Corsa exhaust and GTS drone

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys, I need some help and I am looking for honest opinions.
I have bought 2 different exhaust systems for my GTS but want something different because of the dreaded drone issue inherent with GTS's.
The first system I installed, Randomtech, sounded great but had extremely bad drone and didn't cool the side sills at all, it was actually worse, so that went to the local recycling plant.
I have Snake Oyl cat-back installed now and it is great and sounds awesome but again, the drone issue.
To try and alleviate drone, I filled the spare tire compartment with blankets and towels and then covered the entire area with a piece of plexiglass but it did not make any difference.
I want honest opinions on Corsa exhaust for our Vipers. Is the drone issue more, the same, or less. If it is indeed less, I will buy a system this week but PLEASE give me your honest opinions.
BTW, my car is stock with no engine mods.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my car it had factory cats and the upgraded mopar exhaust.Horrible drone
went to Random tech 3" cats and cat -back no more drone but the heat in the sills is as bad or worse, just as you found.Do you have factory cats?

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2001 GTS and bought it used with the Borla exhaust which had no rear mufflers.

It had a horrible drone to it at 1500 and 200RPM. It made my ears ring. I modified it with an h-pipe, then twin 12" bullet mufflers and that really did not help the drone.

The added spin-tech mufflers on the back and it lowered the sound level quit a bit, but it still had a very low frequency drone which made the car not too pleasant to be in for any extended period of time.

Then I swapped it out for a corsa with the stock cats and it sounded great!!! The corsa solves the drone issue with good engineering and their system is nicely matched up to the stock cats.

Then like an idiot I replaced my stock cats with Roe High-flows and the car became very loud again and droned a bit, but not as bad as the Borla system.

So I would say, if you leave your stock cats in and install a corsa you should be very happy. Great sounding exhaust.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
We have: Stock 97 GTS...Corsa cat-back...NO drone.

Stock 99 GTS ACR...Borla cat-back...plenty of drone.

Stock 01 GTS...Borla cat-back...plenty of drone.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Roe High Flo's and Corsa, and Randon Tek High Flo's with Corsa on my cars, they both have NO drone. Corsa costs more than the others, they have the technology that stops the drone in any RPM.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock 1996 GTS - Bought the Snake Oyl and hated it for the drone and the Jimmy Durante tips. Made my own with H pipe and liked the sound improvement and drone decrease versus Snake Oyl, but still more drone than stock. Bought a used Corsa 2.5" system, cut of the fugly oval tips (IMO) and welded in a set of chromed OEM tips. Looks stock, sounds better and no drone. Perfect solution for me.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a 96 GTS with Corsa and I love the sound. I've heard Borla are known for a louder, deeper sound... which can inturn give it the drone sound at certain rpm ranges...

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa with factory cats: No drone. Great first upgrade!!
Corsa without cats: DRONE OMG
Corsa with Hi-Flow Cats: No drone
Corsa with Headers and no cats: DRONE
Corsa with Headers and hi-flow cats: no drone
Corsa with ROE, Headers, no cats: Just plain loud!!
Corsa with ROE, Headers, hi-flow cats: PERFECT.

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer a few questions....No I do not have the stock cats they are probably melted down and made into a quarter panel for a Dodge Avenger. Right now I have Snake Oyl hi-flow cats/muffs. With this setup, the muffs are in the side sill and not in the back of the car which may or may not contribute to the drone.
I will not put the exhaust back to stock because it is to quiet. I know you can get good tone from the exhaust with no drone, just have to find the right combo.
I tried the Randomtech cats and hated them! Sills were so hot you fry an egg on them and I am not kidding. As a matter of fact, I am having my sills repainted because the heat from those cats discolored them.
I think I will leave the Snake Oyl HF cats on and call Alan to buy the Corsa cat back and try that out. If I still have drone, I can always try Sean's HF cats.
One question though, why isn't anybody using the HF cat that comes with the Corsa system?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When did Snake Oyl start making catalytic converters for Vipers? I've never seen any such product ever advertised. From your description, you make it sound like the resonators that are included with the exhaust systems you purchased ARE the HF Catalytic Converters, which is simply not the case. The below picture is of a system that Snake Oyl sells. Those big cylindrical things are not cats, but resonators. Just curious. Note: I just looked at the Snake Oyl site, and apparently they will make a custom system and include cats and headers...for around 4900 bucks :omg: You don't happen to have any pictures of your system do you?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hook up with other members for a sample.
I found Corsa with stock cats to be the best for driving comfort. Not as radical as others but sounds good.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get headaches from the drone in my GTS.
I put on the Corsa cat back and the drone is gone. The sound is mellow at low rpm but really sounds great when you hit the gas.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had....
Corsa + Stock cats + Stock motor (2000 GTS)
Corsa + High Flow cats + Stock motor (2000 GTS)
Corsa + High Flow cats + Striker Head + Cam + SVS Headers (2000 GTS)
Corsa + NO Cats + Striker Head + Cam + SVS Headers (2000 GTS)
all combo's w 3:55 gear ratio

NEVER had any drone, never been loud inside the car with any combination. As quiet as a stock Viper cruising at 70 mph inside the car with any combo above. You can roll up your windows and whisper to one another if that's your deal. Down shift to fourth and lay into it on the freeway and you'll likely cause a wreck, people literally get frightened from the sound. Corsa is without a doubt the top performance exhaust AND it has ZERO restrictions, no perferations, no baffles protruding. It's the most amazing system out there, pure science.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Only one solution if you are looking for a reasonably quiet, no drone GTS interior.
Stock cats with Corsa. Corsa has a very small technical "target" window to operate properly in and they only work properly with stock cats. I spent considerable time talking to their
resident sond tech on this very subject, trust me...its a fact. Everything else might (might!) eliminate the dronning, but if you are noticing that the sound levels bother you now, anything that uses a high flo cat will double your sound...period. You will get rid of the drone and be left with just plain LOUD. If you don't notice the difference between a stock cat and any high flo cat interior, you have already lost considerable hearing. If you do notice a difference (and it appears you still can) and you want to keep your hearing....stock cats, Corsa. No you don't need high flo cats to make your rig run strong unless its got positive induction....without superchargers/turbos its all (only) about sound and you dont need MORE sound. If you have a heat issue, there are other solutions.

Gonna spend the money to make your GTS quieter......only one solution.
Oh yea...welcome to the "rip it out to return to quiet" club, these threads are filled with members...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx for all the help guys, stock cats and Corsa cat-back it is!
I don't have the stock cats anymore but will call Paul Scharf, I am pretty sure he will have them.

And Crom, I do not if S.O. actually makes their own cats or somebody else makes them all I know is that I have HF cats/muffs on my car which I bought and had installed from S.O. If I am mistaken I will let you know.

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the latest corsa exhaust on mine and i'm very happy with it. It's actually a little quieter than stock at idle I think, but has a nice growl. No more drone at cruising speeds and when you really get on it, the sound is very good and not obscenely loud. A buddy of mine has an earlier corsa and his is much louder than mine, i'm not sure if that was before the RSC technology stuff that corsa has now though.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
High Flo cats don't cause any additional drone with Corsa.
Of course it will be louder, but that's different then the mind numbing drone at certain RPM's.
If your just sensitive to the louder sound, that's different than the drone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456