Automotive News "TV" - Gen 5 News

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Well, kind of:

They announced this morning:

" ... is very rearward and the hood is very long. Few cars in the industry are designed with those proportions anymore"

- Ralph Gilles

Nice to see Ralph is teasing the press!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They incorrectly stated , again , that the current motor has 640 ( ACR-X only ), but this figure keeps coming up , building rumors on what the new car may come with. Kudos to Ralph, Sharples and others for stirring the press and keeping the fires ignited for the new Snake. We may see a hundred artist's renderings before the real car hits the showrooms, and that is fantastic to keep up the excitement and keep the press writing --- and interested!!:2tu:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally think its a mistake to keep it under wraps at this point. They should be taking orders. It seems amateurish to me, as if they don't have the design figured out. Just my 2c.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Full report here:

Chrysler to resurrect Viper | detnews.com | The Detroit News

From the article:

he new Viper "is not based on anything else," he stressed, countering speculation that it will share underpinnings with Ferrari or the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, given the partnership of Chrysler and Italy's Fiat SpA.
The car has its own underpinnings and while there is some similarity to the 8C, an overlay of the two vehicles shows their proportions to be quite different.
"Where the cabin is, relative to the wheels, is unique," said Gilles who is also head of design. "The Viper cabin is very rearward and the hood is very long. Few cars in the industry are designed with those proportions anymore."
The Viper will not get a Ferrari engine, but Gilles did not rule out a new engine for the car, which previously had a 640-horsepower V-10. "There won't be a part of the car that's untouched," he said.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally think its a mistake to keep it under wraps at this point. They should be taking orders. It seems amateurish to me, as if they don't have the design figured out. Just my 2c.

I agree somewhat. I was hanging out with my circle of race car friends and they still all think the Viper is dead and buried. I haven't seen a Viper included in a mag comparison in a while. You want to keep the public interest high so at least throw out a couple of facts..not just..oh yes there will be a gen V. Give us something concrete...at least to us VCA members that could not attend the VOI. And please spare us with..it will have a V10...because if it didn't it wouldn't be a Viper imho.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patience Grasshoppers.

At the VOI Dodge showed a number of pictures of various parts of the new Viper, and I would imagine that those will be rolled out as part of the unveiling.

People will be going crazy trying to put those pictures together.

Best description I can give of the new Viper is that it is stunning.

If you like the curves of a beautiful woman, you will like this car.

BLUEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the "last off the line event"...I can't wait to go to the "First off the Line event".....or atleast I hope they have one for the 5th Generation!!!!!!!!

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im amazed there were no picture leaks from the showing. For those that went, how many people were at the actual "showing" of the new viper?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im amazed there were no picture leaks from the showing. For those that went, how many people were at the actual "showing" of the new viper?

All of VOI was there. We all had to sign NDA's when we registered and all cameras and phones were taken before you got to get into the sneak peek area.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By closest, I do not mean close. Just closer based on obervations of individuals who have seen the mockup.

You say thats the closest anyone has come. Did you see the Viper at VOI? Just curious if you're saying thats the closest to what you actually saw at VOI.

If THAT is close, I dont like it at all. Looks like an S2000 and Nissan 350Z meets a 8C.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
umm

this one:

You must be registered for see images attach

or this one:

You must be registered for see images attach

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No worries guys, none are really even close. The idea that one photo may have a few items that are similar to the car is as close a reach as anyone has gotten. The reality is the magazines/e-zines are grasping for straws and trying to pin it down without success. If this was a robbery suspect and someone was trying to help the police with an artist's rendering , they are not likely to catch the thief this century, ha.

viperbuck93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally, all the mock up's & renderings I have seen are terrible, I don't think any of them have the signature Viper trademarks.All of them appear to have Ferarri resemblance. Even through the changes from gen. to gen. the Viper remained true to it's original form (for the most part).There is something **** and agressive about the shape and lines of the Viper, if there is indeed a gen V, I hope they remain true to the viper heritage!!!
Just my two cents. :dunno:

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think all of you VOI guys are playing tricks on the rest of us (wasn't back in the Viper fold until recently).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh