Clearing service engine light?

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I just installed the Jet Skipshift connector in my 2001 GTS to hopefully turn off the service engine light.

Well, it's still on. Does that mean that the Jet connector is not working or does it mean I just need to clear the computer to turn off the light?

If I need to clear the computer, how do I do that on a 2001? The archives made it sound like some cars can be cleared by disconnecting the battery...

Thanks,

ViperDoctor

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ugh.

1) I tried reading the codes with the on/off/on/off/on sequence and nothing. I guess that doesn't work with 2001's either.

2) Tried disconnecting the battery to clear the check engine light. Didn't do it. Guess that doesn't work with 2001's either.

3) Took out JET skipshift and put back original connectors. Still have check engine light.

Ugh. I can't read the codes to know for sure that the check engine light isn't from something else. Can't get rid of the light...

Any ideas?

ViperDoctor

Reaction score
-Your right, that doesn't work.

The PCM will check and monitor all of the sensors. If the skip shift was the evident malfunction, the PCM will clear the SES after a few run cycles.

Also depends how long you disconnected the battery. Must be a minimum of 30 minutes.

Good luck,
Doug

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I unplugged the battery for 45 minutes and I still have the check engine light even though I have restored the skipshift to it's original state.

So, I tried cycling the engine (started and stopped) about 7 times and I still have the light.

Ugh. It looks like a trip to the dealer...

ViperDoctor

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPERDOCTOR,OKAY ITS REAL SIMPLE..........STEP1.UNPLUG BATTERY TERMINAL LEAD ON TOP OF PCM...MAKE SURE U LIFT OFF ANY OTHER WIRES ON THE TERMINAL.STEP 2 UNPLUG THE 3 PLUGS THAT GO TO AND CONNECT TO THE PCM BOX U WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE METAL PLATE OFF THE PCM BOX TO DO THIS.STEP 3 U ONLY NEED TO WAIT 5 MINUTES AT THE MOST.....CONNECT ANY OTHER WIRES REMOVED FROM THE BATTERY TERMINAL BACK ON THE TERMINAL THEN CONNECT THE MAIN BATTERY TERMINAL LEAD BACK ON.STEP 4 CONNECT THE THREE PCM PLUGS BACK TO THE PCM IN THE ORDER THAT THEY CAME OFF AND PUT THE METAL PCM CONNECTION PLATE BACK ON .STEP 4 FIRE UP YOUR SNAKE. STEP 5 SMILE YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL NOW BE OUT UNLESS U FIDDLED WITH YOUR EXHAUST HEADERS AND O2 SENSORS.BEST REGARDS! NORM KOERNER

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NORM: Thanks for your message. If I screw up again, I will now know to remove the PCM connections as well when trying to clear the check engine light.

Thanks again!

ViperDoctor

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456