Automatic Viper?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be something more special. Or hope anyways. Hard to make a traditional automatic relevant in a world of dual clutches. The viper is world class, shouldnt share transmission with the cars mentioned in that article.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper will get paddles, just a matter of when.

Some will cry. Yet, they will also complain if it was still a manual and loses to other cars. ;)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the Viper pulled a 3.2 0-60 with just clutch and pedal and no TC which was impressive for a powerful RWD car. But then I saw that the RWD Mclaren MP4C that has DCT did the same deed in 2.9 secs. Thats AWD with DCT territory WOW...So I can just imagine what an even more powerful car like the Viper with a DCT and paddles would do in the entire acceleration range...Manual and DCT option would be great. Everyone gets what they want.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to point out the fastest car at the ring is a stick, the supposed fastest car at Laguna is a stick. Hell the 3 fastest are sticks.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were looking into it for the GEN V i remember Ralph saying but it would have cost more then double their budget for the entire GEN V project and they couldn't find anything to handle the torque they are putting out.

Last edited:

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope it does one day so the market for those with disabilities or otherwise unable to drive a clutch car will be welcomed.

Having seen a few Z06 cars have automatics swapped into them for veterans who were injured at war, it'd be nice to have that option out there for our guys.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph posted on twitter recently it's only a packaging issue. He didn't mention anything about some astronomical cost. The dct is larger and wouldn't clear some part of the car.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An automatic in a Viper is a sin. Period. I'd rather be erased off the planet before that happens.

Save the manuals.

--RS

OP
OP
I

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Packing is interesting. For example, if you start with a trans that is designed for four wheel drive, then you can mount it in the rear, in front of the rear diff, ala the Corvette. That is exactly what Corvette did. They started with a four wheel drive trans from the truck division. The Corvette got to use it a whole year before the truck guys announced it in their four wheel drive application. By the way, the Corvette people said the same thing about costs, it would have cost more to design and build a Corvette only trans than the cost of developing the entire car (C5). The problem is then SRT would have to lengthen the wheel base on the Viper to get the packaging right. That's why the Corvette has a longer wheel base. More costs! :dunno:

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were looking into it for the GEN V i remember Ralph saying but it would have cost more then double their bidget for the entire GEN V project and they could find anything to handle the torque they are putting out.

This was discussed at VOI and pretty much all the engineers said the same thing.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph posted on twitter recently it's only a packaging issue. He didn't mention anything about some astronomical cost. The dct is larger and wouldn't clear some part of the car.

There was a video interview with Ralph a few months ago, he was driving the car and mentioned the same thing. He said there will more than likely be an option for it within the Gen V production run, but at the time it was a packaging issue.

Personally I don't have an issue if they offer it, as long as they don't get rid of the manual.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the new 8-speed will fit.

One web site states that the new 8-speed will be in the 2014 Jeep SRT8., so it must be fairly strong.

Maybe that transmission can be beefed up to handle the V10.

Remember, that in this era, for the viper to exist, it needs to make money. An auto will sell more Vipers.

As long as the price is over $100,000 it will still be exclusive. If they make a $60,000 V8 version, then the Viper will no more special than a Corvette. It'll still be awesome and beautiful, just not special.

~Jay

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the new 8-speed will fit.

One web site states that the new 8-speed will be in the 2014 Jeep SRT8., so it must be fairly strong.

Maybe that transmission can be beefed up to handle the V10.

Remember, that in this era, for the viper to exist, it needs to make money. An auto will sell more Vipers.

As long as the price is over $100,000 it will still be exclusive. If they make a $60,000 V8 version, then the Viper will no more special than a Corvette. It'll still be awesome and beautiful, just not special.

~Jay

This post proves the fuel for the big dollar businesses....."People want to pay more."

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Remember that paddle shift can be used on both automatics and manual transmissions. My Aston Martin Vanquish S has a tremec manual with paddle shifts. It is exactly the same transmission as a Gen III Viper, but controlled via a hydraulic clutch. Originally, they were maligned since people tried to drive them as automatics rather than really shifting them via the paddles. The second and third gen systems now used are much better than the first gen systems. My car was up-graded and it the difference is tremendous. I think the paddles suit the Aston better than the Viper since it is more of a fast GT car than sports car. That said, you do lose a bit of driving dynamics with the paddles. I would think SRT would use paddles on the manual transmission rather than sourcing a real ZF automatic.

Last edited:

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember that paddle shift can be used on both automatics and manual transmissions. My Aston Martin Vanquish S has a tremec manual with paddle shifts. It is exactly the same transmission as a Gen III Viper, but controlled via a hydraulic clutch. Originally, these the hydraulics were maligned since people tried to drive them as automatics rather than really shifting them via the paddles. The second and third gen systems now used are much better than the first gen systems. My car was up-graded and it the difference is tremendous. I think the paddles suit the Aston better than the Viper since it is more of a fast GT car than sports car. That said, you do lose a bit of driving dynamics with the paddles. I would think SRT would use paddles on the manual transmission rather than sourcing a real ZF automatic.

THIS. The 8 speed or any true automatic is about the worst idea I've ever heard for the Viper. Child seats make more sense. They ONLY option is a semi-automatic manual. Paddle shifters mandatory to shift. Not auto mode. No manual clutch. That, I would be willing to consider....Faster shift times without appealing to a whole new class of yuppy, and without the typical automatic drivetrain power loss.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse has, and can, install an automatic tranny in a Viper. If you are interested, call Mark J. at Woodhouse.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS. The 8 speed or any true automatic is about the worst idea I've ever heard for the Viper. Child seats make more sense. They ONLY option is a semi-automatic manual. Paddle shifters mandatory to shift. Not auto mode. No manual clutch. That, I would be willing to consider....Faster shift times without appealing to a whole new class of yuppy, and without the typical automatic drivetrain power loss.

A child seat for the driver would be great for the kids :D

They might need the automatic until they reach 5 years old or so, I think.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2005/06 Viper trucks(quad cabs) were available with an automatic and had no problems. Options are always nice to choose from. No one is forcing anyone into an automatic.

Bruce

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Sequential Transmission or DCT as an option would be nice , shifting in milliseconds would shave off Track Times and enhance Performance ! :D :2tu:

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next gen Vette is going to o ffer paddle shifter so I guess it's a matter of time with Stricker...:drive:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a video interview with Ralph a few months ago, he was driving the car and mentioned the same thing. He said there will more than likely be an option for it within the Gen V production run, but at the time it was a packaging issue.

Personally I don't have an issue if they offer it, as long as they don't get rid of the manual.

Discussion around the Auto @ ~ 7 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XjKfXbUO0g

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper