Beware of the sleepers...

Luetic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get it. I watched it. I see a guy going down the highway, flooring it and passing 2 cars....Were they supposed to racing when he "punched it"? Did you notice the Tahoe on the left? I don't think he's racing.

Reaction score
I agree! This video is B.S. Obviously the viper is not racing, if it was, then that is the fastest racing Tahoe I have ever seen. This is a typical driver that has to floor it 200 feet behind you, pass you up and say that you were racing them. I guess that's the only way they feel better, considering that we're the one's driving the fastest cars made, and they could only dream of driving one.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. I can't believe that all those guys on that board actually thought they were racing. Geesh. I guess you see what you want to see. That was obviously not a race. They were just cruising at highway speeds. Everyone on that Supra board that responded had no clue of that Suburban moving at the same rate of speed in the left lane. I just about laughed my head off.

Come on now. Let's get real. hahaha

Joe Bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perf Norman:

The race was between the Viper & 2 RX7s. The Lexus was filming. The Viper put at least 4-5 cars on the RX7s. The Lexus was coming on very hard at the end when the Viper lifted.

The Lexus would have passed the Viper in short order had the Viper stayed in it--it was FLYING at that point--I was a passenger in the Viper watching him run us down. I can certainly appreciate what the Lexus owner has done with his car--It is Impressive.

-Joe Bob

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you call that cruising at highway speeds? heh, maybe we're watching a different video....

I owned a 3rd gen rx-7 (ran low 11's) for 5 years before my viper, and I can tell you 1000% by the flame shooting and the sound, they were racing... i can hear the rx-7 shift into 4th gear after the lexus had already blown by him...

the race was clearly between the viper and the rx-7's, which were no match at all for the lexus...

Brooks
1996 GTS
http://viper.miamisci.org

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to say that they were racing and that the Viper was slower. Turn up the sound on the video and listen to the cars as the Lexus passes them. The SUV clears out just as they punch it and is never seen again. The white lane markers start passing by until they are almost a blur. It definitely doesn't seem that they are going 160 mph, but who knows.

The Lexus is supposedly putting 765 hp to the rear wheels. Sorry gang, but there are few Vipers that can pull that. Also realize that they were already moving, so it would take no time at all to spool up the turbos on the Lexus. Now, in listening to the the video itself, I was not impressed with the sound that car makes. The roar of a V-10 sounds a lot better than a **** whacker with a big muffler. But you can't argue with the horsepower this guy is turning out.
You must be registered for see images

A final note: I looked at several other forums (Supra, Mustang, Camaro, etc.) and read the replies to this video. Guess what? Just about EVERY reply expressed disbelief that the Viper could get pulled like this. Very few even acknowledged the "11 second" RX-7s. While we can grit our teeth that such a killing took place (and I firmly believe it did), there is NO denying the respect the Viper has earned from every other car owner out there. Even if you don't have 765 rwhp, that should make you feel good, as it did for me. If not, I leave you with this quote from another Honda owner when he talked about this video and its relation to the Viper:

1. If you're going fast enough on public highways where a Venom 500 is floored, you're an idiot.

2. Show me some video of your heavy Toyota taking a turn, then I'll be impressed.

3. If dragging is all you care about, how do you feel knowing that a $5000 '70s GM clunker can destroy you no matter how much garbage you put in your car?

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went back and viewed it again. The vehicle in the left lane, the far left lane is that rx7. I thought it was another sport ute. Wow, I guess I am going to get me a lexus. Impressive!

N E one want to buy a low mileage, not so fast 98 GTS? hahaha LOL Geesh.

sc300tt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, glad you enjoyed the video.

Luetic, John, Mark O, etc. Sorry buds. The video is legit.

Albert, I hope we can meet up sometimes when I make it to Houston. I heard you, John Hennessey and Mark Hiedecker met up with my friend Peter B, Nick, etc this weekend. Sounded like a fun time. I actually went to high school with Mark a number of years ago at Yoakum. Pretty small world, huh?

Brooks, we actually started around 40mph or so, but the rest of your details are pretty much on the money. Thanks for the support.

Joe Bob, Thanks. Maybe one day I can see that Twin Turbo of yours!

Chris, no weedwacker here! Hear my car in person and I'm sure you'd change your opinion about it. As for the three points:

1) Yes, actually I am an idiot. That's weird that you'd know that, who have you been talking too?

2) Obviously it's not a Viper in terms of handling, but it's capable of holding it's own for a 3700lb car, I assure you.

3) Dragging is not all I care about or I wouldn't have bought a 3700lb luxury car with an IRS and 6spd. This IS my daily driver. But, I'll race ANY $5000 GM klunker for a $100,000. Money equals speed. I can find alot of "garbage" for that kind of money.

Norman, glad you saw the light. No need to sell your car though. Just add a little blue bottle.

For the record. I am friends with the Venon 500 owner and he has a couple of car that are faster than that one. This video was not meant to prove anything or degrade any car. It's simply enjoyable to watch. I love vipers and would love to add one to my collection, but I'd probably have to force some air down it's throat too.

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just goes to show..
"you dont know what your up against unless you have been under the hood" KILLER VIDEO! For the Vipers, John has a good package for the power hungry! look here >>>
www.lingenfelter.com/packages/viper510ci.htm

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Taproot on November 06, 2000 at 01:54</font>

Reaction score
Hmmmm, maybe you should compare apples to apples and not apples to lemmons...Give Roy from TNT a call and run that TT against one of Roy's cars, I assure you you will be history real fast...Johnny...

Luetic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sc300tt,
So you're saying you'll race any old GM clunker for $100,000? You know it only costs @ $15,000 to make a 9sec car. That could be an expensive race for you.

sc300tt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taproot, thanks.

FL Johnny, REALLY???!! Gosh, you sure told me!! Geez, I thought I was THE fastest car out there. That just doesn't seem possible that someone could be faster. Dang. After all this smack talking I was doing about how I could beat any modified Viper. **Kaboom** (The sound of Clint coming crashing to earth and his inflated head exploding) Also, I would have used "compare apples to oranges". Refering to a Venon 500 as a "lemon", or "lemmon" as you put it, is probably not the image you were looking for.

Luetic, it may only cost $15000 to make a 9 sec car, but Chris said $5000. And for $100,000 I will be in the 8's I assure you.

Norman, I was going to find out what it runs this saturday with my ZR1 friends who invited me to their Texas meet. Unfortunately, Texas now thinks it has a monsoon season. My previous best was 12.7@116mph, but that was 300 hp ago on street tires. I am projecting somewhere around 10.8@135mph, but I should find out for sure this weekend at the import event in Ennis.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott,

I can appreciate your efforts and what you have done to make your car that stout. Lord knows it takes a lot of cash and ingenuity to make a car run like that. Almost like inventing the wheel all on your own. Please remember that this IS a Viper forum and people will get a little bent out of shape. Don't take it personally.

I sent you a personal email.

Thanks for sharing your car with us. Love what you have done to your Lexus.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sc300tt:
Chris, no weedwacker here! Hear my car in person and I'm sure you'd change your opinion about it. As for the three points:

1) Yes, actually I am an idiot. That's weird that you'd know that, who have you been talking too?

2) Obviously it's not a Viper in terms of handling, but it's capable of holding it's own for a 3700lb car, I assure you.

3) Dragging is not all I care about or I wouldn't have bought a 3700lb luxury car with an IRS and 6spd. This IS my daily driver. But, I'll race ANY $5000 GM klunker for a $100,000. Money equals speed. I can find alot of "garbage" for that kind of money.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to worry Clint, I had to find SOMETHING I didn't like about it (the sound) or I would have been drummed out of the Viper Club!
Seriously, the sound from the cockpit sounded kinda "light" as compared to the roar of a V-10. Of course, you are talking about a guy who also likes to stand by the fence at NASCAR events without any earplugs. What I DID like was when you passed the Viper and (I think) decelerated. It sounded like thunder and was pretty cool (you probably saw my similar response on another forum).

As to the three points, they were quoted from someone else. The last two are often heard on this board (many of us are just as guilty as you on the first point). The other point that somebody here will undoubtedly make is that the Lexus simply won't turn heads like the Viper does. Of course, in a race, that makes it even more fun for you...

GREAT car!

Reaction score
Yes but did you all notice that the Viper started braking right after the Lexus in so called Toyota clothing got up beside of him. Go HOME Rice Boys!!!!

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason did you notice that the Lexus was just about ready to blow past the Viper before he hit the brakes? You can hear the Viper shift just as the Lexus gets up behind him and you can tell by the revs that he has his foot in it big time. It's time to face the facts; that's one fast SC300.
Do I like to hear about any Viper getting beat? Hell no! But you have to give him some props, he earned it. Hey Clint, did you do that work yourself?

sc300tt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Norman, thanks. I know this is your home turf, which is why I never posted the video, rather just posting to dispell some conjecture that the video is anything but legit. And honestly, I purchased the car used and the total project cost is around what you'd pay for a 2000 SC.

Chris, thanks, but trust me, the audio on that video is deceiving. My car would actually drown out the Viper if it was filmed from outside the car. I had my cutout open, which makes a frighteningly harsh scream when under boost. But I'd agree that the exhaust note on the Venon is much more pleasant to listen to.

Albert, sounds like fun. I've been wanting to see your car for a while. Always see you at corvetteforum.

Jason, Chuck has it right on the money. I'm sorry you are so obviously offended by this video. You should try some calisthenics rather than getting so worked up, it's not healthy.

Chuck, the inital engine/tranny swap was done by Powerhouse Racing. That got me to BPU Supra levels (~400rwhp). Then I took everything back out myself and added another 300 hp or so. I worked on it for a number of weeks. The part I am most proud of is the experimental Dual MAF setup that I did. I am the only guy that has done this to a supra motor. All the big power guys move to a speed density setup, but I just had to be different.
You can see some pics of my mods at http://pohler.home.texas.net/pics

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's one Radical SC300! It definitely pulls hard. You can tell from the video they're all on their cars. One Helluva sleeper.

Reaction score
Clint, I didnt know you knew Nick, Peter, etc... I was with them for a while on Saturday night. I hang out with them all the time. Next time your down we should all meet up.

Albert

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[scott....

nice car...yes anyone can add the ol supercharger and yes their car will scream....dont think you'll hit 8 seconds though...i have a friend with a supercharger on a Viper and he runs 10 sec. flat....dont think you would win their.....but really the Viper is a road course car.....and their the turbos are useless...

With all that said....nice car....never doubt enginewity...lol<u>Text</u>

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: My .002 cents which are worth an Infinite amount...

This sc300tt guy is lame. He consistenly video tapes kills
of low class machines and has finally worked out a modification
to his ugly Lexus that can beat a Viper with an out-dated mod.

If you don't believe me, check out all his videos at www.texasracingscene.com
and see how lame this guy is.

Sc300tt sounds like a guy in his early 20's. So getting the
chicks would be probably one of his big priorities -- which
a Viper can do INFINITELY BETTER then a Lexus. No car compares
to a Viper on that. So what are you going to do next? Buy
a "Viper body kit" modification?

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: My .002 cents which are worth an Infinite amount...

This sc300tt guy is lame. He consistenly video tapes kills
of low class machines and has finally worked out a modification
to his ugly Lexus that can beat a Viper with an out-dated mod.

If you don't believe me, check out all his videos at www.texasracingscene.com
and see how lame this guy is.

Sc300tt sounds like a guy in his early 20's. So getting the
chicks would be probably one of his big priorities -- which
a Viper can do INFINITELY BETTER then a Lexus. No car compares
to a Viper on that. So what are you going to do next? Buy
a "Viper body kit" modification?

Reaction score
From watching the video several times,I feel that it is difficult to state if they were racing or not.I do agree that after the sleeper car passes the SUV he starts to really pick up speed and it takes him 4 gears to finally pass it.But I dont know if the Viper was aware of what was coming up behind him.He pulls to the right to just get out of the way.Someone noted that when the sleeper car passed him the viper brake light came on.That is true but we dont know if he applied the brake after possibly lifting on the gas 10-20 seconds previously.It was an interestig video but many different interpretations are possible.

sc300tt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike H, thanks for the compliment, but I didn't use a supercharger, it's a turbo car, but if you think anyone can just "add the ol supercharger and yes their car will scream" you have obiviously never modified a car, much less a car with no readily available performance parts. Also, if you feel turbos are useless on a road course, you should be a consultant for CART as they appear to be on the wrong track, no pun intended.

V|per, since you posted twice does that mean your input is worth 0.004 cents which by the way is very appropriate since most peoples opinions are worth 2 cents or $0.02.
Since when is a Venon 500 outdated? Does that mean it no longer makes 500hp? I apologize for being so "lame" as you so eloquently put it. I am older than you guessed but if getting "chicks" was my objective, i.e. my car is my penis, I would have just kept my SC300 stock and maybe put some chrome wheels on it. I don't know if you noticed this or not, but most "chicks" that you can pick up by having a cool car, don't know or care much about cars, just how much they cost. But I'd definately agree that a viper will definately turn more heads. There, do you feel better about yourself now that I've said that? You sounded like you need some affirmation.

Venom 700, did you read the post earlier in this thread from someone that was actually RIDING in the viper?

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heh, well... since this thread isn't dead yet.... I'll add one more post...

not that this will make any viper owners feel any better....

BUT, A personal friend of mine with his 3rd gen RX-7 raced Clint yesterday, maybe the day before.....

his RX-7 took the Lexus by at least 4-5 car legnths from 40 - 140 MPH or so.......

I wonder if this video will make it on the internet also????

Brooks
1996 GTS

sc300tt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy and Cornfish, thanks for the kind words.

Brooks, yes, I drove up to Dallas and raced Steve Kan's low 10 sec RX7, but was having problems with my ignition breaking up under 2 bar and NOS. We stopped once and I swapped ignitors, but it didn't help. I raced him anyways since he pulled his car off the trailer just to race me. He got the jump on me and pretty much kept pulling. We are gonna run again fairly soon as soon as I get my ignition issues resolved. The next video will be posted. It should be a really good race. He car is definately quick, but something that runs 10.4@136mph should be!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave