Buying a GEN 3 Need some answers:

Keik SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking to purchase a 3rd Gen for about two years now, I am finally about to do so but i have some questions if the forum would be so kind enough to answer them for me. :D

How good is the Gen 3 for Daily driving?

Will upgrading the exhaust help out with the heat? ( i drove a Gen 3 with stock exhaust and it killed me lol 100 degree summer )
is the AC good for long trips in the summer with an upgraded exhaust?

I am looking to purchase a Vert.

Thanks

keik

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting rid of the exhaust cross overs makes a big difference in cabin heat. Also pick up some additional HP, Torque, better sound, and loose some weight.

Corsa works well to reduce any drone caused by the change.

AC works well.

Biggest heat issue I had on my Gen 3 was engine head from the hood vents coming into the cockpit around the outside of the A pillars when running with the top down.

You can also flip up your visors, and at low speeds they direct cool air into the interior with the top down.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going with the Corsa will definitely reduce cabin heat. A DIY job that can be completed in 1/2 a day or less. No AC issues with the Gen 3.

F

FrgMstr

To reiterate what the others have said....

1. Daily driving? Can surely be done, but I am not so sure that is what I would want to do. Surely you will find some opinions going both ways on this. I personally would not buy one for a daily driver.

2. Getting rid of the stocker Gen III exhaust will tremendously help bring down the cockpit heat. Back of seats will be noticeably cooler as well as the side sills.

3. My AC blows VERY COLD...with the top up of course. :) It more than keeps the cockpit cool.

If you DIY the exhaust, once you get the side sills off, which is a HUGE PITA the first time, fix the bolt location issue by doing this (of course you could cut the hole first as well, just be a bit careful):

You must be registered for see images

Once you cut a hole there to allow you access with your 10mm deep socket, pulling the side sills is an easy and quick one man job.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The heat and A/C answers above are correct, and among the most SEARCHABLE repeat-topics on the site.

Important questions - What size are you? [Will you be comfortable?] Can you handle 500+ HP safely, in trafic and weather? Do you have secure parking? Vipers are singular car shows....be able to see your car, or use a cover. Do you have a car for groceries, errands, and bad weather?

Good Luck!

OP
OP
Keik SRT-10

Keik SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting rid of the exhaust cross overs makes a big difference in cabin heat. Also pick up some additional HP, Torque, better sound, and loose some weight.

Corsa works well to reduce any drone caused by the change.

AC works well.

Biggest heat issue I had on my Gen 3 was engine head from the hood vents coming into the cockpit around the outside of the A pillars when running with the top down.

You can also flip up your visors, and at low speeds they direct cool air into the interior with the top down.

Thanks that is exactly what i needed to hear. I drove two Gen 3's and the heat just killed me with the stock exhaust.

Going with the Corsa will definitely reduce cabin heat. A DIY job that can be completed in 1/2 a day or less. No AC issues with the Gen 3.

Thanks!

To reiterate what the others have said....

1. Daily driving? Can surely be done, but I am not so sure that is what I would want to do. Surely you will find some opinions going both ways on this. I personally would not buy one for a daily driver.

2. Getting rid of the stocker Gen III exhaust will tremendously help bring down the cockpit heat. Back of seats will be noticeably cooler as well as the side sills.

3. My AC blows VERY COLD...with the top up of course. :) It more than keeps the cockpit cool.

If you DIY the exhaust, once you get the side sills off, which is a HUGE PITA the first time, fix the bolt location issue by doing this (of course you could cut the hole first as well, just be a bit careful):

You must be registered for see images

Once you cut a hole there to allow you access with your 10mm deep socket, pulling the side sills is an easy and quick one man job.

I will keep that in mind and save this picture... Thanks for the heads up!

The heat and A/C answers above are correct, and among the most SEARCHABLE repeat-topics on the site.

Important questions - What size are you? [Will you be comfortable?] Can you handle 500+ HP safely, in trafic and weather? Do you have secure parking? Vipers are singular car shows....be able to see your car, or use a cover. Do you have a car for groceries, errands, and bad weather?

Good Luck!

Yeah i searched but couldn't find any direct topics.

I am mostly drive by myself tell my kids and fiance get home. But the Viper is mostly going to be a weekend car and ill drive it to work where we have secure parking garages monitored 24/7. as for 500hp yes i can handle it.
Looking into getting another car for Groceries errands etc, i have a 2011 bmw 335i right now but looking to get rid of this and get something cheaper if i go the route of the viper.

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drive mine, however it already has a corsa exhaust installed, but heat doesn't bother me. Made almost 1500 miles on it in the past couple days, love it. I daily drove my gts prior to getting this viper if thats any help

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I daily drive my Gen 3 Vert. Heat isn't bad at all with the top up. Your AC should freeze you out with no problem if its working right.

RULE #1: If its over 90 Degrees out.... TOP stays up.. or you will cook.

As stated before: Removing the crossover pipe and switching to a Gen IV hood will help with the heat.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cabin heat is definitely reduced after removing the crossovers as stated above. You don't necessarily need Corsa to do this. Review the exhaust clip thread for the sound you want and choose a straight pipe design for that brand - whether it is Corsa, Magnaflow, Belanger, B&B - or some other great specialized vendors. Personally I don't think the A/C is great - never has been on Dodges that I've owned. Even after the crossover exhaust removed I find I still need the dial set on full blast to achieve cool. Power wise The Gen III Viper is extremely civil - if, of course, it is driven civil. The suspension is tight and may get a little bothersome for daily driving however. If you live in a winter state you definitely need another vehicle, but I think you basically said the Viper isn't going to be your only vehicle.

OP
OP
Keik SRT-10

Keik SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cabin heat is definitely reduced after removing the crossovers as stated above. You don't necessarily need Corsa to do this. Review the exhaust clip thread for the sound you want and choose a straight pipe design for that brand - whether it is Corsa, Magnaflow, Belanger, B&B - or some other great specialized vendors. Personally I don't think the A/C is great - never has been on Dodges that I've owned. Even after the crossover exhaust removed I find I still need the dial set on full blast to achieve cool. Power wise The Gen III Viper is extremely civil - if, of course, it is driven civil. The suspension is tight and may get a little bothersome for daily driving however. If you live in a winter state you definitely need another vehicle, but I think you basically said the Viper isn't going to be your only vehicle.

Thanks, Yeah i live in Southern California where its always hot lol. We get rain only here no snow.

F

FrgMstr

....Gen IV hood will help with the heat.

Another vote for this! The Gen III hood blows heat directly into the cockpit. The Gen IV type hood eliminates this for all intents and purposes.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drive my 2006 SRT-10..... A/C is very, very comfortable and works so well I often turn it down to the lowest fan setting......................the Gen 3 is a very easy daily driver... now my Gen 1 as a DD.....that was a committment! BTW, I live in Florida and daily drove my Gen 1 in Florida and North Texas.....

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for this! The Gen III hood blows heat directly into the cockpit. The Gen IV type hood eliminates this for all intents and purposes.

I have a custom hood also, so more vents than stock. I guess I would recommend this because my A/C freezes me even with the top off!