Carbon ceramic brakes for the Gen V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I took the Ron Fellows driving school at Spring Mountain Raceway. Although I had tracked before, I wanted to up my skill level before taking my Gen V on the track, so I enrolled in the ZR1 class because of it's similar weight, HP, and track performance as a Gen V Viper. The school also uses Z06's and Grand Sports which share the track with the ZR1s during the same sessions. Exceptional school, I was blown away at how much fun I had and how much I learned. But I'll post about that in another thread. I was impressed with the ZR1's carbon ceramic brakes.

I picked the brain of the lead instructor about carbon ceramic brakes Vs. steel. He is a huge fan of the carbon ceramic brakes. I got the impression that CCBs are the way to go for cars that see frequent track duty. All of the school's ZR1s have them, but the Z06s and Grand Sports have steel disks. He said that the pads last for about 6,000 miles on the ZR1s (he was guessing), but the pads for the steel-braked Corvettes wore out much quicker. He said with a driver that's heavy on the steel brakes, someone that's turning decently fast times but isn't very smooth, the pads may only last a weekend (smooth, fast drivers will make them last a lot longer). When they do brakes on the carbon ceramics, they just replace the pads. He's never had to replace a carbon rotor, and of course you don't need to resurface them. They don't warp, they just plain work, and work well.

A big advantage of the carbon ceramic brakes: they give very consistent stopping torque, hot or cold, on the street or track. You don't need a track pad and a street pad, like you do if you want top track performance out of steel disk brakes. CCBs don't fade. They just work well, all the time. They don't squeak or have low torque when cold, like steel brakes' track pads.

They've never damaged a carbon rotor in the school. And they are typically running about 6 ZR1s on the track, 5 days a week, plus about 10 other Corvettes. They had one rotor that was knicked by the dealer when one of the ZR1s was new, because the tech wasn't careful when removing/replacing the wheel. He didn't see any downside to the carbon ceramic, other than the initial cost.

They are light, although SRT would have to go to 19" wheels on the front, to clear the big Brembo CCBs, assuming it would use the same ones as on the Corvette (I believe most street cars using CCBs are this same Brembo model, but I'm unsure). This is probably the biggest challenge to integrating them in the Viper, massaging everything to fit around a larger wheel, including using different tires, clearances in the wheel housing, Etc.

I have very few suggestions for SRT on improving the Gen V Viper, but making carbon ceramic brakes an option makes sense to me. I would rather have SRT put some R&D dollars into a carbon ceramic brake option rather than engine development for example, seems like a no-brainer. 640 HP is plenty. The CCB option would be costly, but that is one I would pay for in a heartbeat. I think CCBs should be on the ACR, and should eventually end up as an option for the other Viper models.

I'd like to hear from the experienced track rats to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not an experience track rat. I took the ZR1 course a few months after getting my ZR1. I also drove the ZR1 in normal driving for almost three years. I wasn't that impressed with the brakes at least for normal driving. I'm sure for the track they are superior to the steel disks though.

Last edited:

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprised and disappointed that carbon ceramic rotors and pads were not included as part of the track pack. Don't forget the added benefit of the carbon rotor being a lot lighter than the steel counterpart. Seems like it would be a no-brainer to shave off a few extra lbs of unsprung weight while also improving the car's braking consistency.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the engingeers considered carbon ceramics but said they'd "explode" if used on this car (seriously)

It also adds cost. I have 8 piston carbon ceramics on the Bentley and I believe that they are the largest sized brakes on any production car. Hope I dont feel inferior going to 4 piston steel brembo's on the snake. :(

While the performance is incredible you need to be able to tolerate surface sounds depending on temperature and application that you dont get with steels so its a trade off.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom V you probably have about as much chance as seeing 700hp in a non ACR Viper as you do getting SRT to option CCB's. SRT engineers arent fond of CCB's and voiced that its a "gimmick" and they "explode" lol. I and many dont agree with that especially since a car with those same CCBs out braked and experienced no fade at Laguna on the way to beating the Viper. Other street car brands like Porsche etc run CCB's on there premium sports cars and Ive never heard about any of those explosions and exclamations of gimmickry by the owners or there respective engineers. I think its more a money issue than what the engineers say. Hopefully they will have a larger budget in the future if the Gen V is a sales success. I really think it should have CCB's especially at the 140-150k pricepoint. I've always said it should be an option. Its a much cheaper option than the Stryker red paint so it just makes sense that it could be an option even now imho.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work with some of the best engineers in their trade, and even a very skilled engineer with excellent judgement can change his mind. Yes I remember watching the video of the journalist saying that the CCBs could explode, according the the SRT engineer. There must be more to the story. My guess is that a CCB would overheat if it's rotor diameter was small enough to fit inside the Viper's 18" wheels, so they'd have to go to 19" wheels. Ralph said something about needing larger wheels and the resulting weight penalty, but it can't be that much more of a weight penalty as compared to the TA's thicker, heavier steel brakes. Carbon brakes are light, which should help offset the added weight of the 19" wheel. Or it may be that earlier CCB designs had issues that have been resolved recently with advancements in their engineering.

I think we have proof with the ZR1s and their 15.5" 6-piston CCB Brembos that it can be done reliably. The Ron Fellows school has students and instructors beating on the CCBs from 8am to 4pm, every day, and they haven't had any problems. Ever. That's one of the most extreme, real-world tests I can imagine. And based on their overwhelming preference for CCBs, I don't think they're a gimmick. I understand the argument that the steel brakes will stop you, you just have to trust them. I just don't agree. What CCBs give you are very consistent stopping, hot or cold, with no need to adjust your pedal pressure. That gives the driver confidence and less mistakes in over- or under-braking. The pads last for a very long time, and you don't need to swap in track pads and the track and wait for them to come up to temperature, like you do with steel brakes.

And I agree, just make it an option. Don't force the buyer to pay for it unless they're a track rat.

The NorCal region VCA members and I are having dinner some of the SRT high-ups and the Viper drivers at the ALMS race this Friday. Dick Winkles, Russ, and maybe Ralph will be there. I hope to get a chance to talk with them about this subject!

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Some of their concern with "exploding" might just be the failure method they see most with them (not that it's seen that often). I think iron rotors will probably fail fairly exicitingly as well, but it could be a safety issue. That's one of the big issues with carbon fiber too for body panels and lots of structural pieces. Sure it's strong stuff, but if you bend it too hard and it snaps do you want to be anywhere near those ragged edges? I designed a steering wheel hub in a composites class in college and had that same issue. I was trying to size it for a front impact where you put your chest into the steering wheel. Metal is nice and fails gracefully and will bend to absorb energy. Slam your chest into a splintering carbon steering wheel and you may have other thoughts rather than weight savings. I had to design it to be the strongest part of the system (so the column would fail first and collapse instead of the wheel).

Carbon is very similar to a Viper. It's dang strong and can be pushed to some incredible limits, but when it exceeds those limits it tends to fail catastrophically. I'd rather have fading brakes that tell me to back off than no brakes because my rotor exploded.

I agree that there's no reason it couldn't be an option though. It's an option with plenty of high end sports cars. Even if it mandates that you have to get larger wheels it could be packaged that way.

Last edited:

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole "CCB will explode" arguement is a load of crap. Honestly. When was the last time this happened and someone got hurt as a result? Make them an option. So many high end cars use them incident free. If there was any kind of trend about catastrophic failure or otherwise, they wouldn't be so prevalent. The exploding break thing is a very poor arguement at best. Just say there isn't the funding to R&D them for the Viper. That, I would understand and most others would too.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It could become an option in the future, but the main issue is really cost. With the tests for years using lightweight two piece rotors on ACRs, ACR-Xs, etc. the key is the Snake stops super well, and not sure the added cost of the rotors would be seen as a needed mod by many.

As an option I think it would be lightly requested at the present time, as I have not had a single customer ask about it or even bring them up. Quite sure, as well as SRT listens, if the demand merits, it will become something one can order in the future, but at present I think it is area elicting very little requests by those wanting a Viper -- just my humble opinion.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hate to see them be standard. I applaud SRT in spending the money elsewhere. Making it an option for all the poseurs would be fine however.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The only time I've seen one explode is during ALMS stuff. It was on a Corvette a few years back and was quite spectacular. Pretty sure most people don't race their cars for 12-24 hours straight though, so I would agree that is the extreme of extreme driving conditions and incredibly unlikely to occur during even long track weekends.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had them on my ZR1. Definitely could tell they didn't stop the car as well unless they were really warmed up. There weren't noisy at all. Certainly not needed on the street. I would buy them if they were offered though. It is worth it to me to keep my wheels and all of my suspension clean. They produce almost zero brake dust. If I should ever track the car then it would be a plus to have the better brakes as a bonus to the cleanliness.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Making it an option for all the poseurs would be fine however.

LOL. Come on man really? It would only make the Viper that more effective on track. Its FOR the track rats mostly not the poseurs. The bigger wheel excuse etc that SRT has spoken of in the past also holds no water for me. Teh ZR1 has 20" wheels along with the CCB's and its track results without the need for huge aerodynamics clearly speaks for itself. Sure the MPSC's helped majorly but those CCB's fade free stopping ability shined at Laguna. Same thing with the Z06 carbon with the same 20"/CCB setup. Why would you not want to at the very least equal or better your competition in this department? Bottom line it has worked exceptionally well for every other car that comes with them from the factory so why it wouldn't work for the Viper is beyond me.

I dont buy into "everything" SRT says in regards what they "cant" do because quite frankly a bit of it appears to be tongue in cheek nonsense designed to throw you off maybe? Car width excuse anyone? Maybe they tell us this stuff to steer us away from what they are bringing down the line in the future but at least make the excuse a tad believable lol. I'm sure Ill be yet again labeled a hater by the usual suspects but SRT is off base on a few of these excuses. CCB's as an option sounds like a no brainer to me. At the very least it should be an option on the upcoming ACR or the TA like was mentioned for the latter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hate to see them be standard. I applaud SRT in spending the money elsewhere. Making it an option for all the poseurs would be fine however.

I do agree that SRT used good judgement spending their development dollars elsewhere, in the right places to give us such an incredible package. The base SRT and the GTS turned lightening-fast track times at Laguna Seca without carbon ceramic brakes, let alone the record-breaking TA. But in the future, SRT will be deciding how to continually improve the Viper, to stay ahead of the competition. The ZR1 outbraked the Viper at Laguna Seca, that's evidence enough that this is an area that SRT could work on in the future.

The director of the driving school paid Viper nation a pretty big complement. He said that, of all of the owners groups (Corvettes, Porsches, Etc.), Vipers have a much higher percentage of true track rats and a lot less of the show-and-shiners. Not to say that there's anything wrong with show-and-shiners either, to each his own. But I know at least in my area that many Viper owners track their cars. I think there's a legitimate argument for carbon brakes on the Viper, especially on the TA and the upcoming ACR. I'd like to see it as an option for all models in the future.

Last edited:

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do agree that SRT used good judgement spending their development dollars elsewhere, in the right places to give us such an incredible package. The base SRT and the GTS turned lightening-fast track times at Laguna Seca without carbon ceramic brakes, let alone the record-breaking TA. But in the future, SRT will be deciding how to continually improve the Viper, to stay ahead of the competition. The ZR1 outbraked the Viper at Laguna Seca, that's evidence enough that this is an area that SRT could work on in the future.

The director of the driving school paid Viper nation a pretty big complement. He said that, of all of the owners groups (Corvettes, Porsches, Etc.), Vipers have a much higher percentage of true track rats and a lot less of the show-and-shiners. Not to say that there's anything wrong with show-and-shiners either, to each his own. But I know at least in my area that many Viper owners track their cars. I think there's a legitimate argument for carbon brakes on the Viper, especially on the TA and the upcoming ACR. I'd like to see it as an option for all models in the future.

When Ralph Gilles brought the SRT Viper to willow Springs in January, after just a few laps, he had the brakes literally smoking. He said that he thinks the engine out powered the brakes (even in casual conversation, he uses proper marketing terms, he didn't say that the brakes too small, just the the engine was too powerful). .

Speaking of Viper Nation - Your post caused me to look a the Ron Fellows web site. Look at the video on this page http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/driving-schools/corvette-performance-driving-schools
At 2:19 - there are at least two familiar faces - VCA's own Dan and Kathy Everts. Obviously stock footage, because Dan would never be seen in a Corvettte ;)

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a quote from Mister Viper regarding the ZR1's CC brakes from that Motor Trend Laguna Seca battle...

"What MotorTrend didn't tell you, by the way, was that the ZR1 boiled it's brake fluid during their earlier comparison test, and suffered significant brake fade as well. Journalistic oversight, apparently. Seriously.

As you suggest, a driver's perception of how a braking system 'performs' depends tremendously on how we are using it. The StopTech rotor kit provides a great lightweight, high performance, and very affordable brake kit with outstanding stopping ability. Randy Pobst was very impressed with the stopping power of the StopTech package in the 2013 Track Pack. He found himself often braking too early. These brakes also performed very well in the Viper 24-hour Endurance Racing Test at Nelson Ledges last autumn, averaging over 100mph (1200+ laps) on a very rough track with no issues. For a typical street driver, or occasional Track Day driver, the StopTech rotor is your package.

But, if you are truly an extreme user (and very few of us are), you will note moderate fade over a long haul on a road racing course with the StopTechs. The brakes NEVER, EVER go away, but they will fade. This means you can ALWAYS pull an ABS limit braking stop, but you will have to push a little harder on the pedal. The new for 2014 TA uses a heavier rotor package evolved from the ACR-X development, and for very extreme users, it will reduce this fade. But it also weighs more, so the car is carrying more rotating and unsprung inertia. Due in part to the brakes, the TA weighs about 50 lbs more than a 2013 track pack SRT."

Doesn't sound like they think the Viper particularly needs better brakes than the 3 levels they offer now.

bruce

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have them on my Turbo S.They stop excellent, never,ever any fade,no noise and best of all,no break dust at all..Big $$$ option(9000.00).They are a missing option that the new Viper needs to hang with the other supercars...

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. Come on man really?

LOL, no. But really... What I mean by that is the ZR1 comes with them standard right? How many of those ZR1s see the track? Ohh wow, your weekend cruiser has c.c. brakes... I'm impressed! Not. :rolaugh:

Yes I get the benefits of them, yes I think they look cool. At this time I never for myself needing them nor would I appreciate being forced into the price of admission when for me, 2 piece such as the ST or Brembos would be more than enough. I would rather see the c.c. brake $$ go elsewhere and I am glad SRT has not gone this route (yet?)

I am all for having them as an option ;) :drive:

K.I.S.S.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to highjack this thread, but my favorite option would be Magnetic Ride Control with a variety of settings, maybe as many as five.:drive:

Be more useful for the street and still be available for the track.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to highjack this thread, but my favorite option would be Magnetic Ride Control with a variety of settings, maybe as many as five.:drive:

Be more useful for the street and still be available for the track.

Probably not gonna happen, the Chrysler engineers I talked to were pretty dismissive of the MRC. :-(

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, no. But really... What I mean by that is the ZR1 comes with them standard right? How many of those ZR1s see the track? Ohh wow, your weekend cruiser has c.c. brakes... I'm impressed! Not. :rolaugh:

Yes I get the benefits of them, yes I think they look cool. At this time I never for myself needing them nor would I appreciate being forced into the price of admission when for me, 2 piece such as the ST or Brembos would be more than enough. I would rather see the c.c. brake $$ go elsewhere and I am glad SRT has not gone this route (yet?)

I am all for having them as an option ;) :drive:

K.I.S.S.

Funny I run EIGHT PISTON CC's on my DAILY DRIVER LOL

I'm told its a 20k system and the largest brakes on any production car in the world; I dont track it but it sure is fun on the roads.....

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the engingeers considered carbon ceramics but said they'd "explode" if used on this car (seriously)

While the performance is incredible you need to be able to tolerate surface sounds depending on temperature and application that you dont get with steels so its a trade off.

just sayin' ...the carbon ceramics don't need to be limited to track use.

I don't think explosions are as big of a potential issue as are their physical characteristics. The combination of ceramic rotors and pads causes them to "glaze" over if they do not reach a certain temperature during their use, which would cause them to perform worse than carbon pads and steel rotors in non-track driving scenarios. It may even pose a legal liability for Chrysler if people start crashing their vipers due to unexpected poor braking performance.

Porsche was able to address the glazing issue by using a proprietary compound that does not glaze over under normal driving conditions, so they can offer brakes like these on their vehicles as a standard option. I'm pretty sure that later down the line we'll see aftermarket options but it would have been nice SRT did go an extra step and make ceramic rotors and pads a part of the track pack. Excellent braking is just as crucial to performance as a powerful engine.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not gonna happen, the Chrysler engineers I talked to were pretty dismissive of the MRC. :-(

Funny they would say that because Ferrari licenses the magnetic ride control technology from GM to use on their own cars....

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funny I run EIGHT PISTON CC's on my DAILY DRIVER LOL

I'm told its a 20k system and the largest brakes on any production car in the world; I dont track it but it sure is fun on the roads.....

So it turns out that CC brakes stop a lot of things but can't manage to stop excessive, tiresome, pathetic over compensating, attention seeking bragging.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work with some of the best engineers in their trade, and even a very skilled engineer with excellent judgement can change his mind. Yes I remember watching the video of the journalist saying that the CCBs could explode, according the the SRT engineer. There must be more to the story. My guess is that a CCB would overheat if it's rotor diameter was small enough to fit inside the Viper's 18" wheels, so they'd have to go to 19" wheels. Ralph said something about needing larger wheels and the resulting weight penalty, but it can't be that much more of a weight penalty as compared to the TA's thicker, heavier steel brakes. Carbon brakes are light, which should help offset the added weight of the 19" wheel. Or it may be that earlier CCB designs had issues that have been resolved recently with advancements in their engineering.

LOL. Come on man really? It would only make the Viper that more effective on track. Its FOR the track rats mostly not the poseurs. The bigger wheel excuse etc that SRT has spoken of in the past also holds no water for me. Teh ZR1 has 20" wheels along with the CCB's and its track results without the need for huge aerodynamics clearly speaks for itself. Sure the MPSC's helped majorly but those CCB's fade free stopping ability shined at Laguna. Same thing with the Z06 carbon with the same 20"/CCB setup. Why would you not want to at the very least equal or better your competition in this department? Bottom line it has worked exceptionally well for every other car that comes with them from the factory so why it wouldn't work for the Viper is beyond me.

Needs an oversize wheel...?

This guy tracks with us. Those are 295/30/18 and 345/35/18 in the rear....:dunno:

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456