Autoweek guess about the new Gen V Viper

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my AutoWeek magazine today and they had an article saying that the Viper will continue. They quoted some people who had a quick preview in Orlando at a dealers convention. They have 2 photos of what they think the car will look like, but having seen the real thing they seem to have missed pretty badly. The coupe is far off and the roadster looks like a Nissan 370-Z to me. I was confused with seeing sidepipes in addition to what appeared as exhaust tips coming out the back. Interesting job of Photoshop.

What I saw in Salt Lake was way different from these photos.

A person who was there and saw the real car deserves to feel a little bit smug. The journalists are usually the first to see the concepts and spy photos, but Dodge treated the VCA to an amazing opportunity to see something before the rest of the automotive world. I will keep all the guessswork articles and see who actually figures out what the car will look like.

We know that the Salt Lake car is not the final design, but we can see where they are going.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 118

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my Autoweek. It looks better than a Gen III/IV but doesn't blow my socks off yet!. The design seems to be a clash of curves and edges. What made the Gen II design so great was it was all curves NOT edges. I wish the designers get the theme right: CURVES NOT EDGES OR ANGLES! Arguably, most classic car designs have curves.

Two R/Ts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How did you like your first VOI? I was down visiting relatives, so I Attended the Viper Cup and World Challenge Races. I saw only a couple of the Washington club there. I saw the Grail Keepers VOI 10 edition Viper also. I here the food was great!

OP
OP
R

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a great place and a lot of fun. I met Tom Gale and Francois Castaing when they were just touring the parking garage and checking out all of the 300+ Vipers parked there. The banquets and presentations were great and it was exciting to meet the head of Dodge Ralph Gilles. The introduction of the 2012 Viiper was probably the biggest event for me.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since quite a few others who were in attendance have already posted some rather detailed descriptions I do not believe that what you signed was the type of NDA you think it was. If you kept a copy, read it again.

They just do not want any photos out. They undoubtedly do want the buzz from written descriptions. Once that buzz starts to fade I expect to see some "leaked" photos of part of the car. This is the technique that has recently been employed with what seems to be great success at maximizing publicity at a relatively small cost.

That what Jimmy and me heard also :) By the way the concept we saw doesn't even look close but by signing the NDA I promised to keep my mouth shut... sorry!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New car looked very organic to me. Those who want the curves brought back should be very happy.

Very **** body indeed.

What we saw was a basic coupe, with no wings or enhancements.

Feel strongly that those people who purchase the new Viper will have a huge feeling of pride that they own such a beautiful car.

If a winged ACR version is later released I would expect ViperDays/NARRA group to go crazy.

Gonna be a fast, well handling beauty indeed.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While there were some things I did not like about the new gen V Viper, as I walked back into the hotel lobby I met Willie Da P. heading over to the Little America for the car review.
I stopped him and told him to add my name to the list for the new car. Ya know what? I was FOURTH on his list, and that list has grown to over 10 people already!
(And I took delivery of my new 2010 roadster in July and I now have almost 3000 miles on it!)

Remember-
design is not done
There has been no formal announcement of this car yet
Pricing has not been set
Options have not been set
Colors have not been chosen yet (but we inout on our favorites)
We don't have a factory
We don't have suppliers or tools
We don't have trained craftspeople

It's going to be a while folks!!

Enjoy the anticipation!

Rich- I'm glad you had a good time!!
PBR

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph told me there was going to be another version that would be "nasty". That is what Im waiting for! :)