Any problems with the 2003 MY?

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The search for a SB/cognac '01 GTS is harder than I thought so I'm entertaining a SRT-vert. I tend to shy from first model year cars, but what about the '03? Or should I opt for an '04? What should I look for in buying used besides history/documents?

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a 03 SRT-vert and have had zero problems with it. I purchased it new from Roanoke Motors and have NO complaints!
By the way, awesome service and thumbs up for John Gastman at Roanoke!

BDZ1984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really i was not aware that some did and some didnt... as well as the 03 model years.
learn something new everyday

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really i was not aware that some did and some didnt... as well as the 03 model years.
learn something new everyday

Some where $150 to transfer, some where $0. :confused:

The Wiz or Bill P. need to walk us all through this.....

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 03 SRT-vert and have had zero problems with it. I purchased it new from Roanoke Motors and have NO complaints!

Me too! I've purchased my 03 brand new back with the certificate program. Its been solid and no complaints. I believe the 04 & 05's had more problems.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Uh... Didn't the '03's and '04's up to 01/31/04 build date have two recalls (one of which is the cam bolt recall)? Some were fixed prior to shipment from the CAAP.

If this recall was not performed, you will eventually have major problems.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had zero problems except for the headlight reflash with my 2003. I am going in to a 5 star dealer today at 2 pm to have that fixed. It should proove to be an interesting experence. It also came with a 7/70 warranty.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There were a couple of TSBs and the recall on the headlights ( a reflash ), and keep in mind the 7/70 is just a powertrain warranty which covers only around 200 items ( average car has 5000 ). The CamBolt check , was in 2004, and only involved a small number of cars. Few had any issues, but it was a precautionary check to make sure the bolts were tight. There was a recall/TSB on the 2003s for the valves , as a few over 200 were not angle cut, leaving them down on power. Most of these were replaced with the correctly cut valves.

Overall, compared to most vehicles, the list of TSBs , recalls , etc. is actually quite light for Vipers.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,The recall on the valve issue. Does it show up when you enter your vin number into the DC recall web site. My VIN number is 1B3JR65Z63V501360 on my 2003 Viper and the only recall shown is the headlight recall. Do you know which VIN number vipers are affected by the valve recall?

Robbie

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure , but it did not show up back in 03, Dealers were given a list of cars affected, and it involved only a few 03s. If I remember correctly it was for Vipers built from the very end of January until around March 1. What most folks were not aware of was that many were repaired at the Plant and never made it out into the public without being fixed. Check your build date and if it is March or after there should be no problem ---as well as those built in 2002( again not an issue)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and my former '03 has run like a champ (no recall other than the headlght flash) and continues to run perfectly today. The guy that bought it from me is selling it too. It will sell pretty fast, as he said he will take $54K for it (includes Autoform rollbar, five-point harnesses, and silver stripes). Wish I could afford to buy it back, but I have the care and feeding of this '05 to worry about! :laugh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140020184539

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the way, awesome service and thumbs up for John Gastman at Roanoke!
Bought my 03 this past April from John and had the same experience. When I purchase more Chryslers it will be from them.
CB :cool:

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thats good to know, where are they located?
Roanoke,IL. about 25 miles NE of Peoria on RT 116. They have much more in their inventory than appears on their web site. Give'm a shout they may have the SB/cognac 01 GTS you're lookin' for.
CB :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62