$$$ Control Arm Bushing Replacement $$$

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok,

I live in Northern Virginia. I called up the local Dodge dealer off Rt.50 in Chantilly. I was quoted....drumroll please...whip out the KY..........$2100.00 to do an alignment and replace the front upper and lower control arm bushings. Holy crap. crap.crap. That's right, 12 hours labor!!!!!!! Does that include customer financed dealer beer runs and 2 packs of smoke breaks?

So I get on the phone and call our beloved Viper Wizard to explain (cry about) my story. He shares my sentiments and tells me to grab my ankles if I pay $2100.00. I almost cried after Chuck told me bushings should be 240 dollars, an alignment should be no more than $200.00, and 4 hours of labor later, he would hand me my keys and ask for a check for $1000.00. :omg: That right there is a 53% savings...man I hate you guys living close to Chuck.

So, my questions are:

1. To my DC Metro area people...is there someone else you could recommend I take my car to? I have no issues going to a reputable NON-Dodge shop.
  2. To everyone, has anyone done this on their own? Chuck, knowing that I have pulled the transmission off the car before along with all kinds of other advanced things felt I would have no issues taking out the control arms and having a shop press the bushings, thus saving hours of paid labor.
Thanks in advance!

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure you could do it yourself. Try stafford dodge in springfield, very good viper tech or BJ motors.

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
for that kinda savings, you ARE close enough to tators dodge....lol

lol..yeah that is what Chuck said. I could drive up there, have him do it and drive back and pay LESS in total cost. If I drive up to Tators Im taking a set of 3.55 gears and 1.7 RRs.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call AR Fab in Winchester (540) 722-3966. They can do the control arms for you I'm sure, but not the alignment. Although they can probably arrange it for you.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 2x bottom front a arms to fit tomorrow thanks for the Quote to charge him LOL..................

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy Energy Suspension control arm bushings for around $30/side. If you don't want to press them in yourself (which can be done a few different ways), you could easily remove the control arms, take them and the bushings to almost any shop that has a press, and I bet they will charge you less than $100.
You can do it!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a prototype set of Urenthane Control Arm bushings in my GTS. They ride tremendously smoother than stock.
We're getting more time on the car and giving feedback to the manufacturer after use (I drive the car pretty hard).
They will probably be available in a couple months.
Don't replace with the stock ones right now if you can wait....

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can buy Energy Suspension control arm bushings for around $30/side. If you don't want to press them in yourself (which can be done a few different ways), you could easily remove the control arms, take them and the bushings to almost any shop that has a press, and I bet they will charge you less than $100.
You can do it!

They have a part number, but they don't exist in production yet.
That's what I have on my car.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume that this is a Gen2 discussion, not a Gen1 discussion. Gen1 bushings are very expensive and becoming very hard to get.

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean! Let me know ASAP....I have been looking for the Energy ones for a while......I need CA bushings and wanted poly ones. :2tu:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CROM, if you're willing to wait for the ones Chimazo and Sean mentioned, we could make a project day out of it...I'd like to do this on my car as well. Just let me know!

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't live close to Chuck, but still took it there to get work done. Spent like $600 in gas last summer for the truck/trailer dropping the car off and then going back to pick up the car. Chuck also let me store the trailer at his place instead of driving back with an empty trailer. He is a hell of a good guy, but we all already know that. :)

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck told me that GEN1 is different. I have found part numbers for Energy Suspension GEN II applications but maybe they are incorrect? They list them so maybe they exist? I have no problems waiting Sean. This will be something I pursue in the fall or winter months.

This is for GEN 2, look at my AVATAR.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been told the lower Gen 1 bushings were wider and to install Gen 2 arms on a Gen 1 frame I would need to add spacers between the frame brackets.

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sean, as an upgrade from stock, how do these new poly busings compare to the delrin ones that have been around for a number of years?

Wow, for $2100 you could almost do monoballs, not that you would necessarily want to run those on a street car.

jordan01GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in need of changing my rear bushings, I talked to the local parts guy at dodge and he told me that I need to buy new arms because they arent available, of course I wanted to try and find them myself first so I have been looking and the part number dont match from the ES web site to the autozone site. what would be the best place to order these from, I need to find something soon mine are in bad shape and i already have the arms off.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Energy Suspension has ahad a part number for a couple years.
Their original 1 of 1 set is on my car.
They made them one piece, but they needed to be two.
Give them a little time to finish the new molds and they'll be available.
They ride smooooth :)
Regards,
Sean

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Energy Suspension has ahad a part number for a couple years.
Their original 1 of 1 set is on my car.
They made them one piece, but they needed to be two.
Give them a little time to finish the new molds and they'll be available.
They ride smooooth :)
Regards,
Sean

Sean.........

Ok, ES has had time.

I need these control arm bushings, along with a set of poly motor mounts.

You have????????

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Spoke with Sean yesterday. He called Energy Suspension yesterday after we spoke. He is still waiting for a return call. looks as if Woodhouse for the engine mounts and stock replacements for the bushings????????????:dunno:

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anybody with a Gen I or Gen II is interested, call:

Jeff Bonnett
You must be registered for see images

Remember, you're not just getting free suspension bushing, but helping out the community as a whole for replacement parts down the road.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A free set of bushings and wheel alignment? Rears too? So that would be a freebie worth about $4,000? It's almost tempting to drive there, lol.

Wonder if they want to wait 'til spring?

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235