anyone in Va/Md that can help me fix my door?

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well hello Va/Md members, i was wondering if anyone knows how to install a new door actuator for a Gen II. couple of pertinent details, car is in NJ, going back tonight to pick it up and have it in baltimore for a few months, drivers door stopped opening about 2 weeks ago, tech in NJ ordered a new actuator, he will not be there this weekend to install it, I will not be able to get back to NJ for a few months, so...quite a pickle.

I talked to chuck tator, sounded like a doable job, if you know the tricks of taking the door panel off which I do not, but would love to learn. Does anyone in the area know how to do this/would be willing to walk through it with me and help me fix up my baby? if not, can you point me to a good tech in the area? Ive been an owner since 01, living in baltimore since 03, so come on Va/Md, show me some love...

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking the door panel off is pretty straightforward. There's a screw at the front bottom, rear bottom, a few around the door handle, speaker grill (I think), then you sort of lift and pull the panel off. There's only one push-pin near the top rear of the panel that you need to pull out.

I've never done an actuator, and haven't checked my manual for the schematic, but I pulled both panels for swapping speakers and like I said, not a big deal.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The door panel is the easy part. I hated pulling the membrane off because I don't have the adhesive that they use to put it back on. I think it's some special waterproof flexible RTV.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Bryon Muller 571.228.4794
Tell him I said to call. He may still be in the process of transitioning where he works but if you have a garage he should be able to come to you. If you don't have a place to do the work PM me maybe we can work something out for you.
And if you want to hang at a couple VCA events while you are down here let me know that too and I will put you on our email list and send you the event schedule.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought, but how sure are you that it is the actuator? Our doors are synonymous for breaking the wires in the loom around the hinge. Mine broke as well. I took the door panel off like 10 times trying different things to figure out why it wasn't working. I took it to our tech in Springfield VA and he fixed it in like 30 minutes. Felt stupid after that. Like Chimazo said the panel isn't hard but an actuator might be. Bryon can definitely help you if it is in fact an actuator problem. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well thats the issue, Im not sure at all its the actuator, as I never got to speak with the tech, they just handed me a report saying they ordered a new actuator. However, luckily the dealer never got back to me to schedule the appointment this past weekend, and when I went home to get the car, the door started working again...! i have noticed that when i open the door to its most extreme angle and then close it, it stops opening and I need to use the emergency release, however, the door handle begins working again after that. Its been 3 days so far and I havent had a problem yet. This kind of observation though points me more towards the wiring harness in the door jamb, as the opening and closing of the door maybe causing the wires to lose contact, and then regain contact. I spoke with Chuck Tator, the simple fact is we still have no clue what the problem is/was, therefore the panel needs to come off, and the electrical system needs to be checked. Thank God i didnt buy that actuator, would have been throwing parts at an unknown problem.

As it is, I brought the car down to Md, what a blast, driving longer highway trips with that much power, never ceases to amaze me how fast you can get from point A to point B, and how fast your heart is racing in the process! With the door working now I have a little more time to find help and properly diagnose it. I will definately be giving Bryon a call, hopefully he can help me out.

Lee, I would love to get on the listserv, its time I get to know the guys and girls down here and get the car out on some great trips.

P.S. any cruises down to O.C.? its great beach weather for sure.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are the exact same symptoms as others (including myelf) have had. I'd bet dollars to donuts that's what it is. You can check that rather easily. Just open the door and pull the loom back. Then look and see if any wires are broken. Now it is possible the wire is broke and the insulation is still good. In my case the wire was broken almost clean apart. Anyway, good luck with it. I don't know any techs near Baltimore, but there's a couple in the DC area and of course Bryon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62