Best pads street/track?

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for the best compromise for a street/track pad set up. The car is mainly street driven with a few track weekends per yr. I have been leaning towards brakeman 3s from what I could gather on previous posts. Anyone agree or have other suggestions?

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Brakeman 3's on the street will squeal you to death. I use them for the track but I replace the with the stock ones when I get home.

Otherwise my car sounds like a locomotive coming to a stop. Real long squeal.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Iceman is correct. Your best bet, because changing pads is easy, is to buy brakeman #3 for track events and buy EBC greens for the street. EBC's are very inexpensive and depending how aggresive you are on the track, you'll likely eat a set of front #3's up on a weekend anyway.
That's what I do. EBC's don't have near the stopping power the #3's do, but quiet and very clean is why they are great for the street.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed, Brakeman #3 for the track is an improvement. Add S.S. brake lines and you are good to go depending on how aggressive you are on the brakes while on the track and the amount of time you threshold brake.
Street pads just run what you like best. EBC Green for less dust, although they have less initial bite, but cost considerably less. Stock pads are actually good street pads, but they dust a lot and are not cheap.
The pads are so easy to change, it really is no problem to switch back and forth.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using some StopTech Club Race pads on the front as duel purpose pads. They squeal a bit, like stock pads, and are dusty but have held up to track use so far. The Axxis Ultimate pads got too hot in track use. I am thinking about switching back to the Axxis pads for street and something more aggressive for the track.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any other pads available than EBC (No dust/less power), Brakeman #3 (more dust/more power).

I noticed that Tirerack was selling these:
3114sbs_protrack.jpg

SBS ProTrack Endurance Pads (Material: Composite)
Endurance pads feature a carbon ceramic compound to assure high temperature performance, Pro Track – Endurance pads are recommended for high performance street and track use.

Anyone used these? Garbage or OK?

Anything else out there?????

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance Friction 01's I think are the best. I use them in the front and the Brakeman 3's in the back.

I have been to 4 track days with this combo, and I think the pads have another 10 full track days before they wear out.

PS: I think you guys brake too much to wear out pads in one day.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been to 4 track days with this combo, and I think the pads have another 10 full track days before they wear out.

No offense Iceman, but if you can get 10+ track days out of a set of race pads then you are not going fast enough! :)

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fiorano was looking for the best compromise for a street/track pad set up.

Thats what I am trying to find too. NOT ALL TRACK.

Are the Performance Friction 01 pads good in everyday street use????

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No offense Iceman, but if you can get 10+ track days out of a set of race pads then you are not going fast enough! :)

I trashed a set of fronts in one day, Is that good? :eek:

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I trashed a set of fronts in one day, Is that good? :eek:

Your the fastest Dan :)

B. R.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if they make them in your fitment, but if they do they should be good, Axxis brand, Ultimate model. If those aren't available, then I have no idea.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the Performance Friction 01 pads good in everyday street use????

No, they will chew up your rotors. The reason track pads will squeak on the street as they are not getting hot enough. Brakeman 3's are a good choice for street & track, however it really only takes about 10-15 min to change out the front brake pads on a Viper. I would simply just change out the pads before a track event so that you are not sacrificing safety and performance by trying to get the best of both worlds. Good luck. :)

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys who change the pads back and forth not feel it necessary to scuff the rotors to remove the different pad material?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Performance Friction 01's I think are the best. I use them in the front and the Brakeman 3's in the back.

What are your lap times?
The faster you go in the straights, the more braking you do going into the corners (typically).

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys who change the pads back and forth not feel it necessary to scuff the rotors to remove the different pad material?

I do, I use Porterfield r4's on track and EBC Green on the street. I have no problem going from EBC to Porterfield, but the other way around and I get a "bounce" in the peddle.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing rotors with each pad type would seem to be the best option (if not the easiest).

From what little I know, establishing an even transfer layer (of pad material) on the rotor is important for optimum brake performance.

Using different pad materials on the rotor without removing the previous pad material can lead to brake judder as the transfer layer becomes uneven from the "mixing" of different pad materials (as Dan has noted).

I use Brakeman 3's on the track on the GTS. They also do well on the street with very little squealing for me BUT it's important to clean the rotors and bed the new brake pads in properly to minimize this.

Just my $.02.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually just go to track days. Was at Moroso last weekend with the Porsche club. No one passed me in the intermediate group.

PS: Are all South Florida Vipers used as Grocery geters, because I certainly don't see any at the track (speaking of the Moroso and Homestead tracks).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R