Check your control arm bushings

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was swapping wheels/tires today and have been monitoring one of my bushing on the front driver's side that started to deteriorate awhile ago. I tried to have it replaced under warranty last year but they kinda just brushed it aside while some other things were getting done. Now one of the bushings on the pass. side is starting to go to. Gonna be going back this week again to a different dealership for an oil change and gonna bring this up and see what I can get done. Everyone make sure to keep an eye out. First 2 pics are driver's side, last one is the pass. side. it's starting to go on the bottom

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 223

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good reminder. but also check the actual control arm for cracks. there have been a few of us who had them crack.

OP
OP
M

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just a quick update. I got the bushings covered under my chrysler maxcare warranty. They ordered me a new set of arms as you cannot get the bushings by themselves. They came in and the bushing were already cracking. so, if anyone else has to order new arms please make sure YOU check them and just don't let them put them on your car as you could just have to repeat the process again.

I have also talked to the guys @ Energy suspension and they are working on bushings they tell me. If anyone in Cali wants to take there car in for all new bushings let me know and I'll get you in touch with the right guy.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty surprised there aren't already good sources for poly bushings. Did you dealer let you keep the old control arms? Sometimes I was able to get them to give them to me since they were just going to toss them anyhow. If you had the old ones, you could get someone like Energy to pack them with new poly bushings and have them ready for when the rubber ones go out.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just a quick update. I got the bushings covered under my chrysler maxcare warranty. They ordered me a new set of arms as you cannot get the bushings by themselves. They came in and the bushing were already cracking. so, if anyone else has to order new arms please make sure YOU check them and just don't let them put them on your car as you could just have to repeat the process again.

I have also talked to the guys @ Energy suspension and they are working on bushings they tell me. If anyone in Cali wants to take there car in for all new bushings let me know and I'll get you in touch with the right guy.

Did you keep the old arms? If so, would you be willing to unload them?

OP
OP
M

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty surprised there aren't already good sources for poly bushings. Did you dealer let you keep the old control arms? Sometimes I was able to get them to give them to me since they were just going to toss them anyhow. If you had the old ones, you could get someone like Energy to pack them with new poly bushings and have them ready for when the rubber ones go out.

I'm in contact with ES and waiting on a response from them. Since the dealership can't actually install these arms for me (can't get the car on their rack) I can do whatever with these new arms.

Matt

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in contact with ES and waiting on a response from them. Since the dealership can't actually install these arms for me (can't get the car on their rack) I can do whatever with these new arms.

Matt

Sweet, maybe you can mail them out and have them installed and sent back? Is that possible? I'm sure my car will need some replacements as well.

OP
OP
M

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet, maybe you can mail them out and have them installed and sent back? Is that possible? I'm sure my car will need some replacements as well.

That's what I'm waiting to hear back on. They'd basically prototype on these arms and then make bushings that anyone could buy. Funny thing is they have part #'s for these parts but they have never created them. I know Sean Roe was prototyping a setup awhile ago but I'm not really sure what went wrong there. Hopefully sending parts to them will get things moving again.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I was doing my brakes I looked at my bushings and they are all cracked, I was thinking poly mounts as well, but on page 39 of Energy Suspension's current catalog, they only go up to '00, so '01 onwards isn't covered.....does anyone know if there is a difference between an '00 and an '02 GTS/RT10/ACR upper and lower control arm bushings?

http://www.energysuspension.com/assets/files/2010-energy-suspension-catalog.pdf

Regards,
Aaron

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who talks to ES you can tell them there's one more in line when they offer some for '01...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked the Viper Parts Listings for 2000 and 2001 and 2002. The control arm part numbers are the same for all three years. This leads me to believe, or assume, that the '00 ES bushings will fit the '01/'02 control arms. :dunno:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think yall are overreacting. The average vehicle never has its bushings replaced and look much worse than that. That cracked part on the picture above dosnt mean jack, Its whats on the inside of the bushing that does the work. It is Two metal sleeves with rubber between them and the outer rubber on the sides is just there to locate the bushing/ctrlarm and keep it all centered. The A-arm Bushing is simply there to absorb the shock between the control arm and the frame. Change to derlin and riding on bumpy non-track surfaces your asking for cracked control arms.

Truly wore bushings will show up on an alignment. Thats one of the reasons your supposed to get an alignment every few years; bushings age and the alignment has to be slightly changed to compensate. This is normal. Not normal would be going for an alignment and seeing excessive negative camber that was not there a few years ago. This could be caused by a worn upper control arm bushing.(or worse case you hit a pothole and bent something)

OP
OP
M

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I was doing my brakes I looked at my bushings and they are all cracked, I was thinking poly mounts as well, but on page 39 of Energy Suspension's current catalog, they only go up to '00, so '01 onwards isn't covered.....does anyone know if there is a difference between an '00 and an '02 GTS/RT10/ACR upper and lower control arm bushings?

http://www.energysuspension.com/assets/files/2010-energy-suspension-catalog.pdf

Regards,
Aaron
ES never actually came out with ANY control arm bushings for ANY year Viper. I contacted them directly. They did make some prototypes which is the reason for the part #'s. Sean Roe has the complete prototype setup on one of his cars. This was all years ago and nothing was ever released. The are currently 2 people in the process of trying to manufacture them other than ES. Hopefully something will come out soon. I was lucky and had mine replaced under warranty.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks MTGTS! I hope someone comes to market with something soon; this is one upgrade that I can't believe isn't already covered in the market.

Regards,
Aaron

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm surprised you have to order the whole are to get the busing replaced.....do you think a poly mount would cause more a-arms to crack? The busing area seems to be the arms weak spot :dunno:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Dom. Unless the inner rubber is gone or crushed, not a big deal. I suppose if the outer material was completely missing, maybe a locating issue for the arm, but I haven't seen one that bad yet. Still, keeping a watchful eye out....

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhere, someone (perhaps one our site sponsors) must have replaced the bushings without ordering brand new control arms. :dunno: Spill it. What's the secret sauce?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I put some MG Chemicals "Rubber renew" into a squirt bottle, and liberally splashed both sides of every bushing. I let it soak in, then repeated the process. Also hit all the grease fittings. The car rode quieter afterwards.

Rubber Cleaner

The link says "cleaner", but the product description specification deals with rejuvenating rubber, not cleaning it. Do it outside, because it initially has an odor, but that goes away after a bit. If you do it in the garage, the vapors will go into the house and your wife will get upset. (Don't ask....) :^)

Viper owner

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave