Are used/broken Half-Shafts worth anything?

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I snapped my rear left half shaft due to wheel hop and ended up replacing them with some newer stronger ones. However, I was told at the time that broken one could be fixed and the one that is not broken should be worth something.

Is this true? Or should I throw these out? They are stock from 1993 and have been sitting in my garage for a year taking up space and its time to get rid of them.

If they are worth something like $20 I will just give them away to a viper owner if possible. If they have a higher value I would attempt to give someone a good deal. Any help would be appreciated.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one that is not broken, $50 to $100. People are always looking to keep a spare. The broken one.....depends on were it broke and what it cost to fix it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep them in a visible place in the garage so you are reminded of the consequences of letting the car wheel hop.

I have my original differential laying on the garage floor in front of the car for just that reason.
My replacement diff has lasted over 35,000 miles so far as a result.

It is possible to drive these cars very hard and aggressive without breaking things. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to break things to find out what the car doesn't like.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it a small reason that they break when you put out so much torque INSTEAD do you want this torque going up the drivetrain ?? Isn't that the intentions of their being able to break ?? Sort of like fuses, a pain in the butt when one keeps blowing but they "tell" a story that something is wrong.. My $.02

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it a small reason that they break when you put out so much torque INSTEAD do you want this torque going up the drivetrain ?? Isn't that the intentions of their being able to break ?? Sort of like fuses, a pain in the butt when one keeps blowing but they "tell" a story that something is wrong.. My $.02
I think it would have been more about costing's when supplying and fitting them in the factory. A bit like using the Brembo 38mm single piston calliper on the rear discs. ;)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any reasonably competent driveline shop can remove the failed tubes and weld new stock on your old yokes and balance them good as new for reasonable $.