Benefits of a 180 degree thermostat????

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cooler operating temperature if you're driving down the road and are getting enough air through the radiator. When you come to a stop, you have a little more time before it gets hot again as it was cooler and the water is going through the radiator. If you're stopped and above 195 with the radiator fan on, there's no benefit. It's only while driving and immediately after.

Regards,
Sean

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, I have the 180 thermo from Sean in my 96. I love to see my temp down below the 190 line, just gives me a warm fuzzy :D I find that after I have stopped(depending on the outside temp) I have between 3-5 minutes before it climbes above the 210 range(rarely does). I believe Ben Treynor said it gave him another 20 HP on the dyno run(before his small S/C mod :D ).

Mike

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its pretty easy. Although you have to pull the intake manifold off.

I did a 180T because I was putting a blower on, so it was a good time to do that.

So if you are going to do a T-stat, you have to take off the manifold, what a better time to do a Roe blower.
Make sure to order gaskets because you will have your engine apart and realize you done have the gaskets!!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They do (Mopar Performance Accessory), but why not support Sean's business?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How bad is that?

Carl

Its not difficult at all and only takes about 5 mins. You should pick up another set of intake gaskets. There are 2. They have plastic tabs that push into the motor to hold them in place while you put the intake back on.

So if you are going to do a 180 degree order 2 intake manifold gaskets and the thermostat housing gasket.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score

How bad is that?

Carl

Its not difficult at all and only takes about 5 mins. You should pick up another set of intake gaskets. There are 2. They have plastic tabs that push into the motor to hold them in place while you put the intake back on.

So if you are going to do a 180 degree order 2 intake manifold gaskets and the thermostat housing gasket.

5 minutes?????? Really. It looks like it's got 20+ screws. I must be looking at it wrong.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's all? I haven't changed a T-stat in ten years (and that was on a 67 Falcon) - simply remove the 20? bolts, pull off the intake manifold, and you've got access to the thermostat? Only 2 gaskets? On roeracing.com, it says 3 gaskets are required...

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks to me as though you have to pull the intake manifold completely just to get the the t-stat housing.

Carl

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this without removing the intake manifold. Just remove the cowl underneath the windshield. You have to be a bit creative to get the T stat in position and get it in, but it works.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 minutes?????? Really. It looks like it's got 20+ screws. I must be looking at it wrong.

Take all the bolts out and it will come right off. There are a couple goodies screwed to the back of the manifold but they will be obvious.

Its really not hard at all.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this without removing the intake manifold. Just remove the cowl underneath the windshield. You have to be a bit creative to get the T stat in position and get it in, but it works.

What the? How did you do that? Took off the cowl? The T stat is on the other side of the motor? Or are you saying you unbolted the manifold and just laid it back?

Please explain.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What the? How did you do that? Took off the cowl? The T stat is on the other side of the motor? Or are you saying you unbolted the manifold and just laid it back?

Please explain.
I did mine without taking off themanifold too. Take off the wipers, cowl, and be able to work your hands into a tight area. Not difficult, just time consuming. Make sure to drain about a 1/2 to 1 gallon of antifrezze out first.

Mike

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone please explain this to me!! How can taking off the cowel help with the thermostat when the housing is under the front portion of the intake manifold not even close to the cowel.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sapphire... lol.. Different gen of engines.. Gen I has the Tstat located at the back of the engine and doesn't require the removal of the intake to remove/replace.. just the wiper arms and cowl.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I never realized Gen II T stats were in the front.

Dude! I was totally thrown by that. I had no idea that the G1 Tstats were on the other side. Next time I see one I have to take a gander at the engine so I can see the difference.

Is there that much difference?
:)

Thanks for clearing that up

GII is here
You must be registered for see images

where is G1? Pics?

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason I can't see a t-stat in that picture. Just some whistling block of glistening, gorgeous liability....

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I service manual indicates that to change the thermostat which is on the rear of the engine, remove the wipers and cowl to gain access. Nothing mentioned about having to remove the intake manifold. :usa:

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know if you will be able to see it (T stat) in pics. I'll try to take pics later tonight and post them.

I was second guessing myself when you said its on the other end of the engine, but I had done it so then I started second guessing what you had done HAHAHHAHA

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron..I have supported many vendor's on the board, and will continue to do so.

DJ..Good to see you post now and then. If you Viper owners have not taken your Vipers to David Jenkins you are missing out on great service ( Shameless Plug)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62