Best way to clean inside of intake manifold?

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my intake manifold and valve covers powder coated and noticed that the inside of the manifold has a bunch of powder/blasting media coating it. Any tips on making sure to get all that crud out of the runners? Also, I'm sure the fuel rails have crud in them as well but I can't get the plugs on the back of the manifold off (tried an impact and also a breaker bar).

Would a pressure washer be a good start, then follow up with carb cleaner?

Thanks!

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had mine done they taped all the openings off, so nothing got inside. Be carefull, I'd call Chuck Tator 914-763-3136 and ask him. But he'll tell you the story of the guy that did the same thing to his valve covers and destroyed his engine.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent 2 or three hours making blanking plates to cover up all holes to stop and shot or powder coat getting in.....

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be very careful on this one. I had my intake extrude honed and bead blasted, then powdercoated. I cleaned the intake but failed to get some of the particles out. Cost me an engine, wrecked the rings, pistons and crankshaft bearings.
CAll Dan Cragin, he rebuilt the engine and properly cleaned the intake.

Mark Red GTS Cooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man,, that was a old thread you threw the jab at!

New fuel additive,, 1 part Sand, 1 part metal shavings, 2 parts cinder block scrappings, this will not only clean your rings, but it will put pretty groves on the crank, cam, and cylinder wall.

mark

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be very careful on this one. I had my intake extrude honed and bead blasted, then powdercoated. I cleaned the intake but failed to get some of the particles out. Cost me an engine, wrecked the rings, pistons and crankshaft bearings.

And now I have your old intake and it looks great!!
No problems, but when I got my valvecovers powdercoated, there was 1/4 pound of crap under the baffles. Would I have not cleaned EVERYTHING, I would be doing a motor renovation too...
Thanks RED 93RT!

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy yourself some engine cleaning brushes and go to work on it. Just flushing it with liquid won't cut it here. Mix up some soapy water and scrub that thing down inside and out.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After you have taken the advise of those above, put the items in the dishwasher if they'll fit and let it run. The dishwasher soap will clean aluminum very well. I used that to clean Porsche block halves and corvair parts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456