Changing tranny fluid

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I searched forum and found good recomendation on the tranny and diff fluids, but could not find a write up on how to change tranny fluid.
Diff fluid change: (2 QTS differential is MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140" 04874469 PLUS 4 oz. of the "MOPAR Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier" 04318060AB) should not be a big deal if you have a sucking pump.

What about tranny? I may need to look a little closer under the car, but last time I was changin motor oil I didn't see where the tranny plug is? Anyone got a picture and how to for tranny fluids change?

Thanks.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you have to pull the belly pan down to get to the tranny drain plug.It is on the passenger side of the trans close to the trans mount. Use a 3/8 ratchet to takethe plug out. The fill plug is on the drivers side mid way up the case.

Steve dont you ever work?

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just refreshed the fluids in my transmission and diff on my 05.

If you have any questions, let me know.

I took pictures too.

It was easy. Hardest part was taking all the damn bolts off the undertray. But one of the benefits was tightening them all down and used blue loctite. No more rattles!

Hint: Use a cordless screwdriver or drill. It will make it easier getting the bolts off and on.

Used Royal Purple Synchromax in the trans and Mobil 1 75W-140 with 4oz of LSD additive in the differential.

Have put 500 miles on the car since doing this and no problems. The rear is WAY quieter than before and the transmission shifts are noticeably smoother (better than the T56 in my 04 Cobra with Pennzoil Synchromesh)

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just refreshed the fluids in my transmission and diff on my 05.

If you have any questions, let me know.

I took pictures too.

It was easy. Hardest part was taking all the damn bolts off the undertray. But one of the benefits was tightening them all down and used blue loctite. No more rattles!

Hint: Use a cordless screwdriver or drill. It will make it easier getting the bolts off and on.

Used Royal Purple Synchromax in the trans and Mobil 1 75W-140 with 4oz of LSD additive in the differential.

Have put 500 miles on the car since doing this and no problems. The rear is WAY quieter than before and the transmission shifts are noticeably smoother (better than the T56 in my 04 Cobra with Pennzoil Synchromesh)

I too have 2005, if you can please email me pictures that you took while changing tranny fluid: [email protected]

Thanks.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
YLW DRM2, back in March you said "... how did you know I ordered service manual".

Hopefully, it arrived. You will find it very useful for most of the service procedures on your Viper.

Take care to use the recommended fluids...many have experimented with transmission fluids, and some have paid the penalty.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YLW DRM2, back in March you said "... how did you know I ordered service manual".

Hopefully, it arrived. You will find it very useful for most of the service procedures on your Viper.

Take care to use the recommended fluids...many have experimented with transmission fluids, and some have paid the penalty.
You will not believe it, but I managed to loose manual CD :dunno::mad:. Been looking allover my garage and office and can't find it my wife must have put it somewhere when she was cleaing the house and doesn't want to admit that it was her who misplaced it :rolleyes:.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62