"Canadian Vipers"....questions....

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
\"Canadian Vipers\"....questions....

A friend is considering the purchase of a 2000 RT/10 from Canada (Viper is still there). Are there any significant differences in these cars (other than possibly temp gauge in Celsius, speedo in Km.)...and are there any special needs to consider upon importation or questions of legality in 50 states. Thanks in advance.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Canadian Vipers\"....questions....

I have a '94 RT/10 that was owned by someone in Canada. The only differences I have noticed are that the temperature gauge is in Celsius and the seat belts are pulled from the center of the car (next to the speakers). The speedo is in MPH. I have had no problems with the car and would not hesitate to purchase another "Canadian Viper". Good luck.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve-Indy:
A friend is considering the purchase of a 2000 RT/10 from Canada (Viper is still there). Are there any significant differences in these cars (other than possibly temp gauge in Celsius, speedo in Km.)...and are there any special needs to consider upon importation or questions of legality in 50 states. Thanks in advance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought my '94 in Canada and I live in Canada so nothing needed changing but the guy I bought it from had an offer from the US and had looked into what needed to change for import/export.

I think you pretty much covered it in it mostly being a gauge issue. Legally I don't think you have to change the temperature gauge but you do have to change the speedometer. I think the only other thing was dependant on which state you imported it into and that had to do with emissions. I believe Canada has emission standards that are as tough as or tougher than all states but I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, and you have to remove all the Celine Dion, Alanis Morrisette and old Bryan Adams CD's from the glove box!

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Guys. I'll pass info along, and watch for updates.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had a 97 GTS with the gold package,bought from Promacsystems.com(they still have a few).Gauges, and daytime driving lights(cool).Loved the car and sold it to a now friend in michigan.Saved a bunch of cash,but getting it here and paperwork was not cool.Last year I said @#$%#$ and bought a 99R/T,in N/C.
You must be registered for see images

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also imported a Canadian '94. Emissions are the same, seatbelts must be moved to inside the door, cost about $500 for import/export and about $600 for parts to do the seatbelt. A Chrysler dealer had to do the conversion (don't allow FBN companies) and then about 10 days in impound before "conditional release." Eventually you'll get the US DOT and EPA letters saying it's legal for US - save those for future buyers.

Later models have different FMVSS occupant protection requirements that were the same in Canada and US, so no seatbelt or airbag changes were needed, but you still need the DOT and EPA paperwork. I'd say that to add the $500 fee and the extra waiting is all you need on the 2000.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Steve,
I'll be at the NJ VCA zone event and hope to finally compete in an autocross event against other Vipers. But there's a drag strip right across the parking lot, so.... maybe try that, too.
I'll be there Friday - you?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Speaking of the NE Zone event! What is everyone waiting for! Get your registrations in TODAY! The event is going to be awesome! If there is any questions please feel free to call me at 732-531-4600 (days) or 732-625-0915 (eves)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth