Carbon Spoiler Build Thread

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEre are some progress pics to show you all how a spoiler is made from scratch (at least how I make one, anyways)

First step, I protect the decklid with layers of packing tape and wax paper

Second step, build a backdrop for the rear of the spoiler

Laying down the fiberglass for a base on the deck and the rear

Applying the resin to glass

Building the front profile of the spoiler

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now we have poured the xpanding foam

Removed the profile barriers , now it looks like a NASCAR Viper

First trim and mark out a profile of the curve

Now a template that can be flipped from side to side to make sure it is the same on each side

Now a quick Photoshop to see if looks good

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now the trimming and shaping begins....

Now cut out a slot so you can see behind you in the rear view mirror

Checking it out!

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now sand some surfaces down

Getting the final profiles sanded out of the foam

Now applying resin and a layer of glass over the foam to finish the piece off

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect way to add some aero and a great track look without looking too out of place on the streets. I've been wanting something like this since I got my viper. You impress me once again steve

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How will the finished product attach?

Hi Anton,

It attached with either 3M body molding tape (the high strength stuff from the auto body supply store) or with PL Bonding adhesive or Windshield bonding adhesive, whichever the buyer is most comfortable with. These spoilers have 2 mounting surfaces vs just one so the adhesive has help keeping the piece in place vs just bonded on one plane as others are. We basically have designed in approx 140 sq inches of bonding surface

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Anton,

It attached with either 3M body molding tape (the high strength stuff from the auto body supply store) or with PL Bonding adhesive or Windshield bonding adhesive, whichever the buyer is most comfortable with. These spoilers have 2 mounting surfaces vs just one so the adhesive has help keeping the piece in place vs just bonded on one plane as others are. We basically have designed in approx 140 sq inches of bonding surface

So you can bond the spoiler without driling in to the deck lid and it wont fly off at 175mph? Not that I ever go that fast but in case I'm ever at the autobahn or something :)

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you can bond the spoiler without driling in to the deck lid and it wont fly off at 175mph? Not that I ever go that fast but in case I'm ever at the autobahn or something :)

I have seen people go almost 200 with a glued on H spoiler and those just glue along an 1/8 inch perimeter.

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My aero wing is glued on with windshield glue. I told the body shop that I wanted it permanently glued on but they said the windshield glue would be plenty strong and it would be removable if I ever wanted it off. My car has seen 170mph+ since the wing was added and to my surprise it's still on there!

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very impressive and outstanding work! Looking forward to seeing the finished product and when you get my gen2 wing done:D

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one is being wrapped in Carbon right now and being molded right after that.

these are being made 100% in the USA with a lot of cool options (some I can't disclose yet) but what I will tell you is that I will be making these in various carbon fiber colors, reg twill, Plain weave, red Carbon kevlar twill, blue Carbon kevlar twill, green Carbon kevlar twill, Copper Twill, and a myriad of others.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one is being wrapped in Carbon right now and being molded right after that.

these are being made 100% in the USA with a lot of cool options (some I can't disclose yet) but what I will tell you is that I will be making these in various carbon fiber colors, reg twill, Plain weave, red Carbon kevlar twill, blue Carbon kevlar twill, green Carbon kevlar twill, Copper Twill, and a myriad of others.

Cant wait. This fill be a great addition to my car!

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will be released just in time for the spring season when our snake's come out of hibernation! I look at my car and it looks naked without this now that I've seen these pics.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few update pics, after some filling and sanding and filling and sanding

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how does this affect the aerodynamics of the car?

doctorbob,

Overall it enhances the aero of the car. This spoiler is designed to "spoil" the airflow going over the car, so it reduces the lift that is caused by the air flowing over the car. Just as the wing does on your ACR. By reducing or spoiling the lift, more of the weight is able to be used as downforce for handling and traction.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ACR obviously has front and rear items that affect the aerodynamics of the car. Sorry if my question was vague, but Dodge put the car through wind tunnel tests to maximize air flow. So you do have an idea of the downforce that your wing supplies? Changes in Areodynamics of the car.?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Unlike what is on your car, a wing (air foil) that is made to spoil the airflow and create downforce, a spoiler like this one is made to spoil the airflow, not to additionally create downforce. Rear spoilers reduce lift in a subtle way. They "spoil" the air flow off the end of a car. Air passing over and around the body of the car has to fill in the "void" behind the car after the car has passed. This creates a low pressure area behind and to some extent above the rear of the car - the lines of air flow continue beyond the body of the car and the air moves to fill in the void. This creates lift much like an air foil. Additionally, the low pressure area creates a lot of drag on the car as basically it is a vacuum "sucking" the car back. A spoiler works by spoiling the smooth air flow. It causes the air to go turbulent, and "tumble" into the void behind the car. Although the turbulent air causes drag, that drag is made up for by the reduction in the drag caused by the smooth air flow creating the "vacuum" behind the car. And the biggest benefit is that the turbulent "spoiled air" disrupts the lift that would have been generated. The rear spoiler does not generate down-force from the air "pushing down" on it, it reduces the lift that would have otherwise been generated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh