Cleaing Road Spray and Grime

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had the 03 Viper in the rain before, but it was usually pouring, so basically the whole car was already "washed" for me. I had only to dry, detail spray and wax it. Today, I drove about 30 miles AFTER the rain, on still soaked roads, with lots of traffic, and of course my sills and doors look awful. I know Eric Thompson is fond of spray the car down with the top DOWN;) ( I have seen this in person!). However, I would really like to just clean it up in the garage. Waterless wash and some microfiber with detail spray? Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The waterless wash is for very very light dirt or dust. You need to start from scratch with a good 2 bucket wash.

Bruce

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Bruce said. If you don't listen you'll surely scratch the paint by picking up some grit.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Scott, you need to wash it .... waterless wash is for dust that settles on the car, not that is stuck to the car via driving

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would at least hose it really good to get any larger grit off before pulling it in to QEW wash. I would also shake my towels a lot while using the QEW method to remove any grit and turn/switch you towels often. It can be done safely if the grit is removed via a hose first but I would use the two bucket QEW method not just some waterless wash spray. One bucket is to soak/rinse your mitt, the other is for QEW solution. Make sure your sheep skin mitt you are using with the QEW are fairly wet and flip and wipe a second time before you dry the panel with a waffle weave. If you search QEW method you should find an old post of mine where I outline the procedure.

Ideally you really should use the two bucket method and a hose and wash it the conventional way.

OP
OP
S

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Frank. I actually took to one of the new bays in West Chester today, and gave her a light spray and soakdown (can't use high pressure on the 'vert. Was able to most of the spray off, and spent a couple hours back at the garage going over her. Not Ameila Island-ready, but she's presentable!

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would definitely wash it after a drive in the rain. When it rains, the water on the road stirs up all the dirt and then your tires sling it everywhere and the cars in front of you throw it in the air! Also, rain around these parts isn't exactly clean!

OP
OP
S

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would definitely wash it after a drive in the rain. When it rains, the water on the road stirs up all the dirt and then your tires sling it everywhere and the cars in front of you throw it in the air! Also, rain around these parts isn't exactly clean!

Thanks Eric, I did. See you guys in May at the clinic.