Coming out of long term storage...

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperholics,
Looking for recommendations.
I'm just returning after almost 3 years overseas for Uncle Sam. :usa: My '02 Final Edition and Prowler have been in an unheated garage with sealed moisture cover. Each was treated with fuel stabilizer prior to storage, but I didn't have time to 'pickle' the engines. I 'peeked' inside the covers earlier this week and they look fine. The tires appear inflated, but I'm guessing that's because they are runflats.
Should I charge the battery, fill the tires, and light the fires? :drive: Any recomendations to pre-treat the cylinders, perhaps rotate the crank, or fill with fresh fuel before I try to crank the engine? Both had fairly new batteries when they were stored. Any idea if they'll hold a charge? I'm guessing the tire rubber will be pretty hard/slick. Any other observations or suggestions? :omg:
I plan to move them from storage to our new home over Christmas break. Will let you know how I fare. :dunno:

Jim B.

V

Venomiss

First and foremost thank you for your service. Welcome back!

It sounds like a Viper Tech would be the best person to talk with.
He is on these boards as Viper Wizard and may chime in.
Put his number in your wallet.

Tator's Dodge 20 Spring Street South in South Salem, NY 10590
Phone 914-763-3136 Fax 914-763-9507 Email: [email protected]

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks and welcome back.

I'd recommend putting a battery charger on, disconnecting your choice of wires or fuses so the fuel pump/injectors don't operate, and crank for 60 seconds. Then reconnect and fire up. Add fresh fuel as soon as possible - if it was last fueled in the summer, it will be a little temperamental until warmed up. Drive for at least a few hours... fuel cost here is about half that in Germany, right?

Smile when done and take the next day to do the same to the other car.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, Thank You and Welcome back!! :usa: :2tu:

I'd start with charging up the battery: use a trickle charger at no more then 2amp's for 24 hours. Check oil & coolant levels, pull your ASD/fuel pump relay [as Tom says] and turn her over for thirty seconds, while watching the oil pressure gauge to see if it moves. STOP, wait a few minutes and do it again. If you've got movement on the O/P gauge, plug your relay back in. Fingers cross, fire her up! Now when she does start, it may sound like a bag of nickels, do not give her any throttle till most of the nickel sound is gone. Now watch your temp gauge, let her come up to temp and let the radiator fan at least cycle once. Try your clutch to see if you can get it and out of gear while idling, also pump the brakes. If all checks good, go for a drive but take it easy at first! If it were mine I'd only drive for 5-10 miles and then change ALL fluids!! Hope this helps? Enjoy the new play time!:cool:

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming from someone who owns a classic vehicle, check for LEAKS, or even seapage from gasket areas, such as oil pan, rear main seals, tranny ouput shaft, and differential seals. 3 years of fluid just sitting against those gaskets could have caused leaks, especially with seasonal changes and a lack of climate control.

And I agree with the above - thank you for serving our country. I hope the rest of your fellow soldiers get to come home soon!

Jeff

OP
OP
T

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all. This is just the advice I was looking for. Storage garage is paid until February and I won't have my own garage until mid-December so will 'give it a whirl' over Christmas/New Years break (if weather cooperates). I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thanks. Jim B. :)

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, where is home for you now? Just wondering where you're from originally. Is it good being back in the States? I'm hoping to get a little cooperative weather this weekend. I'm having Viper withdrawal!

Jeff

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all. This is just the advice I was looking for. Storage garage is paid until February and I won't have my own garage until mid-December so will 'give it a whirl' over Christmas/New Years break (if weather cooperates). I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thanks. Jim B. :)

Jim, a HUGE thank-you also from us for your service...and hope also your fellow service-people come home soon. Yes, wondering too, where is home for you?
You've listed Germany, is that where you are currently? You heard from the best here...Tom for fluids; and Chuck for Viper maintenance. Hope the time comes quickly for you to play with the Viper, then goes by SLOWLY while playing~!
:usa: :drive::2tu: ~juli

OP
OP
T

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT'S ALIVE - Finally - the promised reply after 3 years in an unheated storage garage. :eater:

I hoped to get the Viper out of storage sooner, but this is only the second warm/dry Saturday since we moved back to the US from Germany - first one I used to get the Prowler from storage to the new house.

I arrived at the storage area when it opened at 0900 this morning and unzipped the vinyl storage bag. The right rear tire needed air, but no leaks, rust, or other visual concerns. Of course the battery was dead - took me a few minutes to remember the procedures to reach the emergency releases for the doors (through the rear hatch), operate the hood release, and raise the hood. :dunno:

I attached consumer-grade jumper cables to the terminal under the hood and was happy to hear and see the usual door chimes and dash lights. However, after 30 minutes of cranking attempts, I could not 'turn over' the engine. It was obvious from the voltmeter that I did not have sufficient cranking power. I checked with the storage foreman, but he had similar 'consumer' jumper cables; tried his, but still no joy. Finally, I clamped the terminals with both battery cables and then zoom-zoom. The engine cranked and quickly settled into a stable idle. Oil pressure - check, Engine temp - OK, Fuel - oops, not much (and it would probably have been alot cheaper to fill the tank 3 years ago)! :D Lesson learned - if it won't crank, try heavy duty jumper cables.

A few minutes to pack-up the storage bag and cover and then off to the gas station. I know the signs say - shut off the motor to fuel, but this time we fueled with the engine running. Two blocks later and she's on the interstate. :drive:The bumpy ride showed the tires were obviously 'out of round,' but after 30 minutes of highway driving the ride was considerably smoother. Brakes, fan, radio, air conditioner - all worked like new. The car is now in the garage of our new home - on a battery tender. She needs (has earned) Zaino and an oil change. The ABS light stayed on - so more research here will be needed. I don't know if there is a moral to the story, but thanks for all of the 'out of storage tips.' Now back to fun driving - zoom zoom. Thanks for reading. :2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see you are back in the US and you can DRIVE your FEViper again!

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Germany and I am sorry that we never met here...perhaps during the Niagara Falls cruise of the IL VCA?

V

Venomiss

It's running!!!:2tu:

Hopefully you can join the VCA and in the meantime PM one of the moderators here with your information VIN....and update your profile so you can be listed as a Viper owner.

If you are interested in purchasing a raffle ticket you need to be a VCA member by the 24 to be eligible to buy one.

I am sure some of the members from the PA region will chime in. Congratulations.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TriJim, great to have you back in PA, and thanks for your service to our country. Glad to hear you got it running with no major issues....just in time for our cruise next weekend in Lancaster:drive:. Let me know if you are interested in coming along
Thanks
Carmen

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll bump an old thread...

My gen-1 has been sitting for about a year in the same state as Jim's. I hooked up a charger to the battery posts under the hood, and when I turned it on, the flashers, radio, and dash lights would flash and current out of the charger would go on/off at about 1-2 Hz. Same result with the trickle charger.

I'm planning on pulling the battery out and trying to charge it directly (I think it's probably completely dead to the point I'll have to replace it), but I'm wondering what's going on above... Alarm system maybe?

Thoughts?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Battery is likely dead...possible internal short. You also need to inspect connectors on cables at the battery. New group 78 battery should get you going..especially if Viper is 95 or 96. If it's a 92 or 93 you may need a "trick"...slight chance of same with some 94's.

Have you changed battery & cleaned tray in the past? If not, see Illustrated Upgrade Section.

Give me a call if you like.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bump an old thread...

My gen-1 has been sitting for about a year in the same state as Jim's. I hooked up a charger to the battery posts under the hood, and when I turned it on, the flashers, radio, and dash lights would flash and current out of the charger would go on/off at about 1-2 Hz. Same result with the trickle charger.

I'm planning on pulling the battery out and trying to charge it directly (I think it's probably completely dead to the point I'll have to replace it), but I'm wondering what's going on above... Alarm system maybe?

Thoughts?

After you get a new battery in the car, re-sync the fob next to reset the alarm. It should go back to as good as new :2tu:

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So is the flashing thing a common problem? I'm seeking reassurance I didn't fry anything, though I'm not sure how it would be possible to do so doing what I did.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Reminder:

On Gen 1's & 2's, be aware that if you are waking up a dead snake (full dead battery), you also may find that the control module must "relearn", which means your snake may not idle. Just keep a light foot on the pedal (to maintain an idle), and drive around for about 10 minutes or so. The module will then be "re-educated".