Creative Exhaust Ideas

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish to change my stock exhaust on my 2001 RT/10 because the heat is starting to fade the paint a little.

I am under budget constraints, so I am toying with the idea of just changing the Cats.

I also had s strange idea to run a straight pipe after a new higher flow cat back in place of the side resonator. Has anyone done this? What good is the side resonator?

Does anyone have anything used in good shape for sale as the stock exhaust pipes are hideous out the back.

Thanks for any input. :)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gtd, does your car have to pass a sniffer test to pass inspection :dunno:

also, are you after only heat reduction or more/better sound too :eater:

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the side resonators are Good, the heat you are trying to get rid of comes from the Cats.
I recommend for anyone removing a cat to replace it with atleast straight-thru muffler/resonator.
Some need to go with hiflows to pass inspection...

I'll give you a couple examples in a sec. Your running stock 2.25"/2.50" right?
do you still have the rear muffler?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer both of your questions, Everything I have is completely stock and never been touched, and is a complete stock system all the way back to the tailpipes.

I do not have to pass any test.

Yes, I would like better sound, but I do not want it to be too loud and/or drone.

Thanks.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a pair of Random Technologies HF Cats new in the box that I would consider selling reasonably. PM me and we can discuss.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the JonB Random Techs. I do not like 'loud' at all. I have these in my car, and the heat has dropped WAY down, noise up only slightly, and better than stock by a long shot.

I honestly could barely tell - noise wise - that I did anything to the exhuast. Heat however is a totally different matter. I can actually touch the side sills without issue.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the JonB Random Techs. I do not like 'loud' at all. I have these in my car, and the heat has dropped WAY down, noise up only slightly, and better than stock by a long shot.

I honestly could barely tell - noise wise - that I did anything to the exhuast. Heat however is a totally different matter. I can actually touch the side sills without issue.

Did you buy the 2 1/2" or the 3" random techs? I see in your signature line that you bought the Metallic substrate Cats, right? Was there a reason you went with metallic instead of Ceramic Cats?

I assume you left all the rest of the stock exhuast intact. Thanks. :)

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish to change my stock exhaust on my 2001 RT/10 because the heat is starting to fade the paint a little.

I am under budget constraints, so I am toying with the idea of just changing the Cats.

I also had s strange idea to run a straight pipe after a new higher flow cat back in place of the side resonator. Has anyone done this? What good is the side resonator?

Does anyone have anything used in good shape for sale as the stock exhaust pipes are hideous out the back.

Thanks for any input. :)
I agree, they are "hideous looking out the back". I went with side exit on my old GTS. Not too expensive and you would not believe the weight savings !!

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took out the rear muffler on my GTS and replace it with an X-pipe.I think it had a nice sound and sounded different from most vipers.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you buy the 2 1/2" or the 3" random techs? I see in your signature line that you bought the Metallic substrate Cats, right? Was there a reason you went with metallic instead of Ceramic Cats?

I assume you left all the rest of the stock exhuast intact. Thanks. :)

I went with whatever slid straight on, presumably the 2 1/2. Yes, JonB did suggest the metal, got me on the phone with the manufacturer who further consulted/convinced me of same.

JonB really steered me straight on this thing. I was probably more concerned than you about regretting the noise level. Not a concern.

I called a local 'specialty' installer who instilled no confidence in their level of care, and then called MIDAS - if you can believe it. They did a fabulous job, were super careful, and the whole install was under $200, don't recall exactly. I of course removed the rocker covers before the trip.

Everything else is stock. The heat difference is amazing. (I also have the vents on the front of my rockers, purchased from West Marine and installed by yours truly.)

I'm now considering an 'x' pipe muffler for the rear, much smaller than the current factory behemoth, but haven't gotten time to research.

It is fine now as is. A good throaty sound when jumping on it, but all else, such as idle and low speed, no big change in sound.

Hope this helps,

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took out the rear muffler on my GTS and replace it with an X-pipe.I think it had a nice sound and sounded different from most vipers.

What brand and size X pipe? Did it match right up with the old pipes and where does it start? Thanks.

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got it from summit racing.It needs to be weld in place of the stock muffler.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i also did a muffler delete + x-pipe. i used this 1:

MagnaFlow 10791 - MagnaFlow Tru-X Stainless Steel Crossover Pipes - Overview - SummitRacing.com

if i were to do it again, i'd use one of these (probably the cherry bomb):

Cherry Bomb 429835 - Cherry Bomb Universal X-Pipes - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Summit Racing SUM-643125 - Summit Racing® Narrow Universal X-Pipe Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

if you want (possibly) less drone (mine is minimal and now easily controllable by controlling rpm's) the an x-pipe type muffler as in the thread above:

Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Ultra Flo™ X Mufflers

it (x-pipe muffler delete) is louder, but makes driving more enjoyable for me - can make the car sing

:drive:

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, always been concerned about the noise with high flows on Gen II cars. That is why mine are still stock. Everyone always says high flow cats really turn up the volume. I guess the stock cat-back must really tone it down?

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, always been concerned about the noise with high flows on Gen II cars. That is why mine are still stock. Everyone always says high flow cats really turn up the volume. I guess the stock cat-back must really tone it down?

If you add a metallic subsrtate Cat with a Cat back system (probably any of them) it will be LOUD. I had that setup (Corsa with metallic Cats) and I got a headache/ear ache everytime I drove the car. I changed, On Jon B's great recommendation, to a Ceramic substrate Cat and that toned it down and it was fine. This was all on my 98 GTS that I do not have anymore.

I put a stock exhaust on it first (took the Corsa off) with the Metallic Cat and it was not too bad, but I did not like the sound--too low and rumbly a lot of drone. But remember, on a GTS you have virtually a big subwoofer effect with that back window that an RT/10 does not have. I think I could put a metallic Cat on an RT/10 and be fine.

This is a very good conversation. Thanks everyone.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hi flows and stock catback is the way it should have sounded from the factory :2tu:

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi flows and stock catback is the way it should have sounded from the factory :2tu:

I must agree. Since this is what I did, you MUST be correct!

I am half flirting with the X pipe/muffler idea though. The DynoFlow with my metallic RT cat ought to make it perfect.

Now, if I could just do something about those tips...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DynoFlow with my metallic RT cat ought to make it perfect.

Whats a dynoflow?

Now, if I could just do something about those tips...

Whats the prob?:dunno: Pick a tip and have them weld em on when they replace your muffler. This is what they do!
A good shop will have in stock a couple of diff styles. If you dont like then they will look through the cataloges with you and order one. Or you can simply order it yourself:
here is 174 to pick from:
Exhaust Tips - SummitRacing.com

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
x-pipe muffler delete is a must with HF cats. but i prefer NO cats much more. they are always a problem IMO if you drive your car.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was going to go with a B&B cat-back on my 99RT but may just do the RT high flow cats with the stock cat-back after reading this thread. The cooler sills is a plus and I'd like to steer clear of extreme volume! The X pipe sounds interesting too. I've seen the "official" exhaust sound clip thread but I did not come across this setup. Anyone have sound clips of either high-flow cats with the stock cat-back with or without X-pipe?

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats a dynoflow?

It's a slurred combination of MagnaFlow and Dynomax. I really meant Dynomax.

Whats the prob?:dunno: Pick a tip and have them weld em on when they replace your muffler. This is what they do!
A good shop will have in stock a couple of diff styles. If you dont like then they will look through the cataloges with you and order one. Or you can simply order it yourself:
here is 174 to pick from:
Exhaust Tips - SummitRacing.com

Good source. Our locals don't have much to look at, never spent the time finding/eyeballing different styles. I just know the stock one doesn't do much for me. Thanks for the link.

Dave, your side exhaust is REALLY what Dodge should've done with the Gen 2 GTS. Flawless fitment I notice. You don't know any prefectionists do you?

On a completely different note (and keeping with the thread title) I have an original 'fan tail' 4 tip exhaust from a V12 Etype hanging in my garage. Makes me wonder.

Last edited:

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Mike (99R/T 10) if you havn't already as he has enough spare parts to build you just about any Gen Viper you wanted...
As for an exact answer to the question, go catless with a high flow muffler and the rear muffler delete with the X pipe, using 3in piping with 4in tips for more exhaust flow volume. If suddenly your budget free's up, throw on a set of Belanger headers with a hard piping K&N style intake to top it off.