Center speaker removal

creese

VCA Member
Reaction score
hope all are well, my top center speaker (the two between the seats) is blown in my 2003 srt10, it is an alpine, the bottom has no label, so i'm assuming it was replaced before, can see the screws beneath the grills, but cannot get the grills off....pried a little with a body trim tool, but didn't budge, didn't want to go any harder, searched speaker removal, subwoofer, center speaker removal to no avail, could use a starting point if anyone knows....thanks

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The whole pack waterfall panel has to come off to get at that. It should just be a single speaker and the other hole is a port for the box the speaker is in. There are two screws that go into the center armrest console behind the seats and I think one under each rocker cover on the door sills. You've also got to remove the roll hoops to get the panel off, which is two bolts in each access panel. You don't have to remove the seat belts, but if you want to take the whole panel off and not work around it you've got to.

OP
OP
C

creese

VCA Member
Reaction score
thanks again moparmap…. mine def has two speakers in it...keep u posted what I run into...

hlieber50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attached is a picture of the box with the speaker. At the dealer it's exchange only or replace the speaker that's in the speaker box. I hope the picture attaches.

You must be registered for see images attach

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible someone put a custom box in. I dabbled with a few different ideas as mine was completely gutted when I bought my car. They had cut the whole back off for some reason, but there was no speaker in it anyway as they did a passenger footwell sub. I tried making a plywood box to fit that sorta worked, but finally just bought a factory box out of a junkyard and put a new speaker of my choosing in it.

OP
OP
C

creese

VCA Member
Reaction score
hlieber, thanks for the pic, what year is that out of? but both speakers in mine clearly have screws below the screens, ive done a lot of audio systems, usually when u can see the 4 mounting screws, its a drop in speaker that can be removed from the top just by taking the screen of?? like moparmap said, think someone custom built these in....only one way to find out....

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The gen 1 and 2 had two speakers in the center. That box he posted was stock in all gen 3 and 4 cars, though maybe not a ******** ACR? Have you got a picture? Would be curious to see just for the sake of seeing it. Not a bad idea to put two speakers there instead as really you can't get a big enough subwoofer to overpower the exhaust, at least not in my experience. I have a Kicker ~6.5" sub in mine now that sounds okay when the car isn't running, but as soon as you start it up the bass all falls out. Granted I have Borla exhaust and headers with no cats and a cam now, so it was an uphill battle for it to begin with. On stock exhaust it might not be bad.