brake pad question..

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i took the '03 Viper in for an oil change and the tech mentioned that I have 8mm left on the front pads..and the rears. This seems strange to have the same left on both front & rear....
My question though is when do they need to be replaced? How many mm is the minimum for safe operation? At speed of course!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my '01 GTS the factory published wear limit is 2.5 mm. Can't imagine that the Gen 3 is much different, let alone I use Gen 3 brakes now and will continue to use that spec.

Reaction score
You can run a pad all the way down if you drive normally. What you need to realize is that like everything, the performance of wear items decrease with wear. The main change will be braking consistency as the pads wear. The decreasing pad material will increase the heat *********** to the backing plates and into the caliper. This of course will super heat your fluid shortening its life and probably speed the deterioration of caliper dust seals.

Also as the pads loose heat sinking capability you run a better chance of them overheating and crumbling apart prematurely, which on a track car or aggressively driven street car could cost more than pads are worth.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I upgraded to 14" lightweight rotors and Gen 3 Brembos I also bought a full set of Ceramic EBC RED pads from JonB last year. The rear pads were about 50% and friction material had cracked as well as unglued from the metal backing plate. Suggest that hard aggressive braking uses get replaced often as new pads are cheap insurance as M Jorgensen posted. These pads were cheap and have been working perfectly for 25,000 miles so far.

When I brouhgt home the 2000 ACR I upgraded the front to drilled/slotted lightweight rotors and again I bought new EBC Reds from JonB to keep the chromed wheels clean and keep brake balance. I bought the ACR to resell(in classifieds), but also feel that it's important to balance the car and I also feel that the Ceramic pads are a better pad for the increased power of the Paxton and Nitrous.

Ted

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just swapped mine out at 51k miles and there was plenty of pad left. I also bled with ate super blue. Thes brembo's are so easy to work with, great caliper and such a easy pad swap. Nothing like my ZO6, which can be a pain in the ass with all the padlets. The viper brakes are much better in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456