COMP COUPE RACING EXHAUST?

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody heard of this exhaust? I wanted to go straight pipe but have been told it will be too loud. I am talking to Dan at DC performance and from what I've heard he know his stuff. He says I will loose to much bottem end torque with straight pipe. I am taking off all four cats. I want it LOUDer than the corsa tracks. I am looking for max wieght loss and max power. Since I've been on the board I've never heard of the comp coupe exhaust. Can someone tell me more about it?

Thanks,
Mike

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the corsa track with headers and high flow cats. It will be loud enough that you will go deaf after 5000 miles of driving.
Trust me on this. I'm speaking from personal experience here.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may be thinkng about the Mopar race exhaust. It is 3 inch and eliminates all 4 catalysts and the crossover. Much lighter and louder.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may be thinkng about the Mopar race exhaust. It is 3 inch and eliminates all 4 catalysts and the crossover. Much lighter and louder.

HGow does this compare tot he corsa track> Louder, more power? :2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owuld say a toss up in both regards, though the exhaust note is different.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which one do you think is louder? I am looking for max power and max weight reduction. I've always gone straight pipe on all my Vette's but a lot of people here say it would be a mistake. :usa:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can put together your own hi flow/low HP exhaust system without having to resort to straight pipes.
Dynomax for one, has CFM figures for their mufflers on their website; page 180, or 181 as I recall.

Tests have shown there's almost nothing to be gained from using larger pipes than necessary or by being louder, once you've achieved enough CFM flow through your exhaust system to not restrict your engine via free flowing mufflers and adequate exhaust pipe diameter..

If you're sticking with sidepipes, then a non-restrictive exhaust system supporting any power level you're likely to be using should be a piece of cake.

For example the two - 2.5"ID Dynomax welded mufflers I just put under the back of my GTS flow 1100cfm each. It's very quiet, even without CATS, and that pair of 2.5"ID mufflers will support up to 1000hp. Which should be more than enough for my future needs.

Of course on the GTS, having a long overall exhaust system length, with exhaust pipes exiting the rear of the car, I'll have to make sure the rest of the exhaust system is flowing well enough.

I've got a 0-30psi pressure gauge arriving soon. Then I can start measuring the backpressure of my exhaust system and make changes as necessary to exhaust pipe diameter.

:cool:

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on doing the Paxton and want the best flow possible. I've just never heard of the comp coupe exhaust before. :2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a finer gauge. You probably want to be around 6-8 inches of backpressure. That is around 3-4 psi.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The best mufflers that will give you the most HP are called..........TURBO.
Isn’t that right?

I wouldn’t go straight pipes on a SRT-10. I used to have a supercharged Z06 with straight pipes and that’s when I lost 90% of my hearing.

There is not much HP to be gained from the exhaust in SRT-10’s. Couple people made their own exhausts. That way you get exactly what you want and end up paying less too.

Get the Paxton first.

Good luck.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo mufflers are usually not straight through. There are some new-fangled hi flow mufflers on the market with intricate inner workings, but I've found Dynomax's offerings very quiet and their CFM is plenty high.

- Thanks for the tip Ron, but I was a few steps ahead of you. I've just re-ordered a 0-15psi gauge instead. Though the 0-30psi has small enough increments to serve as an indicator of what's happening, I'd already decided a smaller scale would be even better!

I'll just refuse the original order.

I think I'll use a video camera to record psi readings then go back and review rather than try and watch the road AND the gauge at the same time..

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen to Dan Cragin. He has his own in house dyno, and knows how to get the max out of V-10's.

A warning for those who want it LOUD! The sound of a V-10 is much different than a V-8. The sound of a loud V-10 is much less appealing than a loud v-8.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want that angry U.P.S. truck sound. :D I still can't believe no ones heard of the comp coupe exhaust. I'll call Dan again and ask him to clarify.

Thanks guys,
Mike

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The stock Comp Coupe exhaust starts with a street Viper exhaust manifold (which is not all that bad) and flows through a race muffler and out the side exhaust. There are no cats on a CC. On mine, I eventually replaced my exhaust manifolds with Belanger headers. The Belangers did not create that much more noise. They did create more power which showed up in lower lap times. Without a dyno, I cannot tell you how much power they created. A number of CC owners in the SCCA Speed World Challenge Series have gone to the shorter "stubby" exhaust pipes because it adds a slight amount of power and also reduces weight.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Frank. At that point, why dont they just go straight pipe instead of a stubby muffler for the ultimate in power and weight reduction? Where did you get your cc EXHAUST FROM? Will I loose a lot of bottem end torque going with straight pipe?

Thank you,
Mike

cobrasvt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just one more vote similar to the post from KaiSRT10 regarding available aftermarket components. I have Belanger Headers, Random Tech Hi flow Cats and the Corsa track system. The system is on the edge of too loud for street use but the combination of these changes brought the power up to 489 RWHP on pump gas. For track only I would dump the Cats but this combo works well for the street.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Kai is right. With headers, no cats and a Corsa track, I think even you would be happy and eventually lose your hearing.

I tried this with B & B headers and had the Corsa track removed before the car left the shop. Way too loud for me. Unlike your vette, the side exhaust is right by your left ear.

Belanger's side exit exhaust system is also pretty loud when combined with their headers and no cats.

The comp coupe exhaust is just that, the exhaust system from a comp coupe. No way I'd do that, but you like it loud.

Dan

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that exhaust. I want straight pipe because you know I like obnoxiuos but Dan says it will sound bad and I'll loose bottom end torque. I think it weighs less than the corsa track too. When are you leaving for Vegas again?

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to say I'm not doing headers until the blower. How do you like your Belangers compared to the B&B's Dan?

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Z

I have the Mopar Race exhaust on my car. In fact. Dan (DC Performance) has worked on my car and he knows the sound. It is loud , but not too loud. It does drone though.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to call him tomorrow to verify but I think the comp coupe exhaust is different from the mopar race. Do you have cats? I'm suprised with the race yours isn't that loud. I'm afarid of putting this sytem on and it not being loud enough for my taste. What do you think of DC? Dan seems like a straight shooter and pemberton loves him.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, I don't know where you pulled that out of but thanks. I wish I could here that monkey reving. Santa, are you listening. Thanks for your post. :headbang: :2tu:

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to call him tomorrow to verify but I think the comp coupe exhaust is different from the mopar race. Do you have cats? I'm suprised with the race yours isn't that loud. I'm afarid of putting this sytem on and it not being loud enough for my taste. What do you think of DC? Dan seems like a straight shooter and pemberton loves him.

Z

I don't have cats. That audio clip of the CC sounds very similar to mine. Dan Craggin at DC Performance is great. Very knowledgable and does great work.

Carleton

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A CC with headers will be over 109db at the track! One reason the WC cars have the shorty is weight, power, about 8 hp I am told, and sound-they are at 103db-the max SCCA limit for WC and most tracks. Both systems are built by Corsa-I believe the stock CC system is their track system-without Cats or crossovers.I know this, because we just went to the shorty system on my CC and spoke with engineers at both Dodge and Corsa, and several WC teams before doing it. To loud on the street with draw too much unwanted attention.
Brian

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian,

So are there a couple different options on the CC exhaust? I have to call DC tomorrow for the appointment. I need to know what to ask for. If the CC has options I want the loudest most aggressive.

Thanks,
mike