Couple of other SRT-10 Coupe pics.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one am not impressed. I looked the pictures over and over trying to determine why I don't think it's a good design. Some of my thoughts...

- Conflicting styles. The car has some nice curves but also abrupt and sharp angles. This doesn't work well. It looks like they tried to take some styling cues from the GTS, particularly in the rear of the car, but it just doesn't work because of the harsh angles and proportions used. It almost feels like some ricers who slap aftermarket body panels on their cars. It just doesn't flow.

- Rear is too short and abrupt.

- Car feels too high off the ground and too much clearance between tires and fenders.

- Wheel diameter is too large, making it appear disproportional.

- Nice curves/lip on the rear hatch.

- top has nice curves.

In my opinion, good designs have good flow and consistent angles/curves. Most cars that have timeless designs don't have sharp angles. Sharp angles date a car and 10 years from now it will not be "in". It's a trend. The GTS and the RT designs "flowed" and had beautiful curves. They will never get old or feel dated.

I'm an Art Director, so I may be a bit pickier than the rest. No flame intended, just wanted to express my views.

WickedV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it me or did they use GEN-1/2 like tail lights? :headbang:

You must be registered for see images

Also, what's up with those ugly reflectors on the rear quarter panels?

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cratica,

I think the problem is you're an art director, not a fashion director.

The juxtaposition of flowing and chiseled shapes is all the rage these days, Bangle's BMWs being the most well known examples.

I'm not saying I like it (I agree with you), just that it does seem to be today's fashion.

The same goes for the ultra-short front and rear overhangs. They can look strange, especially on a coupe, but that's what's in vogue.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right and you make my point.

It's the rage these days. But what about tomorrow? I think the best designs are designs that stand the test of time. This will not because as you said, it seems to be today's fashion.

I happen to think the BMW z4 design is a step backward from the z3 design too. It's just plain ugly. Flowing curves with chiseled hard edges just look hideous IMHO.

S

sachin

"- Car feels too high off the ground and too much clearance between tires and fenders."

This is the one thing that stood out to me the most

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Back looks abrupt like the C6 and chunky bumper kinda Mustangish.....The curve is missing in the front fender lines beginning from the side view mirror like on the GTS...They were obviously channeling the GTS to design this new body......Other these few niggles I like it. Still prefer the GTS overall styling tho..Its hard to beat..

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'll have to wait to see one in person before making up my mind. I was not impressed by the SRT in pictures but was happily surprised when I saw one in person - especially the White Mamba. As a die hard convertible guy - and one hoping to upgrade my '93 to an SRT - I can only hope that many SRT owners will have to the new coupe and make the SRT a little more affordable.

PS - Had to show my 15 year old the pictures and he thought the Coupe was "TIGHT" - although the wheels need to be changed and the car lowered a bit. He also picked up on the side exhaust vs. a rear exit.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man oh man, am I glad I kept the GTS. Surely this is just a prototype and additional changes are forthcoming?!??!

ChrisL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice pics. thank you for sharing

You're welcome. That is my home page. I cant take credit either.. I'm just saving pics I've seen here and elsewhere.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which looks better the SRT coupe or an SRT10 with hardtop:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, cratica is absolutely right in his design philosophy. the Gen 1 & II designs are timeless. The Z4 ***** while the Z3 is beautiful to look at. BTW, Chris Bangle was moved to some other dept/role because of that god awful bulge on the trunk lid of the 7-series.

But back to Vipers and I have to agree with cratica and snakebitten. Looks like Chrysler didn't give a clean enough slate to the designer or the designer is not good enough. Designs must have harmony to be timeless. There's just too much clutter. Here's my $0.02.

- Red reflector on the rear quarter panel should go.
- The break in the flow on the rear bumper where it meets the rear quarter panel should be smoothened.
- The rear bumper doesn't look round-edged or square edged and doesn't flow at all with most of the rear of the car.
- The panel behind the rear hatch seems too big and should not have a break.
- B-frame doesn't seem to line up with the door.
- Those extra-wide stripes look horrible, stick with the GTS size.
- The mismatch between the rear of the car flowing around curved lines and the front flowing along angled lines seems obvious.
- I could complain about the front but given that it's all SRT, what's the point.
- Overall I'd say if we cut an SRT front and stick it to a GTS rear, we'd get the SRT coupe. Very amateurish!

DC,
please give us the CC body style on the coupe. It seems to fit the all angled aggressive look. Why can't you design what we want? Fire your lead designer and hire me. :D

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW not to toot my own horn but the coupe lines looks remarkably like my photoshop of 6 months ago............

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

WOW thats a really nice hard top, is it real or photoshoped??? Ifs its real please post the contact info so I can order one.

vd..

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW not to toot my own horn but the coupe lines looks remarkably like my photoshop of 6 months ago............
Yes it does look very similar. In fact as I stated, it is a SRT front joined to a GTS rear. While it looks good in that side angle, it looks horrible otherwise.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, but I'm pretty happy with the performance improvement. It's the looks dept that *****.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakebitten, I like the looks of your photoshop Viper more.

The coupe now reminds me of a Vette with that big wide chopped off rear end.

Also, I miss the race gas cap on the GTS.

The new coupe looks much "friendlier" than the GTS. The GTS is just plain badass looking.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
SnakeBitten-I really like what you did with the tailights. They don't look so obviously lifted from a GTS, and they aren't tucked in behind an awkward rear spoiler. Your design looks much better in that regard. That makes the lines flow better.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really sure what to think. I like the front but the back needs a little work. It might grow on me but only time will tell. I like the back of the SRT-10 Convertible better and I hate the back of that car.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Vic and Tim....Just added the GTS roof, rear glass and trunk lip..Everything else is SRT10...I too think they could clean up the rear end a bit...and add some porportion to the profile...Nice curve over the rear wheel into the door on the new coupe...But then it flatlines all the way to the front...

I hope you guys dont take this as bashing...I love that DC listens to its customers...Im sure they would like feedback if this is indeed just a prototype....Check out the GTS perfect porportion in this pic to see where Im coming from....

1797heffner_viper1.jpg

No look at the lines on the SRT Coupe:

1797ViperJ1.jpg