Arrow Rebuild

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Had my engine (late 93 R/T) rebuilt early this year. Car seems fine. But whenever I ask the dealer for some paper work on the rebuild, the response I get is there isn't any paperwork.

Is this right?? The regular receipt from the dealer only lists some of the parts that were used on the rebuild.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey George !
Normal........

D-C policy has been to NOT release the details. Too bad, really, becuase Arrow goes thru the entire motor, top to bottom.

I know of only a small handfull of cases,count on one hand, where an owner was able to secure the paperwork.

PS GEORGE ! What is up with your RT/10 TRUNK STRUTS ! Do you have an ad anywhere? I need to mark your page somewhare, as I do get an oocasional call for RT/10 Trunk-Lifter Struts...

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Sullivan:
So Cal,
What's up with a 2000 needing a rebuild?
JJS

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, the first 200 motors built in 2000 had a factory defect. The cylinder walls were sleeved with a material that was too hard and as a result the rings did not seat right and I was burning oil. Took 9 1/2 weeks out of my Viper life.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like SoCal, I also had my early 2000 engine rebuilt by Arrow. If I may, let me add a few things for clarification:

1. <LI>Not all of the first +/- 200 motors had oil burning problems
    <LI>The cylinder sleeves are actually powdered metal themselves - not coated
    <LI>It was not a "defect". They made several changes to the 2000 engine design (pistons, etc.) and this was one of them. Unfortunately, they did not experience any oil burn on their "test mules" and they went into production. The result was that some, but not all, of the engines started burning oil and never did seat properly. They changed the sleeves back to iron after a production run of a little over a month.
    <LI>Varying amounts of oil burn have been reported - from none to 1 quart every 200 miles (mine was documented at one quart every 350 miles)
    <LI>The problem is usually obvious from Day 1. It is a problem with the rings seating properly during break in. I have never heard of it developing later on and would be confident that if you have some miles on your car at this point that you won't have trouble later on. Indeed, the reason for this design was that it would make the engine last forever. I believe the technology is already in use on some aircraft engines.
Again, I would suggest that you don't worry about it at this point. Several dyno runs on early 2000's showed some serious horsepower. You may just want to keep those sleeves!

Chris

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, I had my 2000 motor re-built 6 months ago at Arrow and I "INSISTED" on a report and got it. Tell the service manager you need a report if he refuses go to the regional manager. There is a # your motor was designated for the re-build (mine was YV603104) all your dealer has to do is use that # to request a report. It's just extra work for them and they don't like to do it.

My report was very informative, if you want e-mail me your fax # and I will fax it to you and you can show it to your dealer as proof it is accessible.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
Jim, the first 200 motors built in 2000 had a factory defect. The cylinder walls were sleeved with a material that was too hard and as a result the rings did not seat right and I was burning oil. Took 9 1/2 weeks out of my Viper life.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, Chris summed it up very good. I was burning a quart every 175-200 miles myself. Now after the re-build not a drop burned.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin they changed the liners, amongst MANY other things, as I said I got the report and they replaced with new parts the following:

crankshaft
camshaft
lifters
piston/rod assemblies
timing chain set
two ehaust valves
one intake valve
water pump
rod/main bearings
gaskets and seals

Not bad seeing I had 10,000 miles on my snake, it was like a free new engine.

If you are concerned look in your door jam for the build date, if it was after 11/99 you're OK, before that there is a chance you need a re-build.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave