Anybody put the factory 1998+ tubular headers on a '96?

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know they are 24 pounds lighter, but do they add any HP on a 708 cam motor? Only reason I am considering this route is to have the car pass CA smog without any issues.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would aftermarket headers cause any smog issues? The Gen1/2 has no pre-cats off the headers like alot of newer vehicles.
Only one cat in the sidesills which if left inplace should sniff clean for the smog test.

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The visual test is the issue. When I smogged my car this week the tech should have been required to use lube. He got so deep into my engine bay I thought he was never coming back out.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are covered by heatshields. Even if you could see them how would a tech know the diff between the 98+ tubular headers and aftermarket ones?

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guy has done a bunch of Vipers so he let me in on what he looks for. I guess I need to find a noob.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done it. Weight savings yes and while well within the margin of error, I observed slightly less HP (1.7 as I remember) after the swap. Hardly worth the effort. Go big if you're going to go.