Chrome or not?

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all. I have an 06 vert with the stock wheels. I was considering having Calchrome chrome them for me. But, I was told that would add some more weight to what are supposedly heavy wheels already. I really would like to change the wheels in some way. Are the stock wheels really that heavy and should I go to something else? Does chrome add that much weight? Also what brand would you say are strong but lighter? I do like the Forgeline and the HRE wheels. Thanks again all.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few of the truck guys have had their wheels (75 lbs. with tire) done by Permastar. Great looks and excellent protection.
Just another option for ya.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chroming adds less than a pound to the stock wheel. Not significant, but a light weight wheel option would be the SSRs.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chrome. you should see these wheels when calchrome is done with them. You wont believe it.. Take a few before and after shots.. Your stock wheels will look like they got hit by a sandblaster, compared to the finished product.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still up in the air about it. More concerned about the weight I think.

That is confusing. If you track your car then why consider chrome at all? If you don't track your car then why be concerned with weight?

Regardless, the amount of weight is insignificant. I'd be more concerned with chrome covering up potential problems like cracking.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do it. My regret is that I didn't do it 4 years ago when I bought my car.

Folks have been running around on chrome wheels for 50 years. I think we'd know by now if chrome wheels were a bad idea.

Besides, it only cost about $800 and it's not like you're ruining museum pieces. If it doesn't work out, just take them to the landfill and spend $5000+ on billet wheels.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have OEM wheels they are heavy YES! A little chrome isn't going to make a world of difference. Change the exhaust (loose20lbs+++) put in a 2" seat lowering kit loose 20lbs. Change to stopteck rotors loose 15lbs, Change to PS2 over runflates loose a few pounds, Buy Sidewinder/ACR wheels OEM loose 30lbs. Skip a McDonalds run Loose a couple pounds. Lots of ways to loose weight if thats your concern. Wheel weight is the best to loose but still chrome is just not a lot. My .02 cents:lmao2:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For pete's sake chroming your rims will add maybe one pound total weight to your car.....do the chrome you will not be sorry.. chuck has been anti-chrome since the 50's and usually makes 3-4 anti-chrome comments in every chrome thread.. to quote chuck "I got past step 1 after high school when I realized chrome was for 57 Chevys not for sports cars."

http://forums.viperclub.org/driven/622463-those-were-wondering-about-weight-chromed-wheels.html

You must be registered for see images

J5.JPG

J8.JPG

OP
OP
C

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good points about the weight. Silly concern of mine. I think I will try it with Calchrome. For the price it seems like a good try. If I don't like it I can change them out. Thanks all for the points. You helped a lot.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chuck has been anti-chrome since the 50's and usually makes 3-4 anti-chrome comments in every chrome thread.. to quote chuck "I got past step 1 after high school when I realized chrome was for 57 Chevys not for sports cars."

Actually I wasn't born until 1960 consequently forming my anti-chrome opinion after graduating high school in 1978. But there were a lot of 57 Chevy's back in the day.

The guy asked "chrome or not?" I replied with my opinion. Strange that so many care what other's think...well, only if they like the opinion they hear.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, ya know 1 pound of rotational mass equeals 4 pounds of dead weight....so you just added 4 pounds of dead weight to you car there Wallbanger....that would keep me up at night :rolleyes:

For pete's sake chroming your rims will add maybe one pound total weight to your car.....do the chrome you will not be sorry..

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually I wasn't born until 1960 consequently forming my anti-chrome opinion after graduating high school in 1978. But there were a lot of 57 Chevy's back in the day.

The guy asked "chrome or not?" I replied with my opinion. Strange that so many care what other's think...well, only if they like the opinion they hear.
It's true..I am looking for opinions on whether to chrome or not. Positive and negative constructive opinions and I appreciate them all.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
which wheels are you talking about?
Here r the 10 spoke.
You must be registered for see images attach

and here is a 20" forgeline both with sensors and tires.

as you can tell not much weight savings when you step up to a bigger wheel

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to chrome the wheels, calchrome is definitely the company to use. I've dealt with John at calchrome for years and I must say that they are the best. You won't be disappointed.....Good Luck!

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red plus chrome is for all generations...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth