Brake caliper (piston) spreader?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen and used those cheapo thumbscrew types but there must be a better answer, hopefully one specific to Brembo's. Ideally all four pistons spread in one hand motion, like squeezing pliers. Sheesh, can't be that hard. So what are you guys using???

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a really cool tool for doing this, it looks like a pair of pad backs on long arms, it pushes all the pistons back in with one motion.
Let me see if I can find it.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've always had good luck with my clamps, but that definitely looks better :)

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just use an old brake pad and a c-clamp with a piece of rubber on the clamp side. It's cheap and works well.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just use an old brake pad and a c-clamp with a piece of rubber on the clamp side. It's cheap and works well.

Piece of rubber? I've been using just a c-clamp against the old pad and it works just fine...there's never any scratching of the caliper. Ultra cheap, and effective.

OP
OP
C

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A C-clamp only compresses one side. With the return hose open, the opposing pistons will simply push out. That's why I was looking for something a little more efficient. The design mentioned above looks good, but WAY expensive. There's a million tools available, none of them look really good except the super expensive ones. I've tried the screw in kinds (same problem, plus poor access) and the C-clamp route (no place to clamp on, slips off easily, and doesn't work that well anyway).

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were to sell what I am about to describe I could probably make a few bucks. I cant find them right now so no pics, but most of us a a pretty good imagination.

Make two wooden wedges and insert one from the top and one from the bottom. gently tap them together alternating from top to bottom. where the two wedges "pass" each other is darn near parallel. All 4 pistons retract equally and you have saved alot of bucks. look at like the process to shim house door frames. As hillbilly or "Red Green" as it sounds, it works well.

thants my 2 cents worth.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Plastic wedges used to remove door and body panels work great, just stick them under the pads and tap them down till the pistons are fully back.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dave,

I have one of those that I bought from Snap On Tools. Yes, it works very well.

They are thin enough to fit between the rotor and the piston and expand quickly.

Dan

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also use a thin piece of wood and channel lock pliers. Open 1 side enough to insert the new pad and then do the other. No need to do both simultaneously, and only forcing one in fully at a time the fluid return is less with less chance for overfilling the master cyclinder. Only takes a few seconds to compress the open side and slide in the pad.