Can you slot an OEM rotor?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a set of surplus OEM front rotors Jon B. , for my SRT-10.
My question is, can they be slotted like the Stop-Tech our Euro-Tech rotors? And what kind of things are there to watch out for?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If slotted rotors are factory cast like drilled rotors, then I'd suggest you shouldn't do it. Drilling and slotting would weaken the rotors and cause them to crack prematurely.

OP
OP
G

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that fully drilled rotors are not advised for the track, due to the cracking around the holes. I thought that's why they went with slotted for the track. Aren't the discs on the Stop-Tech and Eurotech two piece rotors cast iron as well?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quality rotors are cast with holes and slots at the factory, not cast and then drilled. Makes a significant difference.

OP
OP
G

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quality rotors are cast with holes and slots at the factory, not cast and then drilled. Makes a significant difference.

Yeah I can see that, the interior leading edges would be much less sharp cast in.
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait until I burn through these, which should'nt be too long!:D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just got a set of surplus OEM front rotors Jon B. , for my SRT-10.
My question is, can they be slotted like the Stop-Tech our Euro-Tech rotors? And what kind of things are there to watch out for?

At $99/pair for the rotors, you dont have $$ at risk, but if the slots are cut too deeply (or too many) in these OE cast rotors, you will indeed weaken it. Those risks are worse than the $.

That said, if you keep a watchful eye on your rotors after every session, they COULD be slotted a few mm... lots of grassroots race teams do this, totally at their own risk.

But machined slots will NOT make them a Stop-tech 2pc rotor!

OP
OP
G

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Jon B you are right, they will not be 2 piece rotors. However slots are slots, if they function properly and don't weaken the rotor too much. Then why not?