Are PS2's unidirectional?

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While installing a big brake kit I just noticed that my relatively new Michelin PS2's appear to be unidirectional and it looks like I have four lefts or four right tires (the tread curves in opposite directions on the right and left tires).

I am trying to confirm if the vendor that sold me these tires made a mistake so I can get it corrected. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
J

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, as strange as it seems, I spoke with someone at Michelin and he stated that they are not unidirectional. I don't know much about tire design but apparently the direction of the tread has little to do with how they perform:dunno:

At least I don't have to send two of them back.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought PS2s recently and they have a clear marking "OUTSIDE".

Last edited:

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the PS2 is not a directional tire ... even though it sort of looks like it might be ... it is an asymetrical tread design

OP
OP
J

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. The tires are all mounted correctly in terms of asymmetry (the outside is out) but what I was refering to is the tread pattern. If you look at your PS2's really close, the tread on the outside of the tire on the right is curved toward the front of the car and on the left toward the rear of the car. It is a subtle difference that is easily seen when you have both tires off the car sitting side by side. Like Luke said, they look like they should be unidirectional.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. The tires are all mounted correctly in terms of asymmetry (the outside is out) but what I was refering to is the tread pattern. If you look at your PS2's really close, the tread on the outside of the tire on the right is curved toward the front of the car and on the left toward the rear of the car. It is a subtle difference that is easily seen when you have both tires off the car sitting side by side. Like Luke said, they look like they should be unidirectional.

Did Luke say Unidirectional or Symmetrical? What's the difference? :dunno:

OP
OP
J

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did Luke say Unidirectional or Symmetrical? What's the difference? :dunno:

Asymmetry is when there is a different tread pattern on each half of the tire. In other words, there is an inside and outside and it has to be mounted that way. Unidirectional (or simply directional) means that the tire was meant to rotate in one direction and therefor you need different tires for the right and left sides to perform properly.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad you posted this because I was going blind trying to find if there was a directional arrow anywhere on the tread.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad you posted this because I was going blind trying to find if there was a directional arrow anywhere on the tread.

Hear Hear! I was majorly confused when I went to intal my ps2's. I knew that they were mounted correctly as they all said outside, but looking at the tread and seeing it going in differnet directions was maddening! :brick:

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone ever answer this question. Yes they are mounted to the outside but the patterns will differ either lines forward or reverse.
Help

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as the side marked outside is on the outside, your good. There are no lefts and rights

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, that is what I thought after looking at them for an hour....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456