Anyone ever polish Gen II Valve covers?

Greg B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking at either powder coating or polishing my existing valve covers, was wondering if anybody has done it, what they look like and how difficult the procedure was.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Your existing valve cover cannot be easily polished to a high luster that will last as they are magnesium. Magnesium is a white metal and has a whole different look to it. Also, polishing magnesium can present some real fire hazards, many pros won't even do it and those that will have real issues with using a sealer over something that gets that hot. In other words....the reason you dont see stock valve covers polished to a high luster is that it just doesn't work.

Having said that, if you clean them up you can powder coat them, paint them, polish the letters (see Illustrated Guides), paint the letters, apply decals/overlays to the letters, etc.
Or you can buy after market aluminum custom vlave covers that look high polished.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Calchrome was only chrome plating not polishing? As D.Y. said magnesium shavings are flammable so why would anyone take the risk? There are better alternatives.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine powder coated and then painted the letters. I had the powder coat match the exterior paint. I used a 1500 degree high luster paint called POR-20 on the letters. As opposed to polishing the letters, I won't ever have to do anything but wipe them down.

Keep in mind, if you have them powder coated, that they need to be BEAD BLASTED and treated, not sand blasted. The magnesium is pourous, and will leech out some oil that is locked in the metal if it is not treated somewhat. If they sand blast, you're unlikely to get all the sand out, and will have some running in your engine. With the plastic medium of bead blasting, you'll be able to take out the baffes and clean it better.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tex how did you paint the letters? The first time I tried it it looked aweful. After the powder coating the edges of the letters were rounded so it was difficult to get clean paint edges. Do you have any pictures?

D

DAMN YANKEE

Polish the letters per the Illustrateds add a light high tech oil (BreakFree or TriFlo) and then on to the next problem. It will look great for months and be spruced up in ten minutes. You'll spend more time on your clean windshields..

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tex how did you paint the letters? The first time I tried it it looked aweful. After the powder coating the edges of the letters were rounded so it was difficult to get clean paint edges. Do you have any pictures?

I put a bunch of blue painter's tape and used an exacto knife to get the edges clean. then, I used a block sander to scuff up the powder coating to get the paint to stick. I used a model paint brush to apply. It took a while. Here's a pic. A larger one is in my gallery.

IMG_0180.JPG

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Magnesium is very porous, so it makes sense that it would be difficult to polish. Does anyone know whether or not these can be chromed? In terms of longevity, I would bet chrome would do well, but I'm just guessing.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked into Chroming. The shops that I talked to wouldn't touch trying to chrome magnesium. I couldn't remember why I think it had something to do with the porosity and not being able to adhere very well.

D

DAMN YANKEE

That is my understanding. I looked at polished aluminum units, they looked great but thy were a whole different design and I was looking for somethin that looked more stock. I went with polishing the letters and snake, sealing them with light high tech (for the heat, no WD40 will not do it) and they look new. If I could find someone that would make me a set of these...I would do it..pretty cool and useful, they are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/products.htm