Anyone using Mcleod twin disc??

carl B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to the Tech at Mcleod and he told me with the power i am wanting to make I should go with the Twin with Miba lining instead of the organic which is standard.

Any of you guys used this lining material?

I street the car mainly and don't want to wind up with a clutch which is all on or off. I want the clutch to be as close as possible to the feel of the stock item.

Any help would be much appreciated

Carl

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carl,
You may want to look at the Spec Stage Three+ clutch. I have it on mine and it is very smooth, and is rated at 1000hp.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spec 3+ - ~550
Mcleod twin disc - ~1300 (basic set-up)
spec twin disc supporing 1500rwtq - ~2k

i don't know if the twin discs are 3-4x better than the 3+. tough call...

OP
OP
C

carl B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I could be wrong but..........................The spec 3+ will require a flywheel? Fidenza etc? thats another $500 ish?

The $1300 Twin plate comes with a steel flywheel or for another $150 you can have the ali one?

Carl

Earl_H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the engagement/disengagement? Slow? Full travel engagement? Short travel? Adjustable?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe:

you may want to check, I had the 3i, which has been replaced by a new series. The 3i was 800 or 900 hp. The 3i wasn't a full disc, but, the petal type. It worked well (1000 ft-lb). Like most of the metallic disks it needed a smooth flywheel and about a 500 mile break-in.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used my spec 3 w/ my stock flywheel. not sure about the + if you need a new FW. I can't imagine that you would, though.

what are the actual ratings for HP and TQ of the mcleod? and is there any warranty at all on a 2k clutch?

JD

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe:

Any metallic disk with with a high clamping pressure needs a perfect flywheel and also needs a break-in period. When I first put the the 3i in the car it shuttered for the first 100 miles, it was also very grabby. After a couple of hundred miles it was perfect. The standard 3 series was a totally different clutch.

Earl_H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Earl!

Maybe they will cut us a good deal if we buy two of e'm?

Carl

Give 'em call and see. Maybe we could do a group buy. I would need the non-organic disk(s).

I may call and see, since this would be my third. Maybe we could do a group buy.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be in on a group buy. Add me to the possible list.

It's your 3rd clutch or you would be the 3rd person? and if it is the 3rd clutch, what happened to the other two?

JD

Earl_H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One clutch for the s/c '97 Cobra
One clutch for the Single Turbo/now twin turbo '03 Z06 (switched to auto this year).

and now a possible 3rd for the TT GTS.

Earl_H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright stock clutch did not like the track today. 800rwhp and the stock clutch was a bit ambitous. I am lucky to have made it home...didn't even get a full pass in. I am more seriously considering the McCleod MIBA steel flywheel. Lets see what we can do on a GP.

The Centerforce is now for sale: $490+shipping (NIB)
Aluminum flywheel: make offer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth