Can we have a BS-o-meter for this forum?

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you are in the same boat as me but, I have placed my order and am now anxiously awaiting any <u>real factual</u> information about these cars. So I come here, and I see flames about the styling and conjecture about build schedule, anticipated performance, colors they never produced... yadda yadda yadda. But very little real concrete information- which I and every other SRT/CC purchaser is craving.

WhaddaYaSay Moderators: Can you give us some indicator of what is REAL WRT the SRT and CompCoupe?

Het Tony- can I have a yellow flag (or a vowel) for this?
bounce.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, the official information will come from Dodge PR. This is how they have told us it will be handled. So until it is in an official press release, the only thing you can call it is speculation.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, I'd love some real information, too. But right now, what we know officially from DC falls more in the category of "disinformation".

1. Car will cost &lt; $100K. [We all know that it will be much less than $100K]
2. Car will be 500/500/500. Well, Dodge already said 525 ft-lbs at the LA Auto Show. And everyone seems to think peak power will be more like 525 bhp.
3. Performance = ??? Nothing even by way of disinformation here.

So, we're in the process of a long slow tease here.

BTW, what's wrong with people stating their opinions of what we do know (e.g., styling)? And what's wrong with people speculating in the absence of real information? The point of a forum is for people to exchange their views. All you need is a page on the DC web site with a facts and data sheet to satisfy your needs -- you don't need a forum where people can state their point of view.

That being said, I do agree that the lack of factual information has been frustrating. For example, I would have appreciated some solid price information before being forced to order one, but I guess you can't have everything!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the speculation. It's fun to see whose wrong and whose right when the "official" numbers come out. Somtimes a person will claim to be so right, then look like an A$$ when the real stuff comes out.

Craig

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this speculation is fun... later on, when the car is out, the "I told ya so!" and the "now you eat crow" will be fun when we discover who was right and who was wrong.

Also, since we lack real factual information, what else can we do but speculate? I really would like to see more factual information, but I see it this way. Dodge isn't stringing us along and screwing us by not giving us info. Quite the opposite. They gave us an awesome opportunity to be the first here, and they aren't going to let that impact their rollout schedule just because we took them up on their offer.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final engine performance specs are subject to change right up to the last minute. Something I heard (but cannot comfirm) about the Gen2 GTS ('96) was that although several low VIN cars were built, the emissions certification for the 450hp engine was not approved by EPA and they could not be delivered before Indy. Little things like cam overlap specs and ECU mapping to pass the EPA-standard simulated drive cycle are a painful part of building big, HP-engined sports cars.

OP
OP
T

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I love the conjecture too. Don't get me wrong about that. The problem is that Dodge has put out so little information that I have very little to go on, other than the conjecture bantied about here. Even Dodge cannot answer my questions- hell I have sat on hold through numerous 800 numbers only to be told "Viper- isn't that being discontinued?"

So how about a show schedule Dodge? Publish one please, so that we can all find a show near our homes and go sit in and drool on a likeness of our new snakes? Maybe even talk to somebody at these shows who actually knows about these cars? Booth Bunnies are nice, but please send somebody who knows these cars...

Hey- what kind of stereo goes into these? I bet that isn't subject to emmissions testing. More photos of the interior layout would be nice. What accessories are being offered? Toneau? Trunk Rack? Winter roof? Snow chains?
smile.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stereo question is one I got an answer on. It has a 6 CD changer build right into the unit, so no need for a box in the trunk any more.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I hear BS meter. I have a JS validation web robot that is comparing SRT information with actual TRUE information from the Dodge development database.

You must be registered for see images

There is a 6 second delay just so you know

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the stereo... a 6-disc in dash changer is cool, but they should REALLY get with the times and offer an MP3-compatible player.

Or, failing that, just put some RCA jacks on the back of it, and an "Aux" setting on the head unit, so we can put our own MP3 players into the car.

I *hope* they are retaining the "amp in the trunk" layout of the car. It makes upgrading REALLY easy when you just have to literally drop in new speakers.

I Ben Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Here's some facts from a Dana press release

DANA CORPORATION TO SUPPORT 2003 DODGE VIPER WITH HIGH-PERFORMANCE, ADVANCED TRACTION TECHNOLOGIES

Toledo, Ohio -- Jan 08, 2002 -- Dana Corporation (NYSE: DCN) announced today that it has been selected to supply advanced traction technologies – including a newly designed center section and advanced differential – for DaimlerChrysler’s upcoming 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 to be launched in July 2002.

Dana Chairman and CEO Joe Magliochetti said, “Dana’s presence on this high-performance program further demonstrates our commitment to providing innovative technologies that enhance handling and performance characteristics for our customers’ advanced passenger car and truck platforms.”

John Fernandez, Director of DaimlerChysler’s Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO), said, “We are tremendously excited that Dana has chosen to play such a key role in improving the performance of a car that is recognized as the ultimate American sports car. Our Viper engineering group has spent countless hours working side-by-side with the Dana folks in achieving the optimum performance of the hydra-mechanical Hydra-Lokä differential.”

Added Fernandez, “The Dana Hydra-Lok differential has helped improve handling in high-speed turns and also aided in improving our test track lap times by a full 6.5 seconds, a very significant improvement.”

The Hydra-Lok limited-slip differential is an intelligent axle component providing unparalleled traction and versatility without the use of an advanced traction control systems. It first appeared on the 1999 JeepÃ’ Grand Cherokee sport utility vehicle and revolutionized four-wheel drive as the first and only axle differential to provide “slip-to-grip” performance in virtually any condition.

According to Fernandez, The Dodge Viper SRT-10’s promise of more than 500 horsepower, 500 lb.-ft. of torque, and 505 cubic inches of engine displacement will make it truly unique in its performance specifications. The Viper SRT-10 is expected to achieve some of the highest all-around performance claims ever for a production vehicle.

Mr. Fernandez also noted that the Viper’s 8.3-liter all-aluminum big-block engine drives huge 19-inch rear wheels and anchors a performance package that eschews technical gimmickry in favor of traditional engineering virtues. In creating the next chapter of Dodge Viper, the mission was to enhance its unfiltered blend of performance. Viper retains a traditional front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout with six-speed manual transmission. The commitment was made early on to use a racing-style chassis including fully independent four-wheel suspension, huge tires and wheels for maximum grip and massive brakes for stopping power. A new version of the Viper’s four-wheel anti-lock disc brake system, originally introduced for the 2001 model year, will be enhanced on this next-generation car.

The Dodge Viper SRT-10 was debuted to the public at the 2001 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Dana has a proud heritage of developing industry-standard torque management systems. Along with the Hydra-Lokä, recent product developments include the Dual Advantageä dual disconnect system, and the TXTä limited-slip differential.

Dana’s Traction Technologies Group consists of 25 manufacturing, assembly, and research facilities in 16 countries. The group encompasses a wide variety of traction-oriented solutions – from individual components to the gearless technologies of tomorrow. Its operations span six continents and are strategically located to efficiently address the evolving demands of light-vehicle OEMs.

Dana Corporation is one of the world’s largest suppliers of components, modules and complete systems to global vehicle manufacturers and their related aftermarkets. Founded in 1904 and based in Toledo, Ohio, the company operates some 300 major facilities in 34 countries and employs approximately 72,000 people. The company reported sales of $12.3 billion in 2000. Dana's Internet address is www.dana.com.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth