Belanger Headers Dyno Results

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had Belanger headers installed a few weeks ago. I drove the car approx. 400 miles since install, per Lou's request, before taking it to the dyno. My best pull was 470.05RWHP/477.09RWTQ. I gained 15.21RWHP/3.53RWTQ. I believe these results are in line with what others have gotten on a stock engine. Only other upgrade I have is the K&N kit. I will be installing a DC tune early next week. Should get a few more horses there, as the car is running rich. Overall, this is about what I expected. Not much results for dollar$ spent, but I love the new sound!!:D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep--headers don't make for much more hp...we have the B&B Stepped headers, sound is totally AWESOME...no drone. We got more gains with the Corsa Track Cat-Back Exhaust.
So, B767DRIVER, your gains are par for the course with ours...tho different headers. Your DC tune should really shake things up...let us know how it goes!! (we're tuned to just right now) ~juli~

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your numbers. Just to clarify, you have a 2006 Viper with Belanger headers and the K & N Cold Air Intake (or just the K & N Filters?). Your car does not have a Belanger or other aftermarket exhaust kit like a Belanger sidepipe kit or Corsa cat-back exhaust? Thanks for the clarification.

/Rich

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Question, ditto rcl4668. What's behind the Belanger headers???

Did you buy their cats, mufflers and side exhausts or did you keep your crossovers?

Car shouldn't be running too rich as installing the headers will lean your air / fuel ratio.

Dan

OP
OP
B

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the K&N cold air intake....behind the headers I have Belanger exhaust with NO cats. I had and removed Corsa Track with metal substrate RT hi-flow cats, which I whink was a very efficient exhaust setup. Therefore, I think 99.9% of my gains are from the headers alone. I was running really rich before the headers(10.5). It did lean it a little maybe 11.0 now at the richest.

Last edited:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the K&N cold air intake....behind the headers I have Belanger exhaust with NO cats. I had and removed Corsa Track with metal substrate RT hi-flow cats, which I whink was a very efficient exhaust setup. Therefore, I think 99.9% of my gains are from the headers alone.

B767Driver --

Thanks for the clarification. I am asking the following because I plan on installing almost identical mods to my 2008 Viper when it arrives in the fall. My question is this: K&N claims on their website that their cold air intake for the Viper will net about 15 hp at the flywheel. Thus, I am wondering where your 15 rwp (about 20 flywheel hp?) is actually coming from. What concerns me even more is that you not only have the K&N CAI, you also have the Belanger headers plus the Belanger side exhaust kit. Does this mean that the headers plus exhaust are contributing minimal (2-5 hp) if any horsepower? I find that difficult to believe.

I plan on installing (1) the Mopar tubular headers (these are manufactured by Belanger), (2) the Belanger sidepipe exhaust and (3) the Mopar Cold Air Intake ( I have been informed that this will be either the functional equivalent or even simply a rebadged K&N CAI kit). According to Lou Belanger and the Dodge press releases on the Mopar Concept Coupe, adding these parts resulted in 675 flywheel hp, up from 600 hp in the standard 2008 Viper. Lou shared that even this figure was conservative and that the folks at McLaren were estimating that this total package was putting out vloser to 700 flywheel hp.

Now, Lou also shared that the folks at McLaren dynoed the stock 2008 motor and that the engine was actually putting out closer to 615-620 flywheel horspeower. So, even assuming that we started at 620 hp stock, the Belanger headers, Belanger side exhaust and the CAI seem to be yielding at least 30-40 additional horsepower. What complicates this is that the Mopar Concept Coupe also has other internal mods such as "Titanium Valves and Connecting Rods, Cast Litex Pistons and Lightened Crankshaft and a High Flow Intake Manifold" but I can't imagine that these mods contribute the bulk of the additional horsepower.

Lou Belanger is currently building my 2008 headers ( I believe mine will be the first commercially available) and now I am concerned that the horsepower increase will be negligible as opposed to the 40-50 hp that Lou cites for his headers and exhaust combination. I was hoping conservatively for at least a 10-15 flywheel hp gain from the addition of the Belanger headers alone with perhaps another 5-10 flywheel hp from the Belanger exhaust and another 10-15 hp from the CAI.

Anyone have any idea what the possible reasons are for the discrepancy between B767's numbers and the numbers cited by DCX and Lou Belanger? (I know, it's somewhat apples to oranges because we are talking about a 2006 motor versus the 2008 motor, but humor me anyway.)

/Rich

OP
OP
B

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dynoed my car with the K&N CAI, RT cats, and Corsa Track exhaust. My best pull was 454.84RWHP/473.56RWTQ. I installed the Belanger headers and exhaust minus cats. Lou wanted me to drive the car 300-500 miles, to let the computer adjust, before dynoing. I did and my best pull was 470.05RWHP/477.09RWTQ. Because I already had a free flowing exhaust, I feel all my gain was from headers alone. Unfortunately, I did not do a stock dyno. Headers alone on a newer gen3 car will not gain 50RWHP. No one that I know of has gotten that kind of gain. I did not expect 50hp as Lou told me I would. Nice thought though. I have seen too many times on here what folks have gotten(15-20hp). I think that with headers and a quality free flowing exhaust, K&N CAI and a tune you can get an additional 50+RWHP. I know what K&N claims but I'm not too sure that you will get 15 flywheel hp. I know that it helps, just not 15hp worth. I will be installing a DC tune in a couple days and will dyno again the see what kind of gains that will give me. I'm only expecting single digit gains on top. Although, I do expect double digits in the mid-range.

Sterling

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never dyno'd my '06, but I gained 37 rwhp on my 2003 from stock after addition of Belanger headers, single hi flow cat, and belanger exhaust (2.5") with no crossover. No intake mod was done. I currently have the exact same setup on my '06 - I LOVE the sound!

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger also claims that you remove about 70 pounds of weight by switching to the headers and exhaust and removing the crossover. However, if their claim of 50rwhp gains is exaggerated, why should somebody believe anything they say?

Did the headers and exhaust help with some of the cabin heat problem?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. B767Driver: I understand now how you estimated the gain from the headers alone and am relieved. Lous actually quotd me a gain of 40-50 hp for the headers PLUS his sidepipe exhaust kit so actually the numbers you and others having been reporting are not too far off the mark.

Like I mentioned before, if the Mopar CAI plus Belanger/Mopar headers plus Belanger sidepipe kit = 50 hp I would be pleased.

Alex, actually on the weight issue, Lou reported that because the crossover has been eliminated from the 2008 , you would not see the kind of weight savings as on the 2003-2006 models with the use of his headers and exhaust.

/Rich

OP
OP
B

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I currently have the exact same setup on my '06 - I LOVE the sound!
I too LOVE the new sound!! That was my primary reason for the change. Although, I did like the sound of the metal substrate RT cats and Corsa Track exhaust, I was looking for a deeper, less raspy, less metallic sound. I got exactly what I was looking for. The aluminized metal works!

Did the headers and exhaust help with some of the cabin heat problem?
I had already taken care of my heat issue with the RT/Corsa setup. There was a dramatic change in the heat with that system. Running even cooler now with complete removal of the cats.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bellangers without crossover pipes DO help 100% on the heat issue; even the sidesills are cooler. In fact, you can put your hand or the back of our calf (if wearing shorts), and not get burned. The WOT sound is awesome. I like mine on my "05 (with hiflo cats).

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
b767driver,
want to get the balenger setup like yours without cats also like yours. I was nervous about it being too loud, but it sounds like you are happy. Do you get flames out the side pipes?

OP
OP
B

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
b767driver,
want to get the balenger setup like yours without cats also like yours. I was nervous about it being too loud, but it sounds like you are happy. Do you get flames out the side pipes?

As you know, exhaust sound is very subjective. It's hard to say what too loud is from one person to the next. To me its not too loud. At idle and cruise the car isn't loud at all. Under WOT the sound is loud. Although, I have heard lots of Harleys louder than my car. I would suggest trying to find someone in your area that has the same or similar setup so you can hear it. Try to attend a Viper Days event and you can hear different exhaust there. Sound clips over the internet do not do justice to the sound. A friend just installed the same setup as I have but he has the Belanger supplied cats and there is hardly no difference in the sound of our cars. I do get quiet a few flames. Very noticeable at night.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have seen, most 03-06 vipers rear wheel dyno aaprox 430-439 RWHP, given that the SRT has an extremely efficient cold air device built into the hood of the car, the SRT K&N probably does very little for DYNO Horsepower, ( road HP while your are actually moving it could result in a few ponies ) most of your gaisn are probably attributable to teh Belanger system. So you have in effect gained about 35 RWHP, once you tune with Dan you will see the real gain as your present tune is set up for stock. While you have your car at Dan's have him throw in a 708 cam from the Comp coupe and then you should see another 30-40 RWHP ( my new crate comp coupe engine Rear wheel dynoed 520 RWHP, and the only differences from stock are supposed to be tune, belanger headers, cat back and 708 cam.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with B767Driver that hearing a sound clip over your computer speakers is just not the same as hearing the Belanger setup in person but here is a clip I recorded of a 2003 with Belanger headers and exhaust. This car also had a Paxton supercharger installed which accounts for some of the hissing sound in the background but does not really change the tone of the exhaust. Enjoy:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr_u9aZoK9g

/Rich

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have seen, most 03-06 vipers rear wheel dyno aaprox 430-439 RWHP, given that the SRT has an extremely efficient cold air device built into the hood of the car, the SRT K&N probably does very little for DYNO Horsepower, ( road HP while your are actually moving it could result in a few ponies ) most of your gaisn are probably attributable to teh Belanger system. So you have in effect gained about 35 RWHP, once you tune with Dan you will see the real gain as your present tune is set up for stock. While you have your car at Dan's have him throw in a 708 cam from the Comp coupe and then you should see another 30-40 RWHP ( my new crate comp coupe engine Rear wheel dynoed 520 RWHP, and the only differences from stock are supposed to be tune, belanger headers, cat back and 708 cam.

my bonestock dyno was 449.4rwhp and 489.0 rwtq. His numbers seem low for an srt with headers and the K&N intake. I haven't dyno'd since adding my belangers, hi-flow cats, crossover delete, magnaflow coffee cans, K&N and DC perf tune but I definately feel a remarkable sotp improvement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R