Brake upgrade...which one?

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am consdering upgrading my brake system to either Stoptech or the SRT-10 brake conversion offered by Valaya racing. Anyone have any suggestions on which is the better setup and why? Assume price is equal.

OP
OP
F

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT's, hands down :usa: same as on the Comp Cpe. And that's a fact Jack :cool:

That's the way I'm leaning at the moment. Anyone have any reasons to get the stoptechs instead?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know the cost of the SRT10's but I believe they're Brembos..I have the Stoptech 4 wheel big Brake kit and am very happy with its performance and asthetics..

OP
OP
F

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know the cost of the SRT10's but I believe they're Brembos..I have the Stoptech 4 wheel big Brake kit and am very happy with its performance and asthetics..

The price difference between the two systems is negligible from what I last heard.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what are the specs on the piston type and size on the srt10 and the rotors..

here are the specs from stoptech direct..
StopTech four wheel Big Brake Upgrade for the 2001-2002 Dodge Viper. The kit includes ST-40 4-piston front calipers painted red, black, or silver, ST-40 4-piston rear calipers painted red, black, or silver, 7075-T6 billet aluminum caliper mounting brackets, 332x32mm slotted, floating, front AeroRotors, 328x28mm slotted, floating, rear AeroRotors, 7075-T6 billet aluminum AeroHats with directional standoffs, StopTech SS (DOT compliant) front and rear brake lines, and Axxis Ultimate front and rear brake pads. Requires 17 inch or larger wheels, however not all 17 inch wheels will fit. Please check the wheel fitment chart for your car. Options: Drilled rotors - $100 per pair; Yellow or blue paint - $200 per pair of calipers and 30 day lead time.

$5395.00 - Item No. 83-262-

OP
OP
F

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a long post about 2 months ago with the title, 'GTS with Comp Coupe' or something. The cost is about $4.5K I think. Close to the discount on stoptechs.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ST-40 piston doesnt tell you anything about the spec of the brake caliper...or kit...I should know. I have a bunch of St-40 calipers, some with 38mm, 40mm and even 46mm pistons.

Another thing you need to keep in mind: Stoptech may in the future stop supporting the consumables for your kit! ie: rotors. Also, the stoptech rotor is a lot more expensive than the stock srt rotor.

The piston spec for typical 4wheel is something like 42/38mm staggered front, 32/28mm rear. I THINK.

WHAT WOULD BE NICE IS SOME HARD DATA/FEEDBACK on the SRT Conversion. There has been none that I have seen.

It is the off-season, and I do need to start thinking of upgrades :)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notes I've kept to keep track of brake calipers:

The StopTech Viper 4 wheel system is 42/44 in front, 28/28 in rear, presumably with adjustable proportioning valve.

The SRT-10 is 42/40 in front, 42/38 in rear, and with ABS.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

Perhaps you can explain to me why the pistons are made assymetrical in size on a given caliper with multiple pistons?

Is the larger one(s) always on the leading or trailing edge with respect to the direction of rotation of the rotor?

What about with 6 *** calipers like Alcon, I believe?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray, the larger one is on the trailing edge. The reason is that under high temperature conditions ("racing") there is a tremendous amount of gas from the decomposing pad material. The gas between the pad and rotor act like an air hockey table, which certainly doesn't help produce friction needed to slow the car. To compensate, a larger piston is used downstream. I don't have Alcon information, but assume that the 6-piston calipers, if staggered, are also larger on the trailing edge. I would be interested in what the ratio of the three sizes might be.

A conversation with StopTech informed me that manufacturers develop the staggered sizes based on data first, then rounded to the nearest size they can get parts for. Apparently they all only make pistons and seals in even millimeter sizes...

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT's, I'm working on this conversion now :cool: :usa: I'll have 3 options :usa: with NO VIPER TAX ADDED :cool: :usa: :2tu:
After driving a SRT, and no more AX, only high speed road courses, it's time for real brakes like the comp cpe & SRT for the Gen 2 cars(18" only for now) They are the same.Ron is doing my SRT calipers in RaceYellow(he should have by Weds) I'm working now on billet brkt's,spindles, etc to complete conversion straight bolt on, and from 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper than any other Big Brake Kit out there. This will take about 2-3 months to finish(I'm old & have CRS, but this is for real) :usa: :2tu: :D :cool: I'll have all my parts for mockup by mid week.
I'll have mockup pic's as soon as I get my calipers(RaceYellow :cool: RaceYellow stops faster) back from Ron.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOU GO DAVE! What are you doing that Ted May hasnt done yet, or are you working with him....?

Tom, some more interesting info (at least I know you will appreciate it)..Notice how the STOPTECH and Porsche/Brembo kits align:

The Porsche "Big Red" kit used:
Front 4S3 Caliper, 36/44mm with 330mm rotor.
Rear 4S1 Caliper, 28/28mm with 322mm rotor.

An early Viper GT-1 brake setup.
Source? 911 Carrera 4S (1995-98) 911 Turbo (1995-98)

Dont presume the prop valve! I dont think thats standard.

I wonder why they stayed with the street config, and kept the rears so small. It looks to me like Dodge figured out that its not the best balance (as seen with their much-larger rears). Or maybe the ABS allows for that, plus better suspension geometry etc...

PS - Someone mentioned they heard stoptech coming out with a 6piston front/4piston rear...anybody wanna guess whos system it will be based off of?

My guess: the Porsche GT3 Cup.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correction to my post above (don't know how, :confused: I simply must have copied wrong) SRT calipers are

Front 44/40
Rear 42/38

Bugeater caught me. :eek:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit off topic but I noticed the new ZO6 will have individual pads for each piston.

That's 20 brake pads!!

That can't be cheap and probably a PITA to replace after every track weekend for the racers here.