April, possibly raced in the event by Tommy Archer. They are extremely focused on keeping the price at $100,000 or less. My impression is that this will be a determining factor in the final features on the car.

There is expected to be a price increase (but I don't know how much)in the second batch of Comp Coupes (those delivered after the first 31). This is another great reason to keep the Comp Coupe out of the hands of collectors and/or profiteers. Let the racers have the car so they can use it for its intended purpose at the most reasonable cost possible.

Out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R