[BIG TRACK EVENT] Watkins Glen May 20/21

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be leaving from NYC on Sun PM and meet the guys for dinner. I'll be driving with 4 other cars. The trip is about 3 hours. The hotels are very cheap and you can bring your wife since there is wine tasting, hiking, antique shopping. Don't forget the drive on the historic Watkins Glen. This is the best track in NE since it is 3.5 miles long also the verts can go on the track plus you can have a passenger when you are OK'ed. If you had to go to one event, this one would be it. Please go to the site mentioned bellow for more info or contact Todd. if you want to drive up with me let me know.

TracQuest's next East Coast DE event will be at Watkins Glen on Monday-Tuesday, May 20-21. As with all East Coast events, TracQuest will be putting on the Watkins Glen event in conjunction with Rennlist, the best auto enthusiast site on the Internet. You will find an event write-up and entry form in Word format attached. If you have any problem opening these documents, they're also up on the TracQuest web site at www.tracquest.com

All types of cars attend TracQuest events. Porsches, Ferraris, BMW's, Audis, Corvettes, Vipers, RX-7's, Miatas, NSX's, Nissans, Jaguars, Subarus - all are welcome. No special safety equipment other than a helmet is required, and any auto racing or motorcycle helmet (with the exception of Harley-type half-helmets) will do. Convertibles do not need roll bars. Further, non-participant passengers (friends, spouses,
etc.) are allowed, although novice students must be approved by an instructor to go out alone and/or take passengers.

Those who were at the TracQuest/Rennlist Watkins Glen event last year or the TracQuest/Rennlist/ABC Road Atlanta event in January know that these events are very special. After safety, the focus is on tons of high quality, low traffic track time with awesome instruction. Since TracQuest pulls the best instructors from many different clubs like PCA, BMWCCA, QCUSA, SCCA etc, TracQuest has one of the best instructor groups you'll find anywhere. TracQuest's passing rules, which vary in each of TracQuest's three run groups, are more liberal than the passing rules at many club events, providing for better traffic flow with less congestion. Because TracQuest limits the size of these events, they may cost a bit more than some clubs' events, but everyone finds that the more intimate environment, with a lot more track time (sometimes as much as 6 to 8 hours over the course of a two day event!), progressive passing rules and great instruction is more than worth any extra cost. Additionally, TracQuest always provides gourmet food at the track, so no one needs to bring his/her own provisions.

If you have any questions about this event, please feel free to ask. If you would like to sign up, just fax or mail your entry form with appropriate payment. Please note that there will be a great banquet at the Glen Club on Monday, May 20, for which tickets are sold at TracQuest/Rennlist's cost. While this banquet is optional, it is anticipated that most of the participants and instructors will attend, so we hope that you will join us too.

We look forward to seeing you at the track!

Todd Serota
[email protected] (high speed driver education) [email protected] (wine business) [email protected] (law firm and home) http://www.tracquest.com (TracQuest web site) http://www.tracquest.com/deboard (TracQuest message board) http://www.vinoquest.com (VinoQuest web site)

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time there were no Vipers. It looks like I'll be the only one this time
crying.gif

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go but I signed up for the Viper Days event in Iowa the previous weekend and will not get back to NY in time.

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silver Touch:
I will be going with a friend that has a Z06. We are from L.I. and will be leaving on Sunday as well. I would love to see more vipers there. Let me know if you want to meet up. Where? and When?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sent you IM.

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by speedpup:
Possiblity I may go

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know if you want to drive up. I think that Watkins geln is the best track in NE

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More info

Unlike most car club events, which are competitive and require 5 point harnesses, fire extinguishers and often roll bars, this is a non competitive event, so you don’t need any special equipment for your car – just a helmet, which you should try to obtain for yourself because rentals will not be available (a few loaners will be available, but there aren’t many). Instruction is provided by experienced Club and SCCA racers/instructors. The general format for Monday is as follows:

7:00 a.m. - Arrive and register coffee and Continental breakfast provided.
8:00 a.m. Drivers meeting (mandatory for ALL participants and instructors).
9:00 a.m. - First instructor session during last ½ hour of drivers meeting, so instructors
unfamiliar with the track can familiarize themselves with WGI.
9:30 a.m. “Ducks in a Row” for participants new to the track – Instructors drive students’ cars
at slow speed on the correct line, with others in small group (3 cars or less) following.
Instructor takes a turn driving each car in group.
10:00 a.m. - Classroom session for Slow Group while Medium group is on track.
10:00 a.m. - Alternate Slow, Medium and Fast/Instructor group ½ hour open track sessions,
- 4:30 p.m. with strict rules re passing in Slow group, less strict in Medium group, open
passing in Fast/Instructor group. Lunch is provided, along with drinks all day.
7:00 p.m. - Awesome banquet (optional) at The Glen Club, located at the track.

On Tuesday morning, open lapping will start at 8:30 a.m., as everyone will already be familiar with the track, allowing for even more track time. If the event isn’t full, at some point during the event cars will be allowed to run in multiple run groups, providing more track time than you can likely use.

In addition to driving in your own sessions, both with and without instructors, you can ride with the instructors in our cars at speed, which is both very instructive, and, quite frankly, a blast! Non-participant passengers over the age of 16 are permitted at this event, so bring your spouse and/or friends if they would like to see what it’s like to ride around Watkins Glen. All kinds of cars come to these events, including Porsches, Ferraris, Audis, Vipers, NSX’s, BMW’s, RX 7’s, Subarus, Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Mercedes, Jaguars and others. Professional corner workers and safety and course control personnel will help to assure a safe and fun event for everyone.

If you are an experienced driver and have already been to WGI, you can take advantage of over 6 hours of anticipated high quality, low traffic track time over both days. You won’t do the ducks in a row exercise on the first day if you’ve been to WGI before, although you do have to be there for the main drivers meeting at 8:00 a.m.

Event headquarters for this event will be the Longhouse Lodge Motel, where we stayed last year. The address is 3625 State Route 14, Watkins Glen, New York 14891, and the phone number is (607) 535-2565. Room rates vary from $69 to $89 per night in the motel, and are $119 per night in the wonderful Manor, just up the hill. When you call to make a reservation, tell them you’re with the TracQuest group going to Watkins Glen Int’l. The TracQuest room block will only be held until April 19th, so make your reservation early.

The discounted early entry fee for this event is $395 for both days or $225 for one day if your entry form is postmarked by April 30th, 2002, slightly more if later. Rennlist members receive a discount! This price does not include a ticket to the lavish banquet at The Glen Club on Monday night, which is being sold at TracQuest/Rennlist’s cost of $65 each. Although attendance at the banquet is optional, we recommend that you come. Most of the people attending the event should be there, so it will be a great chance to review Monday’s events at the track with your fellow attendees and get even more psyched for Tuesday!

To register, fill out the entry form that was emailed to you with this write-up and follow the directions included on it. TracQuest takes credit cards (Visa and Mastercard only, at the moment) and expects that shortly, you’ll be able to register completely on the TracQuest web site.

For detailed information about TracQuest, preparing for TracQuest’s DE events and how they work, visit the TracQuest web site at www.tracquest.com. For discussion about anything and everything having to do with DE events, and preparing your car for them, visit TracQuest’s message board at www.tracquest.com/deboard or via a link on the main web site. For more information about Rennlist, visit Rennlist’s web site at www.rennlist.com. Anyone desiring more info should or contact Todd Serota: (310) 316-4929 or [email protected]. TracQuest and Rennlist both hope to see you out there!

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Myself with a 98 silver GTS and a friend with a 99 vette nicely modified are getting together and would liek to koin you guys Sunday for the ride out maybe we could meet in Newburgh and head out I-84,let me know.

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GONABITE:
Myself with a 98 silver GTS and a friend with a 99 vette nicely modified are getting together and would liek to koin you guys Sunday for the ride out maybe we could meet in Newburgh and head out I-84,let me know.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got IM

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE. We are leaving at 11AM and have 2 Vipers and 4 Corvettes going from NY. If you are going from NY/NJ/CT meet us at Exit 12 off 287/87 at 11AM on Sun 19th. bring your walkie-talkie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth