B & M RIPPER SHIFTER FOR GEN 3 VIPERS

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this shifter will work on the gen 3 cars? Summit ang Jegs Says it will fit til 2002. I have the tranny out and it will be a snap to throw in, if it works. From the pic it looks the same but who knows......

B & M ripper shifter for dodge
6400b_m_ripper_shifter_for_viper.jpg

vd.. :2tu:

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would also like to know. To place the above, do you have to drill out rivets? Also do you have to drill out several new holes for the bolts? If so, does anyone make a good unit that will fit the existing bolt pattern.?

Viper D
What are you up to now? Are you changing the tranny ratios? One has to get up pretty early in the morning to stay ahead of you :2tu:

OP
OP
V

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did a a rps race clutch and light flywheel (getting ready for my 1000 hp buid up. But had problems with defective slave cyl for the clutch so the tranny is out of the car til tuesday. So i have a chance to install the shifter with no drilling or rivets.

vd..

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought the B&M from Northwind for my 04 SRT....They told me that it fit on SRT's. B&M was no help and in fact a little rude. I haven't installed it yet....I'm a little uneasy about drilling into the tunnel. It was very easy to swap the shifer in my Z06. This will definitely be harder to install.

OP
OP
V

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The B & M shifter is a 30% shorter shift, it shift and clicks into gears with a positive stop. The mgw can be used with the ripper since the mgw is just a shift nob/shaft. (I aready have the mgw gripper that I will use with the ripper)

so it will be a ripper gripper set up (lol) :p :p :p

vd..

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine from Summit Racing 2002 same as 2004 took a local mechanic (not really a mechanic more like handy man) about an hour to drill out the rivets and install with MGW gripper down loaded the instructions from B&M web site. The shifter is significant improvement over stock.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The B&M was a HUGE improvement over the stock shifter in my 93. More positive feel and stronger springs led to little guessing what gear you were reaching for. In the B&M instructions for the Gen1/2 Vipers if you were going to install the shifter from above you had to drill out the rivets that hold the shift boot in place and then they suggested that you drill two 3/4" holes in the tunnel to access the bolts that hold the shifter down. If you do not want to drill the two holes in the tunnel - I am 99.9999% sure you could reach the bolts with the right combination of 1/4" universal joint and extensions through the shifter opening.

Good Luck!

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To install this on the 03 or 04, do you just remove the chrome ring around the shifter and boot or do you have to remove the console etc? (I have looked at the install guide, but the viper has changed)

I ordered one from summit, but the tech advice only went so far. Didn't know about the rivets and what to replace them with and didn't know about having to remove console. He said the kit did not come with new rivets or new gasket!?

OP
OP
V

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The shifer works great can use 100% on 03 and 04's

I had the tranny out of the car and the shifter was installed from under the car and then raised up into the tunnel. I have no idea if it can just be dropped in from inside the car.

vd..

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the same part as GENI, II.

Wonder how many people will experience them breaking where the vertical shaft coming from the transmission mates to the "middle horizontal piece" used to get the shifter out through the stock location. Broke one in my vette, and my GenII the part fractured in the exact location both times. The fracture revealed that the inside of the particular part wasnt solid metal. Weird.

They replaced them, but the design flaw is there.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isn't there anyone out there that did this install themself, from the top, on the 03 or 04? I sure would like to talk with you.
thanks

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hull, Ma. summer /Delray Beach Fl. winter
i have previously posted the install on the b & m shifter. it is the same as from 2001 i think the # is 4050 i might not have the right # but it will work the b & M changes the ratio to speed up the shift and helps the 2 3 shift a lot i hag the mgw short shifter and it speeds up shift buy lowering the arm lenght which changes ratio. they both work great. steve

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Bugeater
Looks like the same part as GENI, II.

Wonder how many people will experience them breaking where the vertical shaft coming from the transmission mates to the "middle horizontal piece" used to get the shifter out through the stock location. Broke one in my vette, and my GenII the part fractured in the exact location both times. The fracture revealed that the inside of the particular part wasnt solid metal. Weird.

They replaced them, but the design flaw is there.

It was my understanding that there was a design change (within the past year) that addressed issues with breakage. There was also a part number change that reflected this new design.

Winter's approaching fast - <font color="red"> TIME TO DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

</font> :headbang:

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the console comes off and it must not be that difficult to do basing that on who I had do mine sorry but can not give specifics. I do know that the above link is listed for vipers to 2002 but works the same on 2004 SRT-10. Guy that did actual install said there was some slight differences in directions and install on SRT-10 but was easy to do from inside the car and only took him about an hour. The part number is correct in my previous post since that is the part I installed and is the only part number for the Viper.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
seems like a waste of money. i have the knob George sells at mgw the gripper and it shortens the throw ALOT. combine that with the shiorter arm you get on the b&amp;m and you could be too short! for a fraction of the money you can get a proven piece that I THINK works just as good, and takes 1 minute to install! I suggest to go buy Georges piece first, and if you still want more buy the BM. but mgw is a no brainor for the money and the looks!

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
V10kingsnake
Unless you have had both SEPARATELY and used each for a time, how would you know? The BM can accommodate a shorter shaft (shifter) or the stock one. Plus it has different springs etc. And who said it was recommended to combine the MGW with the bm--especially their shortest version with their bezel.

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both the B&amp;M ripper and MGW gripper which I think is the perfect combination. Perfect length not too short. Could not imagine a more complete combination. They are made for each other. I am getting misty eyed. :2tu:

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok kelly06 i gave the opinion on the issue, and i have had BOTH and from my POST you can see that one is nolonger in the picture, waste of MY money, didnt make anything any better, or worse. just not an improvement worth my time or coin. i had the bm with the mgw and the stick was too darn tiny. i heard of short shifters but 3 inch stick was a bit too little. thanks -josh

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK. I guess this is one of those issues that screams personal preference. Guess I'll try the MGW first since it is the easiest install. :D

OP
OP
V

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have both the B&amp;M ripper and MGW gripper which I think is the perfect combination. Perfect length not too short. Could not imagine a more complete combination. They are made for each other. I am getting misty eyed. :2tu:

I am with joe or bob 100% on this one ;)

vd..