Anyone else have a bad battery in their '06 Coupe?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else have a bad battery in their \'06 Coupe?

My battery is dead and I can't even jump start it to get the car running. The thing is only a little over a year old. I had to jump start it last month also (it worked that time). Any suggestions?

Bob K

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Anyone else have a bad battery in their \'06 Coupe?

how often do you drive the car?if you dont drive it very often i would recomend a battery tender plus.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My battery is dead and I can't even jump start it to get the car running. The thing is only a little over a year old. I had to jump start it last month also (it worked that time). Any suggestions?

Bob K

Have had the problem many times on the Gen 3, recently last week.They drain out and won't even jump. You can save the battery most likely with a slow charge for 12-15 hours..and it should get back on board.Then the battery tender as suggested.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've had three Mopar batteries replaced in my '05 - all within 1K miles. :curse: If you're having the same problems as I did, charging is only a temporary fix. One day, you may be left stranded. The only thing the dealer can do is continuously replace a brand of battery which may be problematic. I lost all faith and confidence in the Mopar battery so I replaced it with an Optima 34/78 Yellow Top (about $160 - $185) and have not had a problem since. :laugh:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I've not had any problems with my Mopar batteries but I have battery tenders on them when they're not being driven. I did switch to an Optima Yellow top 34/78 in my SRT-10 and it seems to be much better at "staying alive".

These cars seem to be very ******* batteries. If you leave your key in them while in the garage, they'll almost always run down in just a few days.

Snake Oyl sell a battery disconnect for our cars that cuts the battery off form the normal "drain" if you remove a plastic key. I'm putting one on my GTS this weekend.

Dan

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have never had a problem with my 2003 and it has the original battery. It has been known to sit for 4-6 weeks in a cold garage and it starts right up. I would do a voltage draw test and see if you have some device drawing down voltage from the battery. If not you can do as recommended and install a battery tender, float type, on the positive battery post under the hood next to the fuse box. Another option would be to install a Priority Start Box which can be seen here at http://www.prioritystart.com. I have used these on boats with great success. Another option for a battery is to install a AGM battery which stands for absorbed glass mat. These batteries can sit all winter and do not discharge at all. I have 2 of them in my Rosborough Trawler that has a diesel engine. The batteries are hooked up all winter and come spring when I commission the boat they are still fully charged and start the diesel right up.

Robbie
AtRo Racing Products
VCA Sponsor

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not for sure, but I think if you park your Viper in your garage, leave it unlocked and do not set the alarm, it will just sit there with nothing to draw on the battery at all.

The owners manual talks about a reduced draw setting you can place the car in for long storage, but why would they even mention that unless they know about a drain issue while the car is just sitting there.

If you have a personal garage you can do this but in a parking garage, you would not want to leave it unlocked.

Just my opinion on what is happening.

Rick

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Speaking of bad batteries, for those of you who run Battery Tenders, periodically check your cars over the winter, every 2 weeks is a good start! Just Blip the alarm to make sure there is "something" there.

My battery tender bit the dust sometime last winter, and killed my brand new Optima Yellow Top as a result. (battery discharged and must have sulfated heavily) The car sat with an (unknown to me) dead battery for about 3 months. That damn thing has the capacity of a AAA at this point, just replaced it yesterday.

wannabe-psi

Viper Owner
Reaction score

yeap, had to replace within one week of ownership!!

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Put the car in "sleep mode" with a battery tender last year and had no problem at all. Let the car sit for 2 months without sleep mode or a battery tender and its dead.......hooked up the battery tender last week........still dead.
will start with slow charge tomorrow and see if i can save the battery.

You know the worst part about this dead battery, i leave my keys in the car so i had to use the spare set i keep in my safe just to get into the car. good thing i have 2 sets......lol

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Put the car in "sleep mode" with a battery tender last year and had no problem at all. Let the car sit for 2 months without sleep mode or a battery tender and its dead.......hooked up the battery tender last week........still dead.
will start with slow charge tomorrow and see if i can save the battery.

You know the worst part about this dead battery, i leave my keys in the car so i had to use the spare set i keep in my safe just to get into the car. good thing i have 2 sets......lol

Battery is likely shot. Change it, if for no other reason than piece of mind. You dont want to have a battery that is "just" enough to start your car, then listen to your radio somewhere for 15 minutes, and end up stuck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62