Are any of you staying at hotel other than host hotel?

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious? What other hotels are you guys staying at other than the host hotel? In Nashville we stayed at the AmeriSuites, which was just across the street, with a free shuttle, 1/2 the price and excellent room. PERFECT! Does anyone have names and numbers of other hotels you are staying at? Thanks!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a number of people were arranging something at the Harvey Hotel at DFW. While I stayed elsewere at VOI 7 (and saved over $100 a night), this hotel is not as close to other hotels like Nashville. There I could take advantage of the protected "Viper Only" parking and walk to my hotel. In Dallas you may have to find a place to park your Viper if you stay elsewhere, as the hotel isn't easy walking distance to anything.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many are staying at the Best Western Irving Inn & Suites at DFW Airport. It evenhas free high speed wireless internet :) Their phone number is (972) 790-2262. It is a pretty nice place that several who attended the Dallas Tech Seminar stayed and the rooms are less than $50 under their "Best Rate" program. It is near the airport, about a 10-12 minute drive from the Gaylord Texan. Several are also staying at the Holiday Inn Suites across form the DCX tech training center (very nice) and some are considering the Hilton (again very nice), which was used for the Zone Rendezvous and is like $79/night +/- (a pretty good deal for the rendezvous, looks like about $110 now) and it also has underground parking, excellent security and is located midway between the Gaylord and the track. The other hotels that are only a few minutes from the Gaylord Texan, are actually more expensive than the Texan.... guess those that visit the Bass Pro Shop must have a lot of money to spend or something.

You can look at off site hotels to save money for sure, only real risk is the lack of official overnight security. If you think that it matters that others attending will be at any given off site hotel, you'll be kidding youself, as all you'll literally do there is sleep. You'll be driving to the Gaylord in the early AM, and back late PM after the banquets.... if you like to take advantage of the open bars at the banquets, the "back" could be a problem. The upside is the Viper parking is in the basement of the banquet facility.

MsSnakeSRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to add if you like to drink and party it could be a problem staying at another hotel. This will be my first VOI#8 but i've done other social events. I would rather pay a more and just take a elevator to my room. I don't want to get into a car after a few drinks.Cost of a ticket or damaging a Viper isn't cheap. Also sometimes people get together in adjoining rooms.If i was going with a large group of friends and was planning on staying with them Ok, maybe.But if that was the case why not just plan a party locally that would be cheaper then going to dallas. I'm going to meet other like minded people who like to have a good time get a little wild(wife is 15 yrs younger).I hope texas is ready for a couple from the Northeast (CT)(65 miles from NYC))People in NYC don't go out until after 11:00 PM. You never know you might meet another couple and have some fun!! :D :D :eek:

OP
OP
X

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for sharing the info. We will check into the ones you listed and see what we can come up with. Looking forward to VOI8!

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Dallas and have been to the Gaylord several times. The closest hotel is the Embassy Suites, but there are sever others within 1 or 2 miles (Hyatt, AmeriSuites, and one or two more). I wouldn't say these are in "walking distance", but they're not far at all. I'm sure the Gaylord can arrange for a cab for anyone feeling uneasy about driving back and I can't imagine the fare to any of these hotels being more than 5 bucks.

Most of the "airport" hotels are much farther away. Be careful about staying at a hotel that is outside of the city of Grapevine (where the Gaylord is located) if you want to be as close as possible.

Also, on the parking, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG ON THIS, but the North Texas VCA has told it's members that the special underground Viper-Only parking is through VOI and NOT through the Gaylord. Further, the parking is on a first-come, first-served basis determined by registration order, but that there would be spots for at least 600 Vipers. If anyone has better info than this, please share the wealth.

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your correct about the parking situation. The underground garage has 600 spots and they will go to the first 600 signed up for VOI. I think we have just recently gone over that number attending. For those that did not make the cut, covered parking will be provided along with security in one of the outside lots.

I have been over and have measured the spaces they should provide adequate room for everyone to park. Most of the spaces are set up in groups of three between the pillars. If the 2 cars parking on the outside park so the drivers door faces the pillar the middle car should have plenty of room for driver and passenger to get out. If we all park the same direction, the passenger may need to get out before the final park. If anyone is really concerned I have some pictures and actual dimensions of the spaces. Email me if interested.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Dallas and have been to the Gaylord several times. The closest hotel is the Embassy Suites, but there are sever others within 1 or 2 miles (Hyatt, AmeriSuites, and one or two more). I wouldn't say these are in "walking distance", but they're not far at all. I'm sure the Gaylord can arrange for a cab for anyone feeling uneasy about driving back and I can't imagine the fare to any of these hotels being more than 5 bucks.

While I was in Dallas, for chuckles, I stopped at each of these (there are pretty close, maybe a three or foru minute drive) and asked for rooms rates during the VOI.8 time frame. All where HIGHER that the VOI rooms at the Gaylord. How much? from $30 to $60 a night higher! The Emabassy Suites was SILLY expensive, like I said in my post, those Bass fisherman must have too much money to spend (the hotel is attached to a Bass Pro Shop store)

The underground parking is covered in the post above. So if you are a first 600 registrant, and staying off property, you could still park underground... The nice thing about this is it is not more than a few minute walk to the elevators.... and you can go right up to the convention space where the events are held

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave