Bernie Katz/ BJ Motors---Way Above and Beyond

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about putting this in the vendor forum but frankly it does not involve buying from a vendor. It involves someone doing something for absolutely nothing in return and just out of friendship and passion for Vipers.

I don't know how many of you have dealt with Bernie Katz of BJ Motors but if you have not I hope you get the opportunity. I am embarrassed to say even though Bernie is nearby for one reason or another I have never bought from him.

Recently, I became enamored of yet another 2010 Viper-- this one an Anaconda Green Vert that reminded me of my first snake a 95 emerald green. There was a dealer in Texas who had one with 200 miles. I was skeptical of the car and dealer. I emailed Bernie and asked if he knew of someone who could check it out. A day later while I am in a meeting in Chicago I learn that Bernie is at the dealer with the car on a lift sending me pics. I am then on the phone with him and he goes over the car in detail while checking it out.

I end up buying the car. I tell Bernie I don't want the dealer touching it or setting up transfer. He says, " I'll pick it up and put it with my stuff inside". All along the way I keep insisting " what do I owe you" Bernie says "not a cent""

Today the dealer took awhile to get my wire. Bernie waited patiently (with his wife no less) Finally the deal gets done and Bernie EVEN calls the dealer to speed it up. As I write this Bernie is taking his hauler to go pick it up because he was worried about driving it in Houston rush hour.

Bernie has also set up transportation to my home in Virginia (the new earthquake capital).

I have bought many cars in the last 20 years but I have NEVER had such and experience as this--and from someone who is not realizing one red cent. When I repeatedly demand to pay him he says. " Terry, you owe me nothing. This is all about the passion for the car."

There are many great Viper stories, but to me none say passion better than this one. For a guy to totally take over a situation like this is beyond heartwarming.

I cannot say enough about Bernie/ BJ Motors. I can only imagine what an actual buying experience would be like. Terry Bagley

Last edited:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terry, although I offered to go look at it for you, you found an inspector (Bernie) who is light years ahead of me at inspecting Vipers. Glad it worked out for you, enjoy your new ride, sounds like a beauty :2tu:

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terry, although I offered to go look at it for you, you found an inspector (Bernie) who is light years ahead of me at inspecting Vipers. Glad it worked out for you, enjoy your new ride, sounds like a beauty :2tu:

Yes, I appreciate it and was about to take you up on it and suddenly Bernie was under a lift with his camera. Thanks

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post some pics when you have it in your hands.....is this the one with the tan interior combo????

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bernie is a Great Guy.

I met him a while back through a mutual friend who was picking up a car at Lambo Dallas. We spent most of the
day chatting about cars while we loaded up my buddies new Lambo. Bernie ended up buying everyone lunch that day.
How I saw him handle the transaction with the dealer was more than impressive.

I look forward to doing some business with him.

Hey Bernie, I am buying lunch next time man!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And with a certain ironic twist, BOTH of you guys are 'from Virginia'

I got my 09 ACR from BK, no surprise......

CONGRATS.. Great Snag....

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I first met Bernie in person at VOI X, what a classy and knowledgeable guy! The final night (at the Belle Isle dinner) I was at the same table as Bernie, his wife, Bob Woodhouse and his wife and a few other great people I've met in this club, so I'm not surprised you had a great experience!

Regards,
AAron

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And with a certain ironic twist, BOTH of you guys are 'from Virginia'

I got my 09 ACR from BK, no surprise......

CONGRATS.. Great Snag....

Jon brings up a very salient point. Bernie was not just an owner helping another owner, he is also avery large Viper/exotic dealer. So here he is doing all this work for me while I am buying a Viper from another local dealer. Not once did he suggest that I buy one of the several Vipers on his lot. In fact, after evaluating the car he says "you are getting a good deal."

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchesed my 03 from him in April 2010. Emails and telephone calls were always promptly returned, and we made the deal. I rented a car, drove to his place near Richmond. Bernie was in Texas at the time, so I was not able to meet him personally, but his wife Graciela pick me up at Enterprise, and drove me to the shop, where my car was shiny and waiting.

I bought the car based upon recommendations of people on this board concerning Bernie's rep, and I can highly recommend him as well.

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased my previous Viper from Bernie, so your story does not surprise me at all. He is extremely helpful, very knowledgeable and a real pleasure to deal with!! Congrats on your new Viper!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bernie is top notch. Glad to have him down here in Houston.

Tony

+1 This, Bernie is an asset to all Viper fans in the Houston area. He just lives/breaths Vipers, he's like a kid in a candy store when he's in the Tomball Dodge shop, and always kind enough to stop by and say hi to customers having work done. Top notch class act :2tu:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Tomball Dodge "vault" has cost me a lot of money in the last year...:omg:
And Bernie K has made it all TOO easy. :2tu:

GOLI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought quite a few cars from Bernie.

Something I would like to add in. Its not just his passion for vipers. I have bought Corvettes and Cadillacs a few Lamborghini's and a race car from Bernie. He is a true car enthusiast with a love for the people involved.

Over the process I have become great friends with Bernie and his wife. Not only does he look out for your best interest in deals hes not involved in, he also has some pretty amazing contacts in shipping and people looking for financial help. Now that we have a personal relationship I see the behind the scene stuff he is constantly doing to help his customers.

I love hearing this feedback from a close friend of mine!!

Regards
Garett

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see this kind of service. Bernie may have gotten something from the dealer that sold the Viper (he should). Vipers are not easy cars to sell. They're looking for special owners.

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car arrived With all of 270 miles(what a deal!). Bernie's detail man was amazing and all that Bernie did was nuts ! Will try to post pics later. Thanks, Bernie, BJ, Tomball.

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These stories are part of the reason why I CANNOT WAIT to become a part of this community. Luckily for me, his VA dealership is within reach.