Are Front and Rear Brake Pads Really The Same??

CHAOS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just received my new brake pads, opened the box and front and rear are exactly the same. Is this right or did they send me two sets of the backs? My Navigator pads are twice the size with calipers half the size...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just received my new brake pads, opened the box and front and rear are exactly the same. Is this right or did they send me two sets of the backs? My Navigator pads are twice the size with calipers half the size...

SRT10 pads are the same sizes, F = R. [This aint no stinkin' 7000lb Navigator!]

Last edited:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm betting your navigator doesn't have the stopping power your viper does.
Actually my 03 Navigator has 13" brakes all around aided by ABS and stops 60-0 in 120 feet. That's better than what my much lighter 1999 Viper did with the stock brakes ;). Since I did the DBB kit with 14" srT discs and calipers all four corners I expect my car may do better now compared to the Navi .
I tow my boat [ 8300 lbs with trailer] and the Navigator is a champ :2tu:

You must be registered for see images

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong but didn't the Viper set the record for stopping distance when it came out, a 60 to 0 under 100 feet? Pretty positive it did. You navigator should not stop better then your viper, ever.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong but didn't the Viper set the record for stopping distance when it came out, a 60 to 0 under 100 feet? Pretty positive it did. You navigator should not stop better then your viper, ever.

The 2003+ Vipers had outstanding brakes at the time and had the shortest stoppping distance of almost all cars(think you are right), but Vancouver-GTS made reference to his 1999, which stock, lacked good stopping power when compared to other high performance cars.

This is why I upgraded to Tom's Rear brake upgrade!!!!! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I saw he had a 99. I recall knocking my stock brakes in a thread and someone politely informed me that the viper was the first car to stop 60 to 0 in under 100 feet. Believe it was on top gear as well.

Edit: 129 feet best stopping for non abs gen 2 I stand corrected.

Last edited:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Edit: 129 feet best stopping for non abs gen 2 I stand corrected.

It was pretty bad the 3350 lbs Viper fell short to a 6000+lbs behemoth .The extra weight actually helps the Navigator to have more friction to the contact patch on the road when braking . Chrysler should have issued a recall to address the brake bias with these cars with the simple upgrade like Tom's :rolleyes: .Could have saved a few Vipers from the junkyard.

Here's my DBB kit from JonB .Calipers are from 03 srT .It will be painted black with white logo to match the e-brake

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running Daves bbk for over 2 years now. Hand down best upgrade. I did not have any emergency stops on stock brakes but day to day driving has really improved and they did great on the track.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

No, it was inferior due to the parts-bin rear caliper, NO ABS! (Tom's Brakes would have won!)

I have the test data in front of me, from none other than Dave "Bo" Buchesky, the original TV member tasked with brakes.

92-3 Viper 70-0 180' ~~~ 0-60 4.4 ~~~ 0-100 10.8 ~~~ 1/4 mi 13.1 / 108 mph
1993 ZR1 70-0 159' ~~~ 0-60 4.9 ~~~ 0-100 11.3 ~~~ 1/4mi 13.4 / 109 mph

The viper also won the skidpad, but not brakes, and not top speed. (Aero)

I think you are confusing the 0-100-0 record, which Viper did take from the 65 Cobra by .1 sec

Last edited: