Canadian Auto Insurance

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all:

If someone were to move to Canada on a semi-permanent basis, what companies do Canadians use for their/your auto insurance needs.

What would the costs be for a typical car? Is it more or less expensive that insurance in the US? Is there anything special about driving or auto insurance in Canada that a US citizen should know going in? Thanks in advance....

Plaw

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An average vehicle is probably in the $800-1200 range per year for full insurance. The srt8 jeep costs us just under $1000 CDN and the viper is around $500 but that is on a different plan stating that it's not a daily driver.
One of the larger companies used is ING but there are many choices. I think it is very similar to the U.S.

OP
OP
P

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the above. It is interesting, because I would have thought it would have been cheaper due to the provincial run health care system. Medical insurance in the US can cause the overall rate to fluctuate greatly.

Anybody else with alternatives to ING and their experiences?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on which province you are moving to. Some of them have a provincial run system and some do not, the cheapest I could find there was a company called The CoOperators, like everywhere else it depends on the car and your driving record. My experience is that it cost significantly less than where I am in California, compared to New Jersey, it is anybodies guess

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try hooking up with CAA... They seem to be pretty good... Other than my Fiat, which is under antique Insurance, CAA was the cheapest for my Viper and my other cars....Don't waste your time with State Farm or Allstate......MAD Expensive.......

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Cambridge (part of the tri cities) and I use a company called Gore Mutual when the car is on the road it costs around $95 per month and when it is stored it costs around $20 per month. Best to go to a broker as they deal with several different Insurance companies.

Stew

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456