Balenger Head Gasket Issue

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone had problems with the Balenger head gaskets? After a very long day at Mid-Ohio beating up on some acuras and porches I started to get a unpleasant smell inside the car (Might have been the Acura I ran over :lmao:). Couldnt find what it was until I got home that night. The driver side header gasket was leaking (black soot). So I called Lou and got a replacement gasket. I did the repair but the smell only got a little better. So after removing both side sills and replacing clamps on the exhaust I thought I had fixed the issue.

I went out yesterday and the smell is still there. It is (Exhaust smell) so I take a much better look at the passanger side and I see it has a leak also at the header gasket. So now im going to replace that one also. Did I do something wrong that made these go bad so soon? I did the re-tighten after the 100 miles or so. Maybe I should do it every other track day?

Are there better head Gaskets that can hold up to Track Temps?

Thanks in advance.:2tu:

Last edited:

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Belanger supplied gaskets and got exhaust leaks after about 300 miles. Replaced them with the Dodge metal gaskets - no problem since. I did re-tighten the bolts after a couple of heat cyles.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone had problems with the Balenger head gaskets? After a very long day at Mid-Ohio beating up on some acuras and porches I started to get a unpleasant smell inside the car (Might have been the Acura I ran over :lmao:). Couldnt find what it was until I got home that night. The driver side head gasket was leaking (black soot). So I called Lou and got a replacement gasket. I did the repair but the smell only got a little better. So after removing bothe side sills and replacing clamps on the exhaust I thought I had fixed the issue.

I went out yesterday and the smell is still there. It is (Exhaust smell) so I take a much better look at the passanger side and I see it has a leak also at the head gasket. So now im going to replace that one also. Did I do something wrong that made these go bad so soon? I did the re-tighten after the 100 miles or so. Maybe I should do it every other track day?

Are there better head Gaskets that can hold up to Track Temps?

Thanks in advance.:2tu:

If Bellanger isn't supplying the factory MLS [ stainless ] style exhaust gaskets, throw those worthless pieces of crap away. Go to a dealer and get some of the factory ones. They are cheap and they will seal properly. There's a number of internet dealers that sell them cheaper without much of a Viper tax as well.

--FQB

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The grey fiber gaskets are junk. They will get hard, brittle, and fail.

Thats what happened to the first one I changed out. It litteraly just fell into pieces as I pulled the header away. My first thought was "dang..what junk" but then I havn't had a lot of experience changing lots of different type cars headers out so maybe that was normal? Guess not.
Thanks Dave and I just got off the phone with the local dealership and the OEM ones will be in tomorrow. So I will have one side with OEM and the other with a Balenger gasket. Well see who looses soon enough I guess.:dunno:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing before installation that I was apprised of - to change to the mopar stock metal gaskets....there have been many reported issues with the ones supplied with the Belangers...in fact I heard at one point they would be coming with the metal ones......

Last edited:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've installed & ran personally Belanger Headers for years in the past & have always used the stock Viper Multi Layered Stainless (MLS) Steel Gasket because they just dont't fail. I tried the Belanger supplied thermal gasket & it is decent but not Track worthy. By the time your done tightening the exhaust flange down properly the Belanger supplied gasket is "smashed" pretty good & with Viper's OEM MLS Stailess Steel Gasket when properly torqued it's "compressed" the way your Viper Head Gasket or a Kometic Head Gasket would be (BY DESIGN). I run the Factory Viper MLS Stainless Steel Exhaust Gaskets on all of my ACRX-Header installtions & recommend exclusively to all clients.

Go Viper you'll be in better shape IMHO:usa:
Toddy G

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've installed & ran personally Belanger Headers for years in the past & have always used the stock Viper Multi Layered Stainless (MLS) Steel Gasket because they just dont't fail. I tried the Belanger supplied thermal gasket & it is decent but not Track worthy. By the time your done tightening the exhaust flange down properly the Belanger supplied gasket is "smashed" pretty good & with Viper's OEM MLS Stailess Steel Gasket when properly torqued it's "compressed" the way your Viper Head Gasket or a Kometic Head Gasket would be (BY DESIGN). I run the Factory Viper MLS Stainless Steel Exhaust Gaskets on all of my ACRX-Header installtions & recommend exclusively to all clients.

Go Viper you'll be in better shape IMHO:usa:
Toddy G

Thanks Todd
Good to know and when the driver side fails again (im sure it will the way I drive:D) I will put the other OEM on that side too. If I get realy inspired maybe Ill just take the drivers one back out that I just replaced.

Thanks
Shandon

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the OEM part number for a 2005 SRT-10? Thanks...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth