broken fog lamp cover

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Rock went through the drivers side fog lamp. Broke the glass but did not break the light itself, all systems go there. Does anyone know if you can a) change the glass cover without changing the entire assembly, b) if this part is even available, and c) if the bumper needs to come off in order to fix?

Thanks!

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year car? Same thing happened on my 02 GTS and I had to replace the entire assembly. You can change the assy through the lightening hole that is in front on the drivers tire but it is a bit like reading Braille, it's all about the feeling in your hands and very little visual cues. Took me about 90 minutes to do it, hope this helps. Jeff

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common Problem,
You can not just change the glass, you have to get a complete replacement lamp. The lamps are a *** part ( Volkswagen, Audi, Golf) Baz posted this picture of a new one a while back.
You must be registered for see images attach

I believe Chuck Tator has them in stock and i'm sure the other popular Vendors will also have them in stock :)

Searching the *** route might help with the 'Viper Tax' ;)

Some people change out the Gen 2 fog lamps and fit the later Gen3 lamps :)

You do not have to remove the front nose to replace these. You can gain access to the lamp from the inner front wheel arch by removing the large rubber ****, then you have to release that white nylon clip (with a twisting motion) from the outer black plastic lamp holder. then also remove the 3 screws holding the black plastic lamp holder to the nose of the car. The white nylon lamp adjuster has to be fully unscrewed from the thread too. I also undid a few of the front nose bolts underneath the car in the lamp area and by pulling the flexible nose slightly got some of the assembly out that way :)

Hope that helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mutts and Fatboy, thank you so much for the replies and the information. Looks like I'm going with a new assembly here. I'm assuming the connection on the *** part will fit the viper?

Not sure why but my picture and my signature disappeared...car is an 01 RT

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mutts and Fatboy, thank you so much for the replies and the information. Looks like I'm going with a new assembly here. I'm assuming the connection on the *** part will fit the viper?

Not sure why but my picture and my signature disappeared...car is an 01 RT
Yes same connector :) But remember, its only your lense that is cracked, just take the bulb out of your lamp as a spare :)

Have a Great New Year :1up: