Cruise Control?

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering what others think about the lack of this amenity on the SRT. I've only had my SRT for a week but am using it as a daily driver (as opposed to my GTS). I realize that the Viper's image is one of raw power and no ***** options (although DC did make a concession to A/C and now a cup holder...assuming that's what that is when you take the ash tray out) but when I'm cruising on the highway, it sure would be nice to make my foot more comfortable and not have to look down at the speedo all the time. BTW, I have thick skin and don't mind being bashed.

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think a cruise control should be offered as an option. On long trips I was using my left foot on the gas to give my right foot a rest. Not exactly the safest way to drive. I finally got the Snake-Oly unit for my 2003 SRT-10. It much more enjoyable to drive it on the highway now.

The Snake-Oly unit works good except it doesn't have a kill switch on the clutch so you have to remember to kill it with the brake or the engine will race as you slow down.

Howard

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much effort would it take to run another couple wires to a second cut off switch on the clutch pedal? Last thing I'd want is to have the stereo cranked and see the tach peg before I realized I should have spent $5 more.

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've not tried to modify the Snake-Oyl unit. If you push the clutch in without killing the setting with the brake the engine will race however it doesn't peg the tach and you have plenty of time to tap the brake.

Howard

AndyP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes cruise would be great, I just did a 16,000km 6-week trip and cruise,compass and outside temp would be great, and those options would not take away from the viper, it would take alot to lesson a VIPER, it is ;) now as much of a touring car as it is a raceing machine.
Andy Perrotta

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cruise control, cost would be low compared to the speeding tickets you'd get going 85 when you think your doing about 60 And that crippled ankle thing from trying to hold the throttle position, well I'll take it. It won't add much weight to the car, can't hurt performance, cost little, there perfected in design, gotta love that resume mode.

I use cruise on any car I have all the time. We don't seem to be complaining about the power windows, and A/C to much, lets add the cruise. The Viper looks very simple to add it to, unlike most cars that would be a nightmare to add this on. I run in sixth gear on good level roads, and it just seems to keep creeping up there on me.

Skip

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a new book out by Matt Stone.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a quote on the SRT by Herb Helbig in the book.."When people come to me and say 'you know it really needs cruise control; I took one to Chicago and my right foot got kinda tired...' that guy gets thrown out of my office. Or a guy comes in and says 'you know, it would be cool if we had power seats' that guy gets thrown out of the building. And the guy who says 'I think we need an automatic transmission' well, they're still looking for his body."

Ya gotta love Herb :D

DR-V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do not need cruise control seldom use in my other cars. The car needs to be taken for what it is, pure raw power. If wanted those amenities would have stay with BMW

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something like cruise control cannot be that difficult to have as an option. And for those who want amenity free cars don't order the option.

Same for a temp gauge and compass in the mirror. They are not considered high tech anymore. Just about every car has them as an option.

The same logic would be against a CD payer (why not an 8 track for you retro types?).

I do agree when you start talking about amenities that add weight or detract from the performance potential. But higher tech things that add to the performance (aka ABS) should be included if affordable.

my $0.02

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, on the compass and temp gauge, where can I get one of those. I love the compass, I allways use it just to make sure I'm heading in the right direction, or when someone gives you the kind of directions that are full of, "go south two miles then head east, etc.

There are a few good things that can make the driving experiance better, without sacrificing much. Can you imagine no power sterring with those big front tires.

Skip

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd like to add cruise too. And yes, the speed does creep up on the freeway, and the speedo can be a bit hard to really read precisely (for when a cop is following you) I'll try snake oyl for the cruise. Are there any other aftermarket "cruises" they anyone knows of? And yes, a temp gauge / compass should be standard. If someone makes one of these, I'd buy it too. Too bad Mopar doesn't add these two items to the 05 and sell us the parts, I'd have them installed.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is arrogant quotes like this from Herb (as well as others from the big 3) that p*ss me off more than anything. We are the people buying these cars, give us what WE want. Stop trying to tell us that we dont need 650hp motors, real roll bars, 5 point harness',3.55 gears and a A/F ratio of 13/1 at WOT, so I can at least make the advertised hp. Since 1996 I have bought 9 new Vipers. So Herb how about listening to what I want, instead of being so self indulgent that you are alienating the people who have given you the opportunity to make this a world class automobile?
Ya I know Herb is leaving, but i feel better now! Go ahead and delete this post before anyone from PVO reads it.

Ps. that 10k you saved on building the SRT10 would just about cover the above.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Herb was using that humorous quote to make a point, not to be arrogant. Viper is resistant to turning the Viper into a Vette. Adding lots of gizmo's to the car not only adds weight, but complexity. More things to deal with at the track. It's the image that he is preserving. The pressure to add a bunch more gadgets must be intense.
Many people are not happy to see all the muscle cars dissapearing. The Viper, (and maybe the SRT Ram) are the most thrilling vehicles to drive, made in the USA.
:usa: